at these hotspots in the netherlands you can drink the best verdejo
Even when I’m not abroad, I still like to dream away thinking about my latest travels. A good glass of wine from that particular country or region is if you ask me the perfect way to hold on to that holiday vibe. That’s why the Spanish wine region Rueda has selected ten places, the Ruede Summer Hotspots, where you have to be this summer for a well-chilled glass of Rueda wine.
If you look into it, you will notice that wines from Rueda, which lies north-west of Madrid, are booming. On more and more wine cards throughout the country you will encounter these wines! The wine region is famous for the white wines and the most important grape from this region is the Verdejo. A personal favorite of mine with flavors of citrus fruit, apple, pear, flowers, bitters and herbs.
Do you want to drink a delicious glass of Rueda wine with friends this summer? Then you have to go to one of these 10 hotspots in the big cities in the Netherlands. The last couple of weeks these hotspots have been voted by people who are fond of these wines to the Top-10 Rueda Summer Hotspots and fair is fair. We absolutely agree with list, because we also love to come to all these places in Amsterdam and beyond.
10 x Rueda Summer Hotspots you do not want to miss
- Pikoteo (Amsterdam): At one of our favourite hotspots you are at the right adress for delicious tapas-style dishes prepared by a Spanish chef. You eat inside around the cozy bar or on the terrace. A delicous taberna with modern Spanish spheres where you are in the right place for wines from Rudea. Houtmankade 9 – pikoteo.nl
- Buurman en Buurman (Amsterdam): This cozy restaurant is one of the nicest dining addresses in Bos en Lommer. Whether you go for a cold Verdejo on the terrace or want to chat with friends. Paul and Coen the (former) neighbours will be happy to tell you about the changing dishes they have on the map. Mercatorstraat 171 – eetwinkelbuurmanenbuurman.nl
- Ku Kitchen (Amsterdam): If you think of Spanish wines, you may not think of sushi directly, but that this combination works well is something you will notice when you go to Ku Kitchen. First only in the Utrechtsestraat, but recently also in Amsterdam West where they have a collaboration with Staring at Jacob. In addition to the wide choice of saké (cocktails) you can also go for the combination of sushi en Rueda Verdejo! Utrechtsestraat 114 & Jacob Van Lennepkade 215 – ku114.nl
- Café Verward (Rotterdam): One of the nicest wine bars (where they actually also know quite a lot of beer) in the Rottterdamse Hoogkwartier. Here you go every Sunday for a delicious culinary dish of the day, but on other days in the week you are also more than welcome for a selection of wines from Rueda in combination with delicious food. Let the host advise you about your choice! Hoogstraat 69A – verward.nl
- Lola (Rotterdam): For Spanish vibes in Rotterdam you have to go to Lola. Here Chef Jochem Appel cooks delicious Spanish dishes that are perfect for sharing with your friends. Think of tapas, pinchos and dishes of the charcoal grill that perfectly match with a Verdejo. Schiedamse Vest 56 – hellolola.nl
- Bouzy (Den Haag): In one of the nicest streets of The Hague, on the outskirts of the center, you are here as a wine lover at the right place. At this cozy wine and champagne bar Bouzy they have an extensive wine list and an equally good menu of Spanish dishes. Denneweg 83 – bouzywineandfood.nl
- Dudok (Den Haag): Now you find Dudok across the whole country from Rotterdam to Arnhem, but the location in The Hague is still very nice due to the sunny terrace at the back of the historic building. A nice place if you want to enjoy a cold glass of Rueda Verdejo with a bite at the end of the afternoon or after shopping during a day in the Hague. Hofweg 1A – dudok.nl
- De Zwarte Vosch (Utrecht): If you enter the Black Vosch you will feel for a moment like you are in Spain. With this pinchobar, the pinchos are just like in Spain exposed on the bar and the sausages and hams are hanging from the ceiling. Although inside it is always cozy, the terrace of this restaurant makes it a real Rueda Summer Hotspot. Oudegracht 48 – dezwartevosch.nl
- Wijnbar en Bistro Zies (Utrecht): This wine bar is now a classic under the wine bars in Utrecht, but did you know that you can stay at the boutique hotel and dine in the bistro? The dishes are prepared in a Spanish charcoal oven and the sommelier serves the best wines from Mediterranean countries including the Rueda Verdejo. Twijnstraat 58 – zies-utrecht.nl
- Daens (Utrecht): Another great hotspot in Utrecht is Daens located in the former fire department of Utrecht. Here you can shop first in the beautiful concept store and afterwards you can enjoy a drink at the bar. The perfect combination for shopping and wine drinking with friends if you ask me! Fun detail: you can stay the night in Daens. Korte Minrebroederstraat 13-17 – daens.nl
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
In association with Rueda wines