WEEKEND! This rainy weather won’t stop us from going out this weekend. There’s plenty to do in Amsterdam and we’ve listed everything for you in the Amsterdam Weekend Guide. Grab a bite at Amstel Boathouse before going to the De Parade with friends or go to the movies at the Pluk de Nacht Festival. No idea what to do this weekend in Amsterdam? Check out all our tips in this new Amsterdam Weekend Guide for August 18, 19 & 20. TIP: We just added new addresses to our Amsterdam City Guide app! With 700 of the best addresses we’ve collected during 5 years of Your Little Black Book our app will guide you to only the best places in town. From lunch spots to neighborhood guides, restaurants and a nearby map search so you can always find a spot close by. Available for iOS and Android, for only € 3,49. I really hope you like this new extension of Your Little Black Book! TIP: Our new Toronto Travel Guide that I made together with Jet Airways is LIVE now! With over 64 hotspots in the coolest neighbourhoods, restaurant tips, things to do & more.
- At Remise47, the whole month August is all about the best mussels of Amsterdam. With who do you want to go on a mussels date?
- The renovated Amstel Boathouse lays within walking distance of the Martin Luther Kingpark where De Parade in Amsterdam takes place this year. During this theater festival (til August 27) the existing menu will be transformed into a culinary Parade menu. Enjoy a shared dining menu with 7 dishes and get an entry ticket and a ticket for one of the shows for only € 45, – per person.
- Every Sunday in August you can go to the Summer Nights at Park Café – Restaurant. Enjoy a 3 course dinner with a glass of bubbles for € 33.50 or a sangria with a piadina for € 24 euro.
- Saturday August 19 you can BBQ at Bilder & De Clerq. The Green Egg will be outside with Lindenhoff burgers and Brandt and Levie sausages on the grill. So good!
- Attention all Bloody Mary lovers! This summer you can go to a new boozy brunch pop-up in Amsterdam (but also in Rotterdam and The Hague)! We’ve tested it for you so check the date quickly and read all about it >>
- Till September 2 you can go to island Pampus with the boat for a culinary surprise evening at pop-up restaurant Zomerlicht. No boat? No worries. You will be picked up with the motor clipper Sailboa at IJburg and you’ll arrive 30 minutes later at Pampus.
PS: did you see the latest vlog on YOURLBB.TV yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx-pykGz9OE
- Do you want to know which restaurants will open soon? Keep an eye on our new ‘Coming Soon’ section! We just added new ones.
- One new restaurant and an interior store in Amsterdam to go to real quick!
- Do you want to eat healthy but not in the mood to cook? Order online, because we listed our 12 favourite spots where you can order a healthy breakfast and 17 favourite spots where you can order healthy things. But also our favourite places in Amsterdam West and Amsterdam Oost where you can order too.
- Throughout the month August you can sip oysters on Sundays and cheers with bubbles at Restaurant MOER. The oysters are € 1 and a glass (bio) Cava only € 5.
- Tip: We have a lot more fun lists! Check them here >>
- Come to The Butcher Social Club this Saturday and enjoy music of the upcoming band Zoh during The Sir Summer Tour of European Hotels Private Collections (EHPC). This is a special tour that provides a platform to young, upcoming artists in the 4 Sir Hotel cities – Ibiza, Amsterdam, Hamburg and Berlin. This Saturday Zoh is playing their new EP First World Problems in The Butcher Social Club. I have been to this performance in Ibiza and it’s definitely recommended!
- Every day you can go to Amsterdamse Bos and visit several theater performances at Bostheater. For example, come to this musical theater performance about love this weekend. “Because our generation doesn’t want a relationship, but she doesn’t know either what she wants.” Check out the full program overhere.
- So much fun: this Sunday you can dance on the beach at Pllek during the Stille Disco. Headphones on, feet in the sand and dance on old and new disco, hip hop & afro tunes.
- YES De Parade has started! The most fun theater festival of the Netherlands that takes place in the Martin Luther Kingpark. For two weeks long you can visit over 60 theater-, dance-, mime- and music performances at various theater tents, enjoying great food at the special food trucks and hopefully enjoy the sun.
- Until August 26, you can go to Pluk de Nacht Festival, one of the best outdoor cinemas this summer at the Stenen Hoofd at the IJ. Lie in a beach chair and enjoy movies that usually are not shown in the Netherlands because they are too small, weird, too experimental or too exuberant.
- On Saturday August 19 you can go roller skating in the Vondelpark. Follow a workshop, skate around a bit and try not to crash into pedestrians. Ps: skates are for rent.
- This Sunday (with good weather), city beach DOK Amsterdam is going to be a jungle for Don’t Feed The Animals. Crash in a beach chair and enjoy relaxed Soul and Jazz music. In the afternoon they will add R&B and House hits, confetti and Jagermeistershots.
- Sunday August 20 it’s time for the traditional picnic at ARTZUID. At the visitors pavilion (Minervalaan 1) the picnic tables are ready and local residents and other visitors can take place at the picnic tables from 12 PM, or search for a nice spot between ARTZUID’s artworks with their own picknick garment. Let’s have some fun and enjoy the free music concerts.
- This weekend (Saturday and Sunday) you can visit the Save the Waves Film Festival in FC Hyena. An International film festival featuring the most beautiful documentaries and movies that will inspire and inform you about how we can protect the coastlines. Movies can’t change the world – but the people watching them can ;-)
- Until August 20 the Grachtenfestival is present in Amsterdam. Thé festival for classical music in the heart of the city. Check out the entire festival program here.
- Come this Saturday to the Canal Movie Night and watch the movie La La Land with your lover on a big screen from the water. How romantic!
