These are the hotspots at the Canal District you have to know!
The city’s historic Canal District is one of the most prominent characteristics of Amsterdam. The Prinsengracht, Herengracht, Singel and all the little streets in between. From bridge to bridge, it is such a joy wandering or biking around here. And when the first sun rays make their appearance, you will find the locals of Amsterdam cruising the water. Of course, the Canal District also comprises all sorts of food, drinks and shop spots. We’ve made a selection of the best restaurants, lunchrooms, coffeespots, concept stores, fashion shops, things-to-do and places to spend the night. Read all about it in our Amsterdam Canal District Guide!
Food & drinks at the Canal District
Restaurants at the Canal District
– Lotti’s Bar & Grill: thé restaurant of The Hoxton hotel! Great to have diner or to have brunch on Sunday.
– Cafe de Klepel: great gastrobar in the Prinsenstraat with delicious food.
– La Cage: a fancy restaurant (ánd cocktail bar) at the Reguliers! With French dishes on the menu.
– JD Williams Whisky Bar: so much more than a whisky bar! At JD Williams you can also order tasty Korean food, perfect for sharing
– Kitchen & Bar Van Rijn: a fancy, hip restaurant at Rembrandt square. There’s a really cool vibe in this place, you can listen to house music and enjoy a delicious cocktail.
– Ron Gastrobar Oriental: a gastrobar with an Asian touch! Order small Chinese dishes to share.
– Satatouille: on the menu you will find a mix of Asian food, among others a very tasty satay! Tip: order one of the plates with different kinds of satays to share with the whole table.
– Ô Mai: spot at the Utrechtsestraat where you can eat authentic Vietnamese meals prepared the way mama does it.
– Bar Huf: the perfect spot for late night dining! The menu offers rustic and pure dishes such as burgers, sausages and cheese fondue.
– Ali Ocakbaşı: with roots in Turkey, this restaurant is now represented worldwide. And now also in Amsterdam! Expect delicious and authentic dishes.
– De Luwte: all time favourite restaurant where you can have the best dinner! Perfect spot for a romantic night out.
– Rose’s Cantina: they serve Latin American food here, you really need to try the ceviche here! Rose’s Cantina is also a great spot to have some cocktails.
– Restaurant Johannes: this restaurant inspired by the French cuisine is located within walking distance of the Nine Streets. Every two weeks they provide a new menu!
– Tempo Doeloe: Indonesian rice table? Yes please! You can enjoy some great food here!
– Lion Noir: order lunch, have dinner, or drink cocktails. It’s all possible at Lion Noir!
– Burgerlijk: enjoy the best burger at Burgerlijk! You can have exactly what you feel like having and put together your very own burger.
– Snappers: this bistro at the Reguliers is fun! A large bar, lots of wood with a vintage twist. They serve nice snacks ánd cocktails.
– Wolvenstraat 23: “Het Wolfje” is a personal favourite of Anne! Perfect for coffee, lunch or a drink. You háve to try the steamed Asian oysters.
– Toon: you can eat all day long here: from breakfast, to lunch, to supper. Furthermore, Toon is also a hotel where you can spend the night.
– Campo de Fiori: because an Italian restaurant should not be absent in the Canal District!
– Guts & Glory: every six months, dishes are served of another beast. The menu offers a selection of refined starters and in-between courses in Daalder’s style. One of Yourlbb’s favourites!
– Bluespoon: the restaurant of the Andaz hotel with an amazing menu. Local ingredients are used and transfomed into dishes with an international character. The menu change every season.
– Librijes Zusje: yes, really, De Librije’s little sister! Culinary delights are served here.
– Envy: a real classic in Amsterdam and one of the restaurants that has a Bib Gourmand 2016! This means: great food, for a great price!
– Brug34: a menu with homemade food mainly coming from traiteurs at the Utrechtsestraat. Also, they offer a selection with a broad range of wines, picked by the owners. And of course, they also have great snacks to serve with the wines.
– The French Connection: a French restaurant in the old Odeon building!
– Buffet van Odette: at this cosy bistro you can have breakfast, order lunch or have dinner seven days a week.
– Lombardo’s: feel like having a burger? They serve great ones at Lombardo’s!
Photocredits: Jasper de Waal
Coffee at the Canal District
– Bocca: a coffee paradise in the centre of Amsterdam! Coffee roaster Bocca now has a spot where you can learn all about coffee and enjoy the best coffee’s.
– Caffè Il Momento: this coffee bar makes coffee from different beans, all roasted in Amsterdam.
