These are the hotspots in Amsterdam West that you have to know!
There it is: a Amsterdam West Guide with all the hotspots that we think you should know. Maybe I’m a little bit biased, but don’t you also think that Amsterdam West is amazing? I’ve lived in West for over three years now and I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else in Amsterdam! The Helmersbuurt with the Jan Pieter Heijestraat is my favourite. But the Baarsjes and the Spaarndammerbuurt are just as fun as the Frederik Hendrikbuurt, the Overtoom and the Clercqstraat. Did you know that Amsterdam West is actually divided into 26 (!) different neighbourhoods? And then West also has three parks (Vondel, Erasmus and Westerpark!). You see: Yourlbb loooooves West! That’s why we have listed the best restaurants, lunch & brunch hotspots, take outs, coffee bars, clubs & bars, shops and hotels in West for you. Discover them all in this Amsterdam West Guide!
Food & drinks in Amsterdam West
There are so many fun places in Amsterdam West to have breakfast or brunch, to have coffee, to enjoy the sun at the terrace or to grab a quick bite! In this list the best restaurants in West, the best breakfast, lunch and brunch spots, take outs and coffee bars.
Restaurants in Amsterdam West
– Adam: at this gastrobar it is all about good food, great wine and personal service. Try their tasting menu!
– Cafe Panache: recently opened its doors and already favourite in the neighbourhood! At Panache you can have delicious fish and meat dishes.
– Frits: beer and burgers at this fun cafe at the Baarsjes!
– Faam: definitely go to Faam for a delicious wood oven pizza in West.
– Deegrollers: pizza’s to stay or to go at this always crowded Deegrollers at the Jan Pieter Heijestraat.
– Waterkant: at this tropical hotspot you can sit beside the water and enjoy food of the Surinamese kitchen. Don’t forget to try out the Surinamese beer here!
– Van ’t Spit: delicious juicy chicken here at the Clercqstraat!
– Voldaan: for soup with balls! At Voldaan everything is homemade and you can definitely taste that.
– Jacketz: the baked potato is making a comeback! At Jacketz they serve baked (or jacked) potatoes with a homemade filling.
– Bar DK: the place for drinks and bites! Order the bread basket with mackerel mousse and tartare of beetroot with mango hummus.
– Happyhappyjoyjoy: the new restaurant of TV cook Julius Jasper where you can get delicious Asian street food.
– De Foodhallen: at this indoor food market you have a tons of options for all kinds of different delicacies! From waffles to bitter balls and from burgers to oysters.
– Remise47: cocktails and dinner at Remise47 at Hotel de Hallen!
– Mossel & Gin: it’s all in the name. Fresh mussels and other fish dishes that you can perfectly combine with gin & tonics! But of course you could also just go there to enjoy the sun with G&T’s at their terrace.
– Rotisserie: here it’s all about the tender chickens and craft cocktails. But here you’re also at the right place for a delicious burger.
– Spaghetteria: delicious pasta with seasonal ingredients!
– Brasserie De Groot: daily meals for less than € 20,- and a lovely terrace during the summer.
– Edel: we all know the Edelwise parties right? But did you know that you could also have a drink there with friends, have lunch or just grab a bite?
– Stadscafe van Mechelen: een Belgian restaurant with an industrial and raw interior but nevertheless still very cosy!
– Bar Spek: an all day hotspot where you can sit on the terrace during the summer and where you can share your delicious pizzas.
– Cafe Lennep: this lovely neighbourhood cafe serves delicious bar snacks with a twist! A must try is the food from the spit.
– Cafe de Walvis: a trendy dining cafe with small bites of good quality. Think of burgers, steaks, chips and fish of the day.
– Restaurant Worst: sausages, ham and pâté with 200 fitting wines!
– Bar Bra: coffee, art and music in the living room cafe Bar Bra Amsterdam where you can have a daily meal on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays during the evening.
– Brasserie Breitner: all day spot with a French menu!
– Westergasterras: dinner with a view at Westergasterras and a lovely terrace during the sunny summer.
– Forno: a cosy neighbourhood Italian where you can eat amazing pizza!
– Razmataz: another all day hotspot where you can go for coffee, lunch and dinner. But they also have a very nice G&T menu!
– Cafe Cook: a hidden gem! Cafe Cook might have the biggest terrace at the Baarsjes!
– Radijs: for simple, delicious meals you have to go try Radijs. A cosy neighbourhood cafe with a terrace at Baarsjes.
– Zurich: in the middle of Mercatorplein you’ll find a round building with red rooftops: Zurich!
– Hendrix: this new spot at De Clercqstraat has a great menu for drinks and snacks to have with your drinks!
– Bar Baarsch: a fun cafe at Jan Eef. A really relaxing hotspot where you could walk into the whole week, from day till night.
– Cafe Amsterdam: a classic brasserie at the Westerpark where you can eat really good fruits de mer!
Breakfast, brunch & lunch in Amsterdam West
– The Breakfast Club: breakfast, brunch and funky tunes at the Breakfast Club!
– Staring at Jacob: the perfect spot for Californian brunch in West. Expect a mix of typical American brunch classics, but then light and healthy. Several delicious dishes with egg and sausage or bacon if wanted.
– Berry: order your sandwiches here with for example cheese, jam or figs. Really good with a smoothie or juice!
– Dophert: vegan hotspot at the Spaarndammerbuurt where you could go for breakfast or lunch with the most delicious dishes.
– Bar Mick: the perfect place at the Spaarndammerbuurt to have breakfast, to eat a homemade cake or to have lunch.
– Juice & Salad cafe: the fruit juices, salads and lovely sandwiches from Juice & Salad are perfect for a healthy meal!
