Better days are coming, they’re called Saturday and Sunday! So it’s time to think about how to spend a perfect weekend in Amsterdam. Are you a last-minute planner, or do you prefer to look further ahead? Weekend in Amsterdam will never be the same with the weekly updates tips from this local Amsterdam Weekend Guide. To make sure you’re completely up to date within minutes, I’ll share the best weekend tips with you every week. Besides tips about the best events for this weekeend in Amsterdam, I will also share my favourite seasonal tips to help you plan great weekends at Amsterdam.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
how to spend your weekend in amsterdam
As a local I can tell you, that spending a weekend in Amsterdam is never dull. There’s just too much going on and new hotspots open the doors every week! For September, I have collected a lot of tips for you for the perfect weekend break in Amsterdam. Decide on the restaurants in Amsterdam that you are going to try. And reserve your tickets for the best musuems in Amsterdam or finally plan that (food) tour that is on your Amsterdam bucketlist.
Our newest lists
Weekends in Amsterdam: september TIPS
Art, Museums & Culture Weekend tips Amsterdam
- Dreaming of distant countries and immersing yourself in other cultures this weekend? This is possible closer to home than you think! The Tropenmuseum has a beautiful new exhibition on the tradition of Healing Powers and its associated customs from all over the world. From Ayahuasca to shamans and witches. Afterwards, have a meal on the terrace of Eetcafé De Tropen and finish off with a walk through the Oosterpark. The perfect morning or afternoon! Book a time slot here >>
- Do you, like me, love street art? Then you’ll want to check out the new street art museum STRAAT at the NDSM-Werf in Noord. Afterwards, enjoy a coffee or lunch at IJver or Pllek, and you have a wonderful weekend day ahead of you! Buy your tickets with a €1,- discount here>>
- In my opinion, there’s nothing more inspiring than a good photo exhibition! FOAM is open again at full capacity. Buy a ticket here for € 12,50 >>
- The Rijksmuseum is currently showing a reconstruction of The Night Watch, as Rembrandt originally painted it. Would you like to enjoy the Rijksmuseum once more without the hordes of tourists who will be arriving soon? Now is the time. Book a time slot and skip the line >>
Bucket List Weekend Tips Amsterdam
How well do you know Amsterdam, and do you think you’ve done a lot in your city? Then check out this bucket list we made! How many of the 61 tips can you tick off the list? And do you have a tip that belongs on there? Let us know by using the Tip the Editor button in the list of tips. View the Amsterdam Bucketlist here >>
Restaurant Daalder moved to a new location in West
Did you hear? Restaurant Daalder moved from the Jordaan to Amsterdam West. At the beginning of this year they received their first Michelin star, now they are going to cook their delicious dishes at Postjesweg 1 in Amsterdam. The location? The beautiful building of ‘Het Sieraad’ (where restaurant Edel used to be). All the fine things as we know them from Daalder have moved with them. From the ravioli with beetroot, the satay ayam amuse-bouche, and Daalder’s iconic “stroopwafel”! Curious about the new menu and the new setting? You can now make a reservation and good to know: during the weekend you can also enjoy a fine dining lunch here. Reservations can be made here >>
Brunch tips – Weekends in Amsterdam
- Brunch is always a good idea! Especially at the new hotspot Celia, where you can sit down for a delicious Californian Style brunch. Also nice: they have a special brunch menu for the kids! Reservations can be made here >>.
- No trip to Mexico planned? Taste the flavours of Mexico this weekend at the LD Brunch at Local Dealer. Huevos rancheros, egg Benedict, coconut ceviche, Breakfast Burrito, smokey Bloody Mary, spicy margaritas and delicious Mexican Sangria with a DJ playing funky tunes in the background! Book your table through the website >>
Check out a cocktail bar in Amsterdam
Curious about our favourite cocktailbars in Amsterdam? Then you’ll want to check this shortlist again for your next date night or night out with friends!
