Amsterdam Weekend Guide for February 14-16
It’s the weekend of LOVE! Starting with Valentine’s Day and with some great eventsfrom food market to warehouse party! I have some breakfast and brunch dates planned this weekend and a very special dinner party for my aunts 70th bday party.
But let’s start the day with our favourite picks for the Amsterdam Weekend Guide! As you all know I’m a weekly guest with Your Little Black Book on English Breakfast Radio (local radio 99.4 FM, or SALTO on TV). Every Friday I curate the coolest events in town for the weekend guide with handpicked things to do in Amsterdam. Wish you all a LOVELY weekend!
– Planning a romantic dinner this weekend? We selected our favourite restaurants for Valentine’s Day. From very special to very affordable. Discover the Valentine top-15 here.
– Dophert is a new foodie hotspot at the Spaarndammerstraat where it’s all about vegan deliciousness! Open for lunch during the day and take-out dinners!
– Sunday February 16 it’s Restaurant Day again! Download the app to check out the restaurants close to you. There are many cool pop-up restaurants opening on Sunday. Some of our favourites are the Winter BBQ at the Oosterpark and High Tea Wonderland!
– Another great foodie event on Sunday 16th is the first edition of the Neighbourfood Market this year. One of our fav. Sunday markets in town.
– I kinda have the feeling that the winter is over already… but at the Olympic Stadium it’s more winter-ish than ever. With the coolest ice skating rink in town. Until March 2.
– Friday February 14 you can take your date to Essen at Het Sieraad in Amsterdam West! The coolest place for after work drinks and dancing.
– Somethings completely different on Valentine’s Day is the special love tour at the Rijksmuseum on the 14th. Also fun: the cafe serves special Valentine’s Day snacks.
– We LOVE warehouse parties! And this weekend at Amsterdam Roest it’s time for NGHTDVSN. It’s the only warehouse party at Roest for the coming 6 months so don’t miss it. Saturday February 15.
– If you like oldschool Techno then Studio 80 is the place to be for you this weekend. With a 10 hour set of Steve Rachmad on Saturday February 15. Yay!
– Sunday February 16 all vinyl collectors should go to Michel-in in Amsterdam East for the event Vinyl & Wine. For wine tasting, a vinyl market and great music!
– From Monday February 17 to Sunday February 23 you can check out the exhibit Follow Your Heart at Hutspot. 12 designers created a unique poster that will also be featured in more than 300 outdoor advertising displays in Amsterdam. So keep your eyes open and maybe you spot one!
– Do you remember all the parties you had a as a teenager where you went bowling? Ready for a flashback? Go out and play at Trouw’s pop-up ‘Club Lebowksi‘ with a real bowling lane.
– Every Sunday there’s a mini festival called Wintercircus going on at Thuishaven in Amsterdam Westpoort at the Moermanskade.
– This month it’s movie month at Bar Bukowski! With every Sunday evening a different movie (with beers and snacks!).
– Psssst… save the date for the weekend of the Rollende Keukens (food trucks) at Westerpark from May 28 to June 1. Read more here.
– Amsterdam East has a ‘new’ theater! Actually it’s a merge of two theaters, but what is brand new is the restaurant. The Oostblok theater serves dishes of local produce. Check out the agenda of the theater here.
– This week the exhibit for Barbie’s 50th birthday bash opened at Tassen Museum Hendrikje. This exhibit is celebrating that Barbie is in The Netherlands for 50 years. Fun to go to with your mum or sister! They also serve a special Barbie High Tea. Until May 5.
– I have to confess… I’ve been to one of the most touristy attractions in Amsterdam… The Heineken Experience. And did I every tell you that my grandpa used to work for Heineken? To celebrate the 150th bday of this beer. At the Stadsarchief until May 11.
– We always love the exhibits at the Eduard Planting Gallery and I have good news.. they have a new exhibit opening this weekend! From 11 January – 8 March 2014: ‘Arte e Eleganza’ – fashion photography by Gian Paolo Barbieri.
– New fashion exhibit at the Rijksmuseum about the history of the coat. From 1630 to 1940! Until June 8 2014.
– In FOAM there’s a new exhibit by William Klein from until March 12 2014.
– Fashion icon Fong Leng is honored with an exhibit about her life at the Amsterdam Museum. Until March 16 2014.
– Only this weekend! The Vlieger & Vandam Sample Sale! Friday February 14 and 15. More info here.
– CP113 is a new concept store on the East side of town. Located at the upcoming Tsaar Peterstraat in Amsterdam you’re welcome for coffee, clothes and more.
– If you’re into beautiful stationary the Misc store is the place to be in Amsterdam. What started as a successful webshop is now one of the coolest stationary stores in Amsterdam.
– Click here for an overview of the best shops in Amsterdam that opened the doors last 6 months.
– Do you like Japanese food? Then Ku Kitchen at the Utrechtsestraat is a restaurant you will like!
–Dr. Blend is a great new place for superfoods! For the healthiest smoothies and wraps in Amsterdam at the Herenstraat. I’m sure you will love it!
– Did you already go to Dvars for the best cocktails in town? Good news! They serve brunch now as well.
– Bar Mick is a new cafe restaurant in the Spaarndammerbuurt in Amsterdam West. Beside De Walvis one more reason to go down to this district!
– Have you been to pop-up restaurant Repéré yet? My full report about this temporary hotspot is now online and I can’t wait to go back again!
– Do you have plans for coffee with friends this weekend? Here are some of our favourites:
* Coffee Bru
* Six and Sons
* De Ruyschkamer
* Two For Joy
* De Laatste Kruimel
* Bakers & Roasters
* Stach Food
– Great hotspots in Amsterdam West! Voldaan is the place to be for soup and (meat)balls. I was there this Saturday and love this place and the food. Perfect for an easy dinner or lunch!
– Recently I discovered restaurant De Luwte at the Jordaan. This place is around for 27 years and has a brand new concept since last year. It’s a real neighbourhood gem and if you haven’s been there yet… it’s a must go. Check out the delicious food we had there. You will love it.
– The Culinaire Werkplaats is open again! With a brand new tasting experience with the theme ‘Moscow Design’. Until March 2. If you’re looking for a vegetarian restaurant this is a great place!
– Our favourite salad bar SLA opened a second location at the Westerstraat last week. So start the new year with a healthy salad! They are also going to do workshops at SLA LAB this year so stay tuned for more info on that.
– YES! The pop-up store at the Jan Evertsenstraat in Amsterdam West is open again. With more than 14 vendors with unique items. Almost like Artists and fleas in New York!
– Curious about the restaurants that opened late 2013? Click here for an overview with the best new restaurants in Amsterdam
Happy weekend in Amsterdam!
PS: more hotspots are in the Amsterdam Little Black Book. A city guide to Amsterdam with the best restaurants, shops and things to do. Always new addresses coming up so check out your online Little Black Book daily for the latest hotspots in town!
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram