Amsterdam weekend guide for January 24, 25 and 26!
Amsterdam is so nice on the weekends! ‘Unfortunately’ ;-) I’m not in town this weekend.. I’m in London to work on the city guide there! I’m staying at the beautifyl ACE hotel and am all excited about it :-). But first the Amsterdam Weekend Guide! I’m a weekly guest with Your Little Black Book on English Breakfast Radio (local radio 99.4 FM, or SALTO on TV). Every week I curate the coolest events in town for the weekend guidere with handpicked things to do in Amsterdam. This weekend with lots of vintage events and some cool new hotspots!
Food & Drinks
– Some new hotspots opened the doors recently! Have you been to the pop-up shop at the Jan Eef yet? Really cool! Also perfect for just a coffee!
– New hotspots in Amsterdam West! Voldaan is the place to be for soup and (meat)balls. I was there this Saturday and love this place and the food. Perfect for an easy dinner or lunch!
– Last week I discovered restaurant De Luwte at the Jordaan. This place is around for 27 years and has a brand new concept since last year. It’s a real neighborhood gem and if you haven’s been there yet… it’s a must go. Check out the delicious food we had there. You will love it.
– Last week I went to pop-up restaurant Repéré. If you love food and a great vibe you just HAVE to book a table there asap. I’m sure you like it too. Blog coming soon!
– Foodie alert! Sla opened SLA Lab and you can nog sign up for the first workshop about superfood detox on January 26. € 15,- sign up via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Out & About
– It seems that Amsterdam hosts vintage events almost every week! This Sunday you can shop till you drop at the Underground Boutique organized by Vintage Wearhouse at DOKA. January 26 starting at 6 pm food, drinks, vintage and music. Check out the event page here.
– Vintage and flea shopping at Amsterdams biggest flea market! This Saturday and Sunday it’s for the IJ-hallen again. Read all about it here.
– Another cool market is the Midnightmarket at Toren in Amsterdam North. The first nightly food and flea market. Doors open at 22 pm till late. Read all about it here.
– Fashionista’s dress up in your best outfits and hang around at the Westergasfabriek this weekend. The uptown shows of the Amsterdam Fashionweek started yesterday. I was there at the opening show and yes… it was super fashionable ;-).
– If you like literature then you have to check out the new event Ink & drink & lunch at Baut Sunday 26! A 4 course lunch for € 30 (excl. drinks) and stories of Herman Koch and Pepijn Lanen.
– The biggest exchange event of the year is held at Amsterdam Roest this weekend and organized by Konnektid, Peerby, Thuisafgehaald.nl and Buy Nothing New Maand! Bring your old stuff and leave with some cool new things that was someone else’s trash before ;-). But it’s not all about things… you can also exchange services or intellectual things… Sunday January 26 between 3-6 pm.
– This week the exhibit for Barbie’s 50th birthday bash opened at Tassen Museum Hendrikje. This exhibit is celebrating that Barbie is in The Netherlands for 50 years. Fun to go to with your mum or sister! They also serve a special Barbie High Tea. Until May 5.
– Amsterdam East has a ‘new’ theater! Actually it’s a merge of two theater, but what is brand new is the restaurant. The Oostblok theater serves dishes of local produce. Check out the agenda of the theater here.
– We always love the exhibits at the Eduard Planting Gallery and I have good news.. they have a new exhibit opening this weekend! From 11 January – 8 March 2014: ‘Arte e Eleganza’ – fashion photography by Gian Paolo Barbieri.
– New fashion exhibit at the Rijksmuseum about the history of the coat. From 1630 to 1940! Until June 8 2014.
– I LOVE the ice skating rinks in the winter! The one at Leidseplein is now open until January 5. Perfect for a corny date ;-).
– In FOAM there’s a new exhibit by William Klein from until March 12 2014.
– Fashion icon Fong Leng is honoured with an exhibit about her life at the Amsterdam Museum. Until March 16 2014.
– Last weekend! The Amsterdam Light Festival is great to check out at night in December! Magical with all the light. Until 20 January you can see light sculptures all over town. More info in this blog post!
– Until Sunday January 26 you can go book shopping at Taschen! All the slightly damaged books are now on sale with discounts up to 50-75%. I already went there and bought the coolest coffee table books!
– If you’re into beautiful stationary the Misc store is the place to be in Amsterdam. What started as a successful webshop is now one of the coolest stationary stores in Amsterdam.
– Click here for an overview of the best shops in Amsterdam that opened the doors last 6 months.
There are many more new hotspots that opened in Amsterdam last months. Check them out here:
– The Culinaire Werkplaats is open again! With a brand new tasting experience with the theme ‘Moscow Design’. Until March 2. If you’re looking for a vegetarian restaurant this is a great place!
– Our favourite salad bar SLA opened a second location at the Westerstraat last week. So start the new year with a healthy salad! They are also going to do workshops at SLA LAB this year so stay tuned for more info on that.
– Click here for an overview with the best new restaurants in Amsterdam
– YES! The pop-up store at the Jan Evertsenstraat in Amsterdam West is open again. With more than 14 vendors with unique items. Almost like Artists and fleas in New York! Jan Evertsenstraat 4-8.
– Click here for an overview of the best new shops in Amsterdam.
Enjoy this great weekend in Amsterdam!
PS: more hotspots are in the Amsterdam Little Black Book. A city guide to Amsterdam with the best restaurants, shops and things to do. Always new addresses coming up so check out your online Little Black Book daily for the latest hotspots in town!
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
Anne de Buck
- Amsterdam Tips -
- To do -
(Private) Canal Cruise
Make a boat tour and enjoy the Amsterdam Light Festival from the water during a cruise on the canals.Tickets from € 16,- >>
This new experience with unique and colourful installations is the Instagram hit of Amsterdam.Book a time slot >>
- Stay -
This trendy hotel with a rooftop, restaurant and club is located in hot and happening Amsterdam East.Check the rates >>
This lifestyle hotel is located on Herengracht in the Canal District and also loved by locals.Check the rates >>
- Deals -
Tulips at Keukenhof
One of the most Instagrammable places in Holland during this season!Get that Insta-photo >>
Visit the number one photography museum of Amsterdam for exhibits about contemporary photography.Get tickets for € 12,50 >>