Afternoon Tea Weekendtips Amsterdam
Do you have something to celebrate soon? Then make a reservation for the wonderful afternoon tea at the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam. I already had a taste of it, and the flavours are amazing! Book directly through the site >>
With autumn approaching, I always think a high tea with friends or family is a great idea to do something a little more special. Curious about more tips for good Afternoon and High Teas in Amsterdam in all price ranges? Check out this list with High Tea tips >>
Having a drink at a (new) wine bar
The Amsterdam Weekend Tips should, of course, include tips on having a drink with friends. And where better to do this than at one of the great wine bars that have opened their doors in recent years? So, are you looking for a new wine bar in Amsterdam this weekend? I have made a list of 7 favourites >>
It’s oyster season!
Do you love Oysters? Then check out this shortlist I made with the best addresses in Amsterdam to feast on them! Do you have time to get out of town? Then I can recommend all oyster lovers to go and collect wild oysters. For example in Zeeland! Curious where that is possible? I explain that in this post about oyster picking >>
New restaurants to test this weekend
- Restaurant Le Coeur by chef Rick Swinkels has finally opened in the Negen Straatjes area. And I can’t wait to try it myself! The menu is á la carte, so no fixed menu, and you will find this new restaurant in the cosy Negen Straatjes. Get a taste of the atmosphere on their Instagram account >>.
- The other day at the new Corner Store in Amsterdam Noord, I ate the best vegetarian food of recent times by far. Great location, great interior and great atmosphere. For those who know it: when the sun goes down, the place reminds a bit of Bushwick in NY, surrounded by sheds and garages. Read more about Corner Store here >>
- At the Westergas (as the Westergas grounds are now called for short), Cantine de Caron has officially opened its doors. I went there for a lunch-meets-drinks, and I can tell you: it’s a good idea for you to try it, too. Thank me later! Reservations can be made here >>
- Fiona is a new hotspot in the Red Light District where you can enjoy the most delicious Mexican dishes. Curious? Take a look at their site >>.
- De Juwelier is the new á la carte restaurant of the team behind Restaurant 212**. In a cosy art deco building on the Utrechtsestraat, with delicious dishes on the menu and a lovely relaxed atmosphere. Read the full article here OR watch the new reels on Instagram >>
- Restaurant Foer is not entirely new, but it is highly recommended. Special dishes, a great atmosphere and beautiful wines in a unique location on the East side of Amsterdam. Reservation is a must, and when the weather is nice, there is a terrace! View the menu here >>
- Have you heard? Restaurant Breda has a little brother! Klein Breda is open on the Utrechtsestraat. Open from Thursday to Sunday for lunch and dinner with a chefs menu, but also a choice for á la carte. Check out Klein Breda here >>
Kidsproof Weekend Tips Amsterdam
- Fun for a rainy day (with the kids)! The ‘Instagram’ museum Youseum on the Weesperzijde in Oost. Buy tickets with a 9% discount here >>
Try out a new recipe
Feel like making a new recipe this weekend? Then check out the recipe section on Your Little Black Book, where you will find recipes from the best cookbooks by famous chefs. Do your shopping at the market and at the best speciality shops in town. And did you already know these farm shops in the Randstad area?
- Discover the 21 best deli shops in Amsterdam >>.
- These are my 9 favourite markets in Amsterdam and the tastiest stalls >>.
- The best 11 farm shops in the Netherlands near the Randstad >>.
Relax & Unwind
- Fancy some YOU-TIME? Pamper yourself with a nice beauty treatment. Check out 5 beauty spots in Amsterdam that I frequent >>.
Active Weekend Tips Amsterdam
Weekend tips for the rest of The Netherlands
Walking Through Amsterdam East / Center East: Walking Route along traditional Architecture and Scheepvart
To sum up: the are the Best attractions in Amsterdam
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite (and the best) hotels in Amsterdam
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Your Little black book on instagram
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram