YourLBB’s overview with the best things to do with Christmas in Amsterdam
What to do in Amsterdam with Christmas? Such a hard question! And I’m asked to give a shortlist via email and Facebook so much… Usually I’m snow skiing in Switzerland for Christmas and this year I have the luck to visit my brother in New York! But of course I will share my thoughts on cool things to do with Christmas in Amsterdam so you will have a great one too! From parties, bars and something to do on Christmas day. Amsterdam is magical during the Holiday season.
Merry Christmas everyone!
ALL Christmas days – Christmas in Amsterdam 2013:
– The Amsterdam Light Festival is fun to go to when it gets dark! On several locations in town and on the banks of the Amstel light sculptures illuminate the dark. There are some pretty cool light sculptures this year.
– Go to the Leidseplein for the ice skating rink!
– A classic show is the Christmas circus at the beautiful Carré. Try to get some last minute tickets and go with the family.
– Not open air and in a sunny park but just as much fun as the Parade is the Winterparade festival in Amsterdam North. Enjoy theater and acts while dining on long tables in an old warehouse.
– Most attractions are closed but luckily most museums are open :-). So do a cultural day with Christmas and visit the Stedelijk Museum, The Van Goghmuseum or the Rijksmuseum.
– Go for hot coco after a visit to the Museum Quarter at the beautiful Conservatorium Hotel.
BEST restaurants to go for dinner with Christmas in Amsterdam 2013:
– Serving a special Christmas menu on December 24, 25 and 26: Ricardo’s in Odeon
– &Samhoud Places is hosts a special Christmas dinner. Reservations only.
– My two favourite hotel restaurants the Conservatorium Hotel and Bluespoon are open for Christmas dinner!
– Ron Gastrobar is a great restaurant to enjoy a Michelin star Christmas dinner :-).
– Only open on December 26 all time favourite restaurant: Rijsel
BEST parties on December 25 + 26 2013:
– Click here for the blog about the best parties with Christmas!
BEST places to go for Christmas cocktails – Christmas in Amsterdam 2013:
BEST bars and cafes to go for Christmas drinks – Christmas in Amsterdam 2013:
Please note that the opening hours of the bars may vary, so always check the websites for changes.
Do you need some last minute inspiration for Christmas gift shopping? Check out the blogpost with the best concept stores here!
Are you celebrating Christmas in New York? Here are the links to our NY Christmas guides:
– best restaurants for Christmas in NY
– best holiday markets in NY
– best stores for holiday shopping in NY part 1 and best stores in NY part two
– check the beautiful Christmas shopping windows in NY
Have a great Christmas everyone!
PS: more hotspots are in the Amsterdam Little Black Book. A city guide to Amsterdam with the best restaurants, shops and things to do. Always new addresses coming up so check out your online Little Black Book daily for the latest hotspots in town!
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram