Tips for New Year’s Day in Amsterdam!
New Year’s Day in Amsterdam: a day to recover from your New Year’s Eve party, a day to think of New Year’s resolutions or maybe just a day like any other day. I already know that I’ll sleep in and probably watch series all day long. Although … maybe I also want to go into town. But what is there to do in Amsterdam on New Year’s Day? Yourlbb made a list with the best things to do.
To do’s on New Year’s Day | New Year’s Day in Amsterdam 2015
– The Amsterdam Light Festival is off course nice to go to. Walk the special evening tour along all kinds of illuminated artworks. Or take a boat trip along the canals.
– Make New Year’s Day a cultural day and visit one of the many museums in Amsterdam. Go to the Stedelijk Museum, the Van Gogh Museum, The Hermitage or Rijksmuseum. Or go to Foam for the exhibition of Vivian Meijer.
– The EYE is also nice to go to for exhibitions or movies. ‘Boyhood’ for example is a beautiful movie. Or go see a classic one like ‘Gone with the wind’.
– For a movie you can also go to cinema Tuschinski. Or go to The Movies for a more cultural movie.
– Go to the Wereldkerstcircus in Carré! A classic afternoon or night out!
– I think ice skating is always a good idea, even on New Year’s Day. You can go to Zell am Rembrandt at Floor17. The Jaap Eden IJsbaan or Ice Amsterdam at Museumplein.
Parties & Drinks on New Year’s Day | New Year’s Day in Amsterdam 2015
Are you still in a party mood? There are several parties and New Year’s receptions in Amsterdam!
– Check out the best parties on January 1st in Yourbb NYE in Amsterdam guide.
– Go to Cafe Thijssen, Mossel & Gin, Café Lennep or Cafe Ter Brugge for a New Year’s reception!
Shopping on New Year’s Day in Amsterdam | New Year’s Day in Amsterdam 2015
– Do you want to go shopping on New Year’s Day? Here’s a list with 11 concept stores in Amsterdam to go to!
– Do you wanna go shopping at the Nine Streets, the Haarlemmerstraat, the Kalverstraat or the P.C. Hooftstraat? Most shops are open till 6pm.
Are you more in the mood for a relax day at home? Check Yourlbb Top 5 series with series you must see!
Happy New Years Day!
Did you see Yourlbb’s lists yet?
From new restaurants to lunch cafes and coffee bars. Check all the lists here >>
– KLM is the Royal Dutch airline and offers very good deals from all over the world. >> click here to find the cheapest flights >>
– NS Internationaal connects most of the European cities to Amsterdam. Very convenient way of travelling, from your city centre to the heart of Amsterdam. Tickets from € 29,- and up. >> Click here to search for ticket deals >>
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
| PS: Traveling to Amsterdam with kids? My other website Travelkids.co & @travelkids.co is dedicated to family friendly travel. Check it out here >>
Anne de Buck
- Amsterdam Tips -
- To do -
How fun is this? Discover Amsterdam on a 2.5-hour e-fat bike tour through the center and Amsterdam North.More info & tickets »
Fabrique des Lumières
Perhaps the best new experience in Amsterdam West where art comes to life!Reserve a time slot »
STRAAT street art Museum
STRAAT is Amsterdam’s newest museum that is entirely devoted to street art.Search for tickets »
- Stay -
Pillows Maurits Park
Pillows Maurits at the Park is one of the best new hotels in Amsterdam with spa and wellness.Discover prices »
Hotel Jakarta is sustainable, has a wonderful Indonesian restaurant and a nice swimming pool.Discover prices »
Hotel Boat & Co
Affordable and family-proof hotel with studios and a cozy restaurant near the Westerpark.Discover prices »
- Deals -
Antwerp from € 21,-
What about a day trip to Antwerp? Go by train! Check the direct connections here.Find train tickets »
London return from € 91,-
Travel in 4 hours and 13 minutes and without changing trains with the Eurostar from Amsterdam to London.Find train tickets »
Paris from € 35,-
Much more relaxed than flying! With the Thalys to Paris and get off at Gare du Nord.Find train tickets »