Amsterdam Weekend Guide for May 29 to June 1!
While writing this Amsterdam Weekend Guide I’m in Sevilla eating too much tapas, drinking many canas and having a great time with my family. It’s great enjoying some real summer weather. But don’t be jealous since there’s so much going on in Amsterdam… not to mention that I’m missing my bestie De Rollende Keukens. But hey, your parents are only married for 35 years once right? :-)
Every Friday I’m a guest on English Breakfast Radio and Amsterdam FM where I share my handpicked things to do in the Amsterdam Weekend Guide. Except this weekend ;-) but this is my list with cool things to do anyway. Enjoy!
– YAY!! I already mentioned it a dozen of times… but if I would have been in Amsterdam, my number one place to check out this weekend was the Rollende Keukens! I’m sure this is where you’re going too.
– Have you been to the Tolhuistuin yet? This all time favourite summer hotspot is open again.
– Also located at the Tolhuistuin is the new restaurant THT which is operated by the same peeps who own Brandstof. I’m excited to check this new place out!
– If the weather is sunny Floor 17 is perfect to enjoy the sun and great views. It’s the highest rooftop bar of Amsterdam is now open! Floor 17 is 85 meter hight. And trust me… that’s NY-ish high!
– Best oyster happy hours in Amsterdam! Every Saturday and Sunday between 3 – 7 pm at Hugo’s Bar & Kitchen. All oysters for only € 1,-! And also &Samhoud Places has oyster happy hour between 5-7 pm with oysters for only € 1,-. Great deal right?! And soooo NY ;-).
– Nothing better than shopping at the weekly farmers markets in Amsterdam. Our Saturday favourites!
– Always great for some good healthy food on Saturday or Sunday: my 10 favourite healthy hotspots here.
– Did you see the post yet with the 25 new food hotspots in Amsterdam? Check them out in the overview here.
– Not his weekend, but the weekend of 13-15 June there’s a super cool festival on the beach! Surfana festival where you can learn how to surf at one of the many clinics. It’s a weekend festival, but you can also go for just one day. More on Surfana festival here!
– There’s a new making industry coming up. With 3D printers and other tech driven things the world is changing. The Amsterdam Maker Festival explores all these new possibilities to make things. Until June 1 at the Kromhouthal in Amsterdam North.
– Another market at the Van Baerlestraat in Amsterdam Old South: The Summer Bazaar. Friday May 30.
– When they first opened I was raving about them for weeks… this weekend is their last weekend at the Jan Eef, so check out the pop-up store there once more. New location popping up soon!!
– The Vondelpark Openluchttheater (open air theater) is back in business every Sunday! Check the website for the latest artists.
– If you’re an urban art lover the Amsterdam Urban Art festival is the place to go this weekend. With so many different activities and tours!
– Last week I went to the new theater show about the diaries of Anne Frank. Beautiful stage and great to see the story at Theater Amsterdam (Dutch speaking).
– One of my favourite photo exhibits of the year: the World Press Photo! This year now at the Oude Kerk but at the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam.
– Did you already book a foodie workshop at Sla LAB! Discover all the workshops here! Most of them under € 30,-.
– This is your last chance to go to Toren lie it’s now. The place is closing for the big renovation. *wave*
– Club Odeon has a cool new club night on Friday: Nachtdieren!
– A bit older crowd, great tunes and good vibe: Disco Dolly.
– New exhibit at the Eduard Planting Gallery: Reflecting Identities by dindi. An expo with colourful XXL photographs.
– Tassen Museum Hendrikje has a new exhibit about 10 years Vlieger & Van Dam. The cool Amsterdam based brand! More info here.
– Did you know that the Van Gogh Museum is open till late every Friday? To me it feels very NY where the Guggenheim museum hosts cool parties during the weekend nights.
– New exhibit at the Tropenmuseum! Black & White tells the story how ‘black’ and ‘white’ live together in Holland. Until July 1st.
– Fashion exhibit at the Rijksmuseum about the history of the coat. From 1630