- TIP: Lowlands has an amazing line up. Artists like Alt-J, Moderat and Solange(!) will be on stage this year and we will be there. Which artists will you check out this weekend?
- Go to one of these 10 super fun outdoor cinemas in Amsterdam and enjoy a movie on the beach, from the water or at a subway station!
- And these are the food festivals you can’t miss this August and September!
- In for a cultural afternoon? These are the best exhibitions in Amsterdam of this month!
- No idea what to do today? Check out our Amsterdam Bucketlist with 56 things you should have done at least once in your life!
- Planning a movie date? These are the nicest movies to watch in cinema this month!
- Do you like to go to a festival? But don’t like camping? Then Lowlands Gllamcamp has the perfect solution for you! Never sleep in a leaking tent again.
- Come to the Kloffie Boutique in de Hallen on Friday August 18 and shop second hand designer, vintage treasures and collectors items!
- This is the great Lowlands packlist. What do you have to bring to thé festival of the year?
- Looking for fun vintage items? Come this Sunday to the Kofferbakmarkt on the Aambeeldstraat at the IJ and score second-hand items from one of the trunks of countless cars.
- How do you create a well-styled photo and how do you make magazine-worthy pictures with your smartphone? Follow Saturday August 19 or Saturday September 9 a workshop and get to know the art of Styling. Learn to look better, combine and develop a creative mind. Wenda, stylist for magazines like Elle and Flair, takes you step-by-step into the world of styling.
- This summer, you can shop at Batavia Stad during the week until 8 PM and you will get extra high discounts during the SALE period (till August 20). Did you know that they have brands such as Scotch & Soda, Fred de la Bretonière, Summum Woman, Tommy Hilfiger, Denham, Calvin Klein, America Today, Shabbies Amsterdam, G-Star and Samsonite at Batavia Stad? Check out all the brands at Batavia Stad Outlet over here. Tip: From Amsterdam, a shuttlebus runs to Batavia Stad Fashion Outlet every day.
- SALE! At most webshops you get 50-70% discount. Perfect if you need anything for your next city trip or holiday. Check out our favorite stores: MANGO -50%, ZALANDO -70%. NET-A-PORTER -70%, ASOS -70%, SCOTCH & SODA –50% and HUNKEMÖLLER -50%:
- Until September 23 you can go to Legends Passed at Eduard Planting Galerie, they give a tribute to legends that are no longer with us. Think of Prince, David Bowie, Muhammad Ali, Chuck Berry, Johan Cruijff and Roger Moore. Let yourself be enchanted by seeing nostalgic portraits of the legends that we still miss each day.
- Come to Streets of the World of Jeroen Swolfs until September 30. Streets of the World is a project by Dutch photojournalist Jeroen Swolfs. Over the last 7 years, the photographer traveled around the world to take pictures of street life in every capital of the world. 195 photos and 195 countries later, he wants to give the world a new, positive perspective of the world now that the negative images are spreading daily through the news. Make a trip through different countries and cities based on his special photos.
- LAST CALL: Until August 27 you can go to Het Scheepvaartmuseum Amsterdam for Ode aan een Amsterdammer. Amsterdam is a city where everything is possible and allowed and this exhibition understood that well. You can wacht about 70 portraits of inhabitants of Amsterdam that show how much diversity and character the city of Amsterdam has.
- Visit the Moco Museum, our favourite museum in Amsterdam! On the ground floor you can go to Banksy: Laugh Now. About 50 works can be seen here from the street art legend, and you have to have seen that at least once. You can also go to the beautiful exhibition of Salvador Dalí. 28 years ago, one of the most famous artists died and his most iconic works, for example the melting clocks and tables with ‘high heels’ are ready to be seen at the Moco Museum till August 30.
Our newest lists
- Go to the Tropenmuseum (until July 2018) for the exhibition Body Art where you learn everything about body decorations. From make-up and tattoos, to skin implants and surgical changes. Sounds cool right?
LAST CALL: At Tassenmuseum Hendrikje you can go to the exhibition; It’s a Men’s World. Since 15 years we can’t think of a world without the men’s bag. For every type of man, there’s a bag that fits him. But this is not new. Till August 27 you can go to the exhibition about the man, his world and his bag.
Do you need more inspiration? Check out the other 16 exhibitions in Amsterdam of this month.
- Do you already have a ticket for THE summer festival of 2017? The Ark Festival cruise travels from Barcelona to Marseille and Ibiza, and back to Barcelona from August 31 till September 4. Check our blog with 18 reasons why you want to be there!
- Encore Festival is back this Saturday! This year, the festival not only offers the best hip hop and R&B acts, but also the best bass, reggae and dance DJs. After three successful editions we would like to end the summer at the NDSM-wharf full of good vibes!
- Come to Moood x Waterkant this Saturday with your best friends and enjoy a tropical evening. MOOOD has added some extra tropical spices to her regular recipe. Expect sweet dance tunes, reggae anthems and spicy afrobeat bangers in addition to the best R&B and hip hop tracks. Ps: the dress code is tropical!
- Come to the most intimate festival of Amsterdam this Saturday; Paradijs Festival at Noorderlicht Café. Note, it’s almost sold out!
- On Saturday August 19, Blijburg Aan Zee transformes in STRAF_WERK Festival 2017. This year the city beach will again creates space for an impressive decor and six stages each with their own sound.
- LEGENDS celebrates it’s birthday! For ten years we have been going to the best soul, funk, disco, hip hop and R&B parties in Paradiso Amsterdam, and their 10th anniversary will be celebrated this Saturday!
- 21 x the nicest clubs in Amsterdam to go to every weekend.
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram