WEEKEND inspiration fOR may 6, 7 & 8
I’m looking forward to this weekend so much! It’s going to be lovely weather and there are so many fun things to do! Do you already have plans for Mother’s Day? Why don’t you go to the two food festivals this weekend: Amsterdam Kookt and Yummya. And it’s the grand opening weekend of Strandzuid on Friday. Yes so many things to do! And we listed them all in the new Amsterdam Weekend Guide! >> Enjoy!
PS: you can listen to the Amsterdam Weekend Guide on Amsterdam FM every Friday around 11:45!
– Three lists to make the weekend even more fun:
>> 9 x the most fun things to do on Mother’s Day 2016
>> 11 x the best new hotspots in Amsterdam
>> 19 x breakfast in Amsterdam
– De Pijp has a brand new hotspot called Frnzy! Here, you’ll find a very varied menu from croque madame to Vietnamese spring rolls. We’re a big fan! :-)
– From now on we can also have a delicious breakfast on the Haarlemmerplein at The Breakfast Club! But also those, who often skip breakfast, aren’t excluded and can enjoy this tasty meals. ;-) This spot is open until 1:00 am and because of that the ideal place for a late night snack.
– No weekend plans yet? Than maybe the first edition of food festival Yummya is something for you? What to expect? A lot of great food and of course a huge load of entertainment! :-)
– We knew it for a while and now, the moment has finally arrived: Amsterdam Kookt! And this year, the area around the Olympic Stadion is being transformed into one huge open-air restaurant. You want to be part of this edition, for sure!
– Go from stand to stand on Sunday during Pure Markt and taste the delicious, craft creations of different chefs. They also sell their own-made products. Nice!
– It’s time to spoil our lovely moms this weekend! At Cafe Toon, everything is about Mother’s Day this Sunday during Mother’s Day High Tea. Wonderful idea to spend some quality time with your mom!
– Have a delicious fifties brunch with your mom during the fourth edition of Go With The Glow – Vegan Mothers day Brunch! Beware, this brunch is especially for all the vegans among you! ;-)
– With the lovely weather it’s also great to have breakfast at Vondelpark3! It’s time to spoil our beloved moms!
– Moms love afternoon tea! Take your mom to Duchess for a cosy tea party and catch up all afternoon!
-We love these places for Friday afterwork drinks:
* Check our list with 10 Friday afterwork drinks spots in Amsterdam!
* Pllek is always a good idea for Feeling Friday.
* SoSo Lobi at Waterkant is highly recommended for summer vibes, beer and roti!
Some foodie proof lists to make your life easier :-)
* 32 x restaurants in Amsterdam you must have dinner once
* 19 nicest breakfast spots in town
* 20 healthy hotspots we love
* 47 great coffee bars in Amsterdam
* 24 cocktail bars in Amsterdam
Check the blog for more lists! >>
– Beautiful weather and the grand opening of Strandzuid: this Friday, it’s the kick-off of a great weekend and awesome Summer. Enjoy!
– Or have a blast at the Westergasfabriek. During Las Dalias on the Road you can go for pretty-pretties, entertainment and some good music! We’re already a big fan! :-)
– In the mood for a drink on Saturday night? Than go to the pop-up aperitivo with live music at De Balkonie! Don’t forget to sign up because the seats are limited.
– Book lovers need to go to Pllek on Sunday evening! Because during Mohlemanns & Kohlemanns Thomas Möhleman and Chris Keulemans are giving a literary talk show.
– Looking for an inspirational Sunday? Read all about Sunday fun stuff in Amsterdam here.
– Go to the second edition of Trashformers Secondhand Fashion Sale at Bar Jones on Sunday! We’re a big fan because not only do we love second hand and vintage clothing, but we’re also (as fashion lovers) against clothing waste! Win-win ;-)
– You can also look around at the biggest flea market of Europe at the Ij-hallen! With over 750 stands, it’s easy to walk around for hours.
– And it’s also time for the Local Goods Weekend Market. From bags to furniture to design, you’ll find everything at one place.
– Sample sale alert and it’s a great one! On Friday and Saturday you can score beautiful pair of shoes at the very first sample sale of Mason Garments. Shop exclusive pieces with huge discounts up to 80 percent, yay!
– Shop the greatest items at the lowest prices during the ZILCH sample sale and fill your closet with colorful Spring and Summer items!
– There can never be enough sample sales and because of that we also think this one has to be added to this list: sample Sale Mads Nørgaard, Muubaa en By Zoé. You’ll find great items of brands like Just Female, Second Femals, Religion and Tony Cohen at low prices!
– Looking for nice addresses in Amsterdam East? Check this list and discover the best hotspots on the Czaar Peterstraat!
– There are so much cool shops in Amsterdam! Check them here! >>
– Made in Amsterdam takes you on a time travel on the base of 100 art works. During this exposition, you’ll get to know different movements and artists in the Amsterdam art world of the last 100 years. You have the chance to see this with your own eyes until July 31.
– Amy Winehouse fans can go to The Jewish Historical Museum this weekend. During the Amy Winehouse: A Family Portrait you’ll get a glimpse in the private live of the deceased star. This intimate and personal exposition was put together by Amy’s brother Alex Winehouse. You can visit this expo until September 4.
– In the Nieuwe Kerk you can visit the World Press Photo 16 until July 10. During this exposition, you can admire the impressive photography of many price winning (press) photographers.
– Bring a visit to the brand new museum in Amsterdam. The Moco Museum focuses on Modern Contemporary Art. Andy Warhol (July 3) and Banksy (September 4) are the first artists to expose their work in Moco.
– If you’re a fan of the expressive movement De Amsterdams School, you have to visit Stedelijk. During the exposition Wonen in de Amsterdamse School you’ll be able to have a look at more than 500 designs of Jaap Gidding, Michel de Klerk, Piet Kramer, Hildo Krop and Marie Kuyken until August 28.
– Another one at Foam: From April 8 till June 5, you can admire the beautiful art of Roe Ethridge at Foam. In Shelter Islandhe shows you the end of a nostalgic Summer. Ethridge combines commercial photography with the fine art of photography.
– This one has to be on your to do list: the Catwalk exhibition in the Philipsvleugel of the Rijksmuseum. Rijks presents fashion of the Netherlands from 1625 to 1960. A must visit for fashion lovers! This expo runs until May 22.
– Have you already been to Close-Up – A New Generation of Film and Video Artists in the Netherlands at EYE Film Instituut? An exhibition featuring numerous recent film and video works and spatial installations by a new generation of filmmakers and artists in the Netherlands. Have a look yourself before May 22.
– A must visit expo at Tassenmuseum Hendrikje: Street Couture. At this exhibition it’s all about mix and match: high end fashion is combined with street fashion, sports and pop culture. Visit this expo before June 5!
– Go loose on Friday night during Girls love DJs at Disco Dolly! Be there before twelve, it’s free entrance and that money can be spend on an extra drink! ;-)
– DOK is giving its fourth opening party. With the great weather, free entrance and Dimitri behind the decks, this is going to be a great party!
– Dance the night away during The Workout at Chicago Social Club. Different deejays are giving them all behind the decks!
– Want to go clubbing this weekend? Get to know the 13 clubs in Amsterdam where you must go dancing.
– Feel like dancing but not in the mood for clubbing? On Saturday Pllek is thé place to be! DJs wil play some of the best records at dinner time and late into the night. After dinner the tables will be set aside so you can dance! See you at Beatroots!
– Up for some good weekend music? Every month we make a new playlist on Spotify! Check our playlists here >>
Anne de Buck
- Amsterdam Tips -
- To do -
Amsterdam Light festival
The Amsterdam Light Festival 2023/2024 are now on sale!More info & tickets »
Rent a bike!
Do you want to see a lot in a short time? Rent a bike and discover the city in a day.Rent a bike here »
Fabrique des Lumières
Perhaps the best new experience in Amsterdam West where art comes to life!Reserve a time slot »
- Stay -
Pillows Maurits Park
Pillows Maurits at the Park is one of the best new hotels in Amsterdam with spa and wellness.Discover prices »
Hotel Jakarta is sustainable, has a wonderful Indonesian restaurant and a nice swimming pool.Discover prices »
Hotel Boat & Co
Affordable and family-proof hotel with studios and a cozy restaurant near the Westerpark.Discover prices »
- Deals -
Antwerp from € 21,-
What about a day trip to Antwerp? Go by train! Check the direct connections here.Find train tickets »
London return from € 91,-
Travel in 4 hours and 13 minutes and without changing trains with the Eurostar from Amsterdam to London.Find train tickets »
Paris from € 35,-
Much more relaxed than flying! With the Thalys to Paris and get off at Gare du Nord.Find train tickets »