– Sugarless: you can have lunch without feeling guilty at Sugarless! Everything on the menu at this organic lunchroom is free from refined sugars and other unhealthy additives.
– Koffie ende Koeck: lovely vegan hotspot in West for coffee, lunch and delicious cakes!
Take out in Amsterdam West
– Stach: one of our favourite deli shops in West! Everything here is organic and super delicious!
– Meneer en Mevrouw Keus: this caterer makes delicious salads, sandwiches, soups, burgers and for example lamb skewers.
– Holy Ravioli: for fresh ravioli you must go to Holy Ravioli! Here they sell self-made ravioli with regurly changing filling.
– Saffraan: this caterer makes the most delicious mediterranean dishes at the Helmersbuurt!
– Frenzi Cucina: you can also get lovely mediterranean food at this hotspot at the Overtoom.
– The Beer Tree: a beer concept store with 250 different kinds of beer originating from over 25 countries. But they also brew their own beer!
Coffee in Amsterdam West
– Lot Sixty One: the coffee spot in West for really good coffee! Here they roast their own beans and perhaps nice to know: you can enjoy your coffee outside here during the summer!
– White Label Coffee: they also roast their own beans here and the coffee from Ethiopia is Yourlbb’s favourite! Don’t forget to visit Het Massagehuys after, so you can completely relax and rest.
– Espresso Fabriek: strolling at the Westerpark while drinking coffee. Sounds good right?
– Trakteren: not only do they have good coffee here but the coffee is also very pretty to see! Here they’ve mastered the proper skills for latte art!
– Koffie Academie: a new hotspot at Overtoom where they serve self-baked cakes to have coffee with.
Shopping in Amsterdam West
Shopping is great at different places in Amsterdam West. In the Jan Pieter Heijestraat you can find some really amazing (concept) stores, but at which shops could you also go for some cute items?
– Objet: bags, clothing, jewelry and home accessories!
– Dépôt by Jonnhy at the Spot: you can buy clothing for men and women here, but it’s also the perfect store for the most beautiful home accessories!
– Following Lucy: whether you’re looking for a casual outfit for work or a sexy outfit for the weekend… you will find it here! But nice scarves, hats and bags are also available here.
– Gesponnen Suiker: favourite at Yourlbb! At this trendy clothing shop you won’t be able to leave with empty hands!
– Jutka en Riska: go vintage shopping at Jutka and Riska! Here you can buy clothing, original jewelry and other accessories.
– Bullitt: another fun vintage shop! At Bullitt they sell vintage clothing and furniture.
– Lena: at this fashion library you can borrow beautiful clothing instead of buying it (even though most items are also for sale). Good for the people and environment!
– Misc Store: first it was only an online shop, but Misc Store now also has a physical location in Amsterdam! Buy your pretty little books and cards here.
– T.I.T.S.: festival-outfits, timeless musthaves and nice gifts at this new concept store in West!
– Fietskantine: coffee spot, bicycle repair shop and hair salon in one! At this hotspot at Overtoom you can drink coffee fro Lot Sixty One, get your hair cut by Bubblekid or get your bike repaired!
Clubs & bars in Amsterdam West
We don’t only want to have good food in West, but also places where we can have a drink during the weekend (or maybe also during weekdays), maybe even a cocktail and… places where we can dance! There aren’t so many clubs in Amsterdam West, but of course an overload of bars.
Bars in Amsterdam West
– At these restaurants you can, aside from having a good meal, also enjoy a couple of drinks: Frits, Waterkant, Stadscafe van Mechelen, Bar Spek, Hendrix, Cafe de Walvis, Bar Bra, Westergasterras, Razmataz, Cafe Cook, Bar Baarsch, Radijs, Bar DK.
Then we also have:
– Craft & Draft: a new beer bar (and shop!) in West where they have about 40 different tap beers.
– Pacific Park: perhaps a tiny bit more alternative but it’s always fun at Pacific! Listen to live music from bands and DJs while you’re enjoying a drink.
Clubs in Amsterdam West
– Westerunie/gashouder: here I have had some awesome parties; who hasn’t anyways?
– Marktkantine: at this creative pop-up in West you can go to concerts and great parties.
– Warehouse Elementenstraat: at this warehouse you can dance on the best techno a couple of times in a month!
Staying in Amsterdam West
– Hotel De Hallen: next to the Foodhallen you have the cool design hotel De Hallen. Everything here is design: from art to design couches.
– Hotel Not Hotel: the rooms of this budget design hotel are designed by Collaboration-O, a designers collective with graduates of the Design Academy in Eindhoven. So you can expect some really cool rooms!
– Morgan & Mees: eat, drink and sleep at Morgan & Mees! Near bij the Jordaan in a very nice building you can now have lunch, drinks and food in the brasserie-style restaurant. And after you can crawl to your room!
Woow, there’s really so much to find in Amsterdam West! Do you get now why I’m such a fan of West? You probably are too now! ;-)
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
Anne de Buck
- Amsterdam Tips -
- Stay -
Looking for a budget proof stay that still looks great? Then Generator Hostel is your spot!Check the rates >>
This lifestyle hotel is located on Herengracht in the Canal District and also loved by locals.Check the rates >>
- Package deals -
Tulips at Keukenhof
One of the most Instagrammable places in Holland during this season!Get that Insta-photo >>
One of the coolest museums on the Museum Square with art from Banksy and other modern artists.Get tickets for € 13,50 >>
- To Do -
Bike tours & rental
Experience Amsterdam like a local and rent a bike or book a bike tour for the real Dutch experience.Rent a bike from € 5,- >>
This new experience with unique and colourful installations is the Instagram hit of Amsterdam.Book a time slot >>