Enjoy the holiday season with 21 Christmas events in Amsterdam
There are so many cool things to do in Amsterdam in December! All kinds of Christmas-like winter events. From Christmas markets to theatre, and from ice skating to cultural activities. Yourlbb listed the 21 coolest things to do this December, so you won’t miss a thing!
Christmas markets in Amsterdam >> Christmas in Amsterdam
– CBK Zuidoost organises a Pop Up Kunst Kerst Markt on December 13 between 11 and 6 pm! You’ll find original gifts like jewellery, bags, scarfs, bowls and vases from eighteen different artist.
– Put the Pekmarkt on your calendar! This organic and vintage market in Amsterdam North celebrates Christmas on December 13.
– Go to the Brocante Kerst Markt of Sissy-Boy on the 13th of December from 10am till 6pm. Enjoy the Vintage Finds of furniture and interior accessories, buy some jewellery and check out the winter collection of Sissy-Boy.
– Funky X-mas at Westerpark! Saturday December 13 there’s an indoor Christmas market at the neighbourhood farm in Westerpark. More info here >>. On the 14th of December, Sunday Market organises a Funky Xmas Market! With Christmas decorations and life music, at the Cultuurpark Westergasfabriek.
– Bluespoon in the Andaz hotel will be transformed into a Food X-mas Market on December 14! Where you can taste food and buy handmade gifts. Open from 10am till 4pm.
– December 14, you can also go to the Christmas market of Cafe Cook. From 2 till 6pm. Stroll around for some warm scarves or homemade brandy.
– The MercatorMarkt also organises something on the 14th of December, a special Christmas edition! Organic and sustainable products combined with fire pits and gluhwein.
– The Pure markt is always our favourite during summer seasons. Now, they organise a winter fair on the 14th and 21st of December at Amstelpark and Park Frankendael.
– The Local Goods Weekend Market in De Hallen has a Christmas Special on December 20 & 21. Buy products that are made or designed in Amsterdam, this time with a twist of Christmas.
– The Christmas edition of the NeighbourFood Market is planned on the 20th and 21st of December. The Gashouder will transform into a Christmas Festival!
– This year, Moderne Hippies and Amsterdam Roest organise a Christmas fair together. Vintage and hippie brands combined with campfire and warm cloths. This promises to be nice, on the 21st of December, from 12 till 6pm.
Ice skating in Amsterdam >> Christmas in Amsterdam
– The 85 meter high rooftop terrace of Floor17 is transformed to ice rink Zell am Rembrandt! From the 6th of December until the mid of February you can ice skate with the most beautiful view of Amsterdam.
– You can also ice skate at the Jaap Eden IJsbaan. Are you still a bit clumsy on your skates? Don’t worry! Here you can book a ice skate clinic to learn how to do it!
– Or go ice skating at Museumplein, also called Ice Amsterdam! You can skate in the centre of Amsterdam until the first of February. Every day until 9pm or during the weekend until 10pm.
Food & drinks for Christmas in Amsterdam
– The Winterparade is back! Have dinner at a 120 meter long table and enjoy dance, music and theatre during the so called show ‘Aan tafel!’. And don’t forget to dance at the Silent Disco! In Amsterdam from the 19th of December until the 28th, from 7 till 10pm.
– Pull your vintage Christmas sweater from your closet for a nice Christmas dinner! Besides a food market, Bluespoon also organises a Tacky Christmas Sweater Dinner Party at the Andaz hotel. An evening where you can enjoy a three-course menu and where you can dance on christmas beats. December 19th, from 7pm.
– Are you looking for an activity during the day? Then go to the Waldorf Astoria Hotel for a nice afternoon tea and enjoy both savoury or sweet snacks.
Art, culture and events around Christmas in Amsterdam
– Amsterdam Light Festival is a must see! Until the 18th of January you can see many light sculptures at various places in Amsterdam. Walk true the city or take a boot!
– Fancy a crazy, humorous night out? Go to Kerst met Kaak XL. A music theatre from Circus Treurdier at Theater Bellevue, from December 18 till the 30th.
– You can also go to Anne, about the life of Anne Frank. A beautiful story and beautiful decors in Theater Amsterdam.
– Are you more of a movie person? Cinema Tuschinski is always a nice place to watch (Christmas)movies. Or go to The Movies for a more cultural movie.
– From the 18th of December until the 4th of January you can go the Wereldkerstcircus in Carré! A classic night out during the holidays!
You see, plenty to do this month! Enjoy!
Did you see Yourlbb’s lists yet?
From new restaurants to lunch cafes and coffee bars. Check all the lists here >>
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
Anne de Buck
- Read more? -