this is why we love ron gastrobar downtown
- It’s not a secret that we love the Ron Gastrobar restaurants in Amsterdam. Big fans of Ron Gastrobar Oriental for the duck dishes and the original Gastrobar* if we have something to celebrate.
- For the best Indonesian food in town we now go to Ron Gastrobar Downtown at Rokin.
- This place is perfect for dinner with friends or date night. What we love about the concept is that after dinner you’re welcome to stay for cocktails. There’s a DJ on the weekends and you can even dance a bit. If you want! We have to try that on our next visit. We were there for lunch on the weekend. A looooong lunch. With bubbly and wine and delicious food.
- The lunch at Ron Gastrobar Downtown is perfect for lunch with kids. The food is great for sharing if you have older kids and for the little ones they have high baby chairs (in bright blue!) as well. On request you can always order a little bowl of not spicy nasi. My son Manuel loves that!
- We LOVE LOVE LOVE the interior design. Bright colours, jungle murals, lots of palm tree and banana plants. And did we mention the Missoni style floor already?
- The kitchen is run by chef Agus Hermawan and chef Luke Brouwer and there’s nothing that we didn’t like from the menu. Everything has so much flavour and was exactly what we love about Indonesian food and Asian flavours. All the dishes looked great as well as you can see when you scroll down.
- Make sure to order the satasting! We loved the flavour of the meat from the konro-grill.
- At the sambal cart you can try the different sambals from mild to super spicy.
- Make sure to leave some room for a dessert. More in particular the ‘LUKE’S ‘DOWNTOWN’ SOFT ICE SURPRISE’. It’s so good! And a perfect closure of your lunch or dinner.
Have fun if you’re going to Ron Gastobar Downtown. I hope you have the same great food experience as we had!
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
PSSSST… DISCOVER MORE (TRAVEL)tips IN MY (NEW) BOOKS!
- Feed Your Wanderlust – Travel Guide for a bohemian lifestyle (new in 2018)
- Staycation – 22 guides and shortlists for a vacation close to home (new in 2018)
- Wanderlust – Urban Travel Style Guide
- De Amsterdam City Guide (Dutch) & The Amsterdam City Guide (English)
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
Rokin 49Amsterdam (Amsterdam City Center)
- Amsterdam Tips -
- To do -
(Private) Canal Cruise
Make a boat tour and enjoy the Amsterdam Light Festival from the water during a cruise on the canals.Tickets from € 16,- >>
This new experience with unique and colourful installations is the Instagram hit of Amsterdam.Book a time slot >>
- Stay -
This trendy hotel with a rooftop, restaurant and club is located in hot and happening Amsterdam East.Check the rates >>
This lifestyle hotel is located on Herengracht in the Canal District and also loved by locals.Check the rates >>
- Deals -
Tulips at Keukenhof
One of the most Instagrammable places in Holland during this season!Get that Insta-photo >>
Visit the number one photography museum of Amsterdam for exhibits about contemporary photography.Get tickets for € 12,50 >>