Enjoy the holiday season with 21 Christmas events in Amsterdam
There are so many cool things to do in Amsterdam in December! All kinds of Christmas-like winter events. From Christmas markets to theatre, and from ice skating to cultural activities. Yourlbb listed the 21 coolest things to do this December, so you won’t miss a thing!
Christmas markets in Amsterdam >> Christmas in Amsterdam
– CBK Zuidoost organises a Pop Up Kunst Kerst Markt on December 13 between 11 and 6 pm! You’ll find original gifts like jewellery, bags, scarfs, bowls and vases from eighteen different artist.
– Put the Pekmarkt on your calendar! This organic and vintage market in Amsterdam North celebrates Christmas on December 13.
– Go to the Brocante Kerst Markt of Sissy-Boy on the 13th of December from 10am till 6pm. Enjoy the Vintage Finds of furniture and interior accessories, buy some jewellery and check out the winter collection of Sissy-Boy.
– Funky X-mas at Westerpark! Saturday December 13 there’s an indoor Christmas market at the neighbourhood farm in Westerpark. More info here >>. On the 14th of December, Sunday Market organises a Funky Xmas Market! With Christmas decorations and life music, at the Cultuurpark Westergasfabriek.
– Bluespoon in the Andaz hotel will be transformed into a Food X-mas Market on December 14! Where you can taste food and buy handmade gifts. Open from 10am till 4pm.
– December 14, you can also go to the Christmas market of Cafe Cook. From 2 till 6pm. Stroll around for some warm scarves or homemade brandy.
– The MercatorMarkt also organises something on the 14th of December, a special Christmas edition! Organic and sustainable products combined with fire pits and gluhwein.
– The Pure markt is always our favourite during summer seasons. Now, they organise a winter fair on the 14th and 21st of December at Amstelpark and Park Frankendael.
– The Local Goods Weekend Market in De Hallen has a Christmas Special on December 20 & 21. Buy products that are made or designed in Amsterdam, this time with a twist of Christmas.
– The Christmas edition of the NeighbourFood Market is planned on the 20th and 21st of December. The Gashouder will transform into a Christmas Festival!
– This year, Moderne Hippies and Amsterdam Roest organise a Christmas fair together. Vintage and hippie brands combined with campfire and warm cloths. This promises to be nice, on the 21st of December, from 12 till 6pm.
Ice skating in Amsterdam >> Christmas in Amsterdam
– The 85 meter high rooftop terrace of Floor17 is transformed to ice rink Zell am Rembrandt! From the 6th of December until the mid of February you can ice skate with the most beautiful view of Amsterdam.
– You can also ice skate at the Jaap Eden IJsbaan. Are you still a bit clumsy on your skates? Don’t worry! Here you can book a ice skate clinic to learn how to do it!
– Or go ice skating at Museumplein, also called Ice Amsterdam! You can skate in the centre of Amsterdam until the first of February. Every day until 9pm or during the weekend until 10pm.
Food & drinks for Christmas in Amsterdam
– The Winterparade is back! Have dinner at a 120 meter long table and enjoy dance, music and theatre during the so called show ‘Aan tafel!’. And don’t forget to dance at the Silent Disco! In Amsterdam from the 19th of December until the 28th, from 7 till 10pm.
– Pull your vintage Christmas sweater from your closet for a nice Christmas dinner! Besides a food market, Bluespoon also organises a Tacky Christmas Sweater Dinner Party at the Andaz hotel. An evening where you can enjoy a three-course menu and where you can dance on christmas beats. December 19th, from 7pm.
– Are you looking for an activity during the day? Then go to the Waldorf Astoria Hotel for a nice afternoon tea and enjoy both savoury or sweet snacks.
Art, culture and events around Christmas in Amsterdam
– Amsterdam Light Festival is a must see! Until the 18th of January you can see many light sculptures at various places in Amsterdam. Walk true the city or take a boot!
– Fancy a crazy, humorous night out? Go to Kerst met Kaak XL. A music theatre from Circus Treurdier at Theater Bellevue, from December 18 till the 30th.
– You can also go to Anne, about the life of Anne Frank. A beautiful story and beautiful decors in Theater Amsterdam.
– Are you more of a movie person? Cinema Tuschinski is always a nice place to watch (Christmas)movies. Or go to The Movies for a more cultural movie.
– From the 18th of December until the 4th of January you can go the Wereldkerstcircus in Carré! A classic night out during the holidays!
You see, plenty to do this month! Enjoy!
Did you see Yourlbb’s lists yet?
From new restaurants to lunch cafes and coffee bars. Check all the lists here >>
PS: more nice spots are in the Amsterdam Little Black Book. A guide with good restaurants, trendy stores and cool things to do in Amsterdam. Only the best hot spots and lifestyle finds make it to Your Little Black Book!
Planning a trip to Amsterdam? I listed my favourite hotels and other travel tips on the blog here.
Anne de Buck