– Screaming Beans: you can also go to Screaming Beans for coffee! Real coffee addict? Attend a coffee cupping session.
Lunch at the Canal District
– Lavinia: the food at Lavinia is pure and biological. You won’t find any E-numbers in your food here! Everything is freshly prepared everyday, which makes it a great spot when you are looking for healthy food!
– Pluk: looking for a healthy spot to have lunch? Go to Pluk! Fresh juices, smoothies, salads and sandwiches. Very practical: everything is to go!
– Coffee Concepts Sandwich Bar: Coffee Concepts now has a second location at the Reguliers, this place is all about sandwiches and coffee.
– Dr. Blend: need a vitamin boost? Then you should really go to Dr. Blend. Here you will find the best superfoods, smoothies and juices. Also, it’s a great spot for organic beauty gadgets and clothes.
– Ree7: a modern restaurant with a warm atmosphere for breakfast and lunch!
– Zuivere Koffie: hidden gem at de Utrechtsestraat for juices, sandwiches ánd great coffee.
– Vegabond: a vegan hotspot located in the center!
– Goodies: fresh juices, sandwiches, salads, tapas and fresh pasta. Everything available at Goodies!
– SLA: order a salad from the menu or put together your own salad at this salad bar!
– Marie Stella Maris Archive: this concept store is exactly located at the corner of the Keizersgracht and Huidenstraat. You will easily pass it by if you don’t pay attention! But the person who discovers it, can enjoy the atmosphere at the little cafe in Parisian bistro style.
– Toos & Roos: a cheerful little cafe for breakfast and lunch. The interior is so colourful and cosy! You can order delicious soup here.
– Klaver 4: homemade quiches, soups, salads and amazing pies and coffee.
– Goldfinch: if you think about the Waldorf Astoria, the first thing that comes to mind is probably Librijes Zusje. However, at Goldfinch Brasserie you can have the best brunch!
– Lite/Dark: for lunch, juices and healthy snacks, you can find this spot at the Utrechtsestraat.
Take out at the Canal District
– Kagetsu: my personal favourite is Kagetsu! I think it’s the best sushi of Amsterdam.
– Stach: at this traiteur you can get your freshly baked bread, cheese, sausages and healthy, fresh meals.
– Ciao Bella: at the corner of the Prinsengracht and the Utrechtsestraat you will find the Italian traiteur Ciao Bella. You can get delicious, authentic Italian food here such as pasta’s and antipasti.
– Urban Cacao: a chocolatier with the most delicious macarons!
Drinks at the Canal District
– Some spots where you can have diner, are also great to have drinks: La Cage, JD Williams Whisky Bar, Kitchen & Bar Van Rijn, Rose’s Cantina, Snappers, Wolvenstraat 23, Lion Noir.
You can also have drinks at:
– Apt.: an American style bar in the former Odeon building. Perfect for drinks!
– Hoppa!: very nice, a new beer cafe situated at the Singel where they serve Amsterdam beer.
– Vyne: more into wine? Go to winebar Vyne where they more than 270 different sorts of wines.
– A l’Elephant du Congo: a clubhouse where they have an early evening line up but also late night parties. Located at the former spot of Bar Ludwig.
– Door74: cocktail time! Door74 is a cosy bar where you can sip your cocktail in style. Also it’s a secret cocktail bar, which by now is not so secret anymore ;-)
– Bar Paul: a brown cafe with three floors and during the summer they have a very nice terrace!
Shopping at the Canal District
– The Public House of Art: looking for affordable art? Then you might like The Public House of Art! A gallery extraordinaire, where they have a big selection and the art is affordable.
– Hope: love Scandinavian style? At Hope you will find both Scandinavian fashion as design. It’s also possible to order online.
– Ou. Boutique by Val: a mini boutique and spa in one! You can buy beautiful clothes, shoes and accessories for yourself, but also for your little one!
– Collective Space: this concept store not only looks beautiful, it sells amazing items as well! Buy your clothes and interior accessories here.
– Velour: Swedish fashion at the Nine Streets! Velour is a concept for both male and female, they sell all sorts of stuff: from clothes, to sunglasses and underwear!
– Episode: this company has four (!) locations in Amsterdam. They have a lot of very cute vintage items and clothes.
– GeitenWollenWinkel: a concept store where everything they sell is sustainable.
– Anecdote: Yourlbb loves Dutch design! The very first brand boutique from Anecdote is located at the Wolvenstraat.
– Denham: still looking for that one pair of jeans that fits you perfectly? This store can probably help you, as they are focused only on jeans. The store at the Runstraat is specially for women!
– The Darling: affordable brands, vintage and own designs. In this cute store you can also buy cupcakes!
– Mobilia: interior store with a wonderful collection of design! They offer both affordable as very exclusive items.
– Jan: one of our favourite concept stores in Amsterdam! You will find the nicest gifts for yourself and the people around you here.
– Bendorff: this one-stop-shop is the perfect spot for men that like trendy clothes with a classic touch! Even better: you can buy your whole outfit here – clothes, underwear, shoes, jewellery, sunglasses and fragrances.
– Mint: Mint offers beautiful and authentic lifestyle items. You can find something cool here for everyone!
– We Are Labels Woman: you will find cool international and original brands here, you’ll always be able to score an awesome outfit here! They offer classic and trendy items and the high-quality clothing is made of nice fabrics.
– We Are Labels Men: just as great as We Are Labels Woman. But, this store is for men!
– Tenue de Nîmes: also for men! This cool concept store is mainly about jeans. Also, they sell other clothes, shoes and accessories. Feel like having coffee? They serve Lot Sixty One coffee!
– Rum: Scandinavian basics you buy at Rum at the Nine Streets. A great blouse, a leather pants or other must-haves.
– Muze the Store: you can buy urban clothes for women at Muze! Pretty, comfy and edgy. They sell both well-known as smaller bands.
– Samsøe & Samsøe: if you’re not into urban and stylish and looking for basics, this Danish store is the place you need to go to! Also the accessories are super pretty.
– Toms: buy some cool fashion items and support a good cause all in once. We love it! Toms sells beautiful shoes, bags ánd glasses.
– Gilian Originals: a super cute jewellery store with beautiful jewellery made of quality that is above average. neighbourhood… they are made of 14-24 carat gold!
Staying the night at the Canal District
– Hotel IX: the only luxury hotel in the middle of the Nine Streets! Spend the night in one of the five luxurious suites named after a street from the Nine Streets and are decorated with furniture from the neighbourhood. Nice!
– Andaz: when Hotel IX is fully booked, you can always spend the night at Andaz, within walking distance from the Nine Streets! A beautiful design hotel at the Prinsengracht.
– The Hoxton: ánd of course it’s also very pleasant to book a room at The Hoxton! You can book a room with a view at the Keizersgracht, with breakfast bags (in bed) from Stach. Nice!
– Waldorf: this is a hotel full of luxury! The Waldorf Astoria is located in six interconnected monumental buildings that each are unique. The interior is super fancy, classic and modern.
– Hotel Dwars: a little boutique hotel in the center. The nine unique rooms are designed by the ladies from Things I like Things I love in a bohemian meets design style.
To do at the Canal District
– City Street Spa: need some relaxation? Book a treatment at this beauty salon located at the canals!
– Foam: our favourite photography museum in Amsterdam!
–Tuschinski: feel like watching a movie? Tuschinski is without a doubt the most beautiful cinema of Amsterdam!
– Tassenmuseum Hendrikje: a museum with an exhibition about fashion, art and the history of the bag. Nice to combine with a high tea.
Almost 100 spots that you can find in the Canal District! Still something missing? Please let us know!
Anne de Buck
- Amsterdam Tips -
- To do -
Amsterdam Light festival
The Amsterdam Light Festival 2023/2024 are now on sale!More info & tickets »
Rent a bike!
Do you want to see a lot in a short time? Rent a bike and discover the city in a day.Rent a bike here »
Fabrique des Lumières
Perhaps the best new experience in Amsterdam West where art comes to life!Reserve a time slot »
- Stay -
Pillows Maurits Park
Pillows Maurits at the Park is one of the best new hotels in Amsterdam with spa and wellness.Discover prices »
Hotel Jakarta is sustainable, has a wonderful Indonesian restaurant and a nice swimming pool.Discover prices »
Hotel Boat & Co
Affordable and family-proof hotel with studios and a cozy restaurant near the Westerpark.Discover prices »
- Deals -
Antwerp from € 21,-
What about a day trip to Antwerp? Go by train! Check the direct connections here.Find train tickets »
London return from € 91,-
Travel in 4 hours and 13 minutes and without changing trains with the Eurostar from Amsterdam to London.Find train tickets »
Paris from € 35,-
Much more relaxed than flying! With the Thalys to Paris and get off at Gare du Nord.Find train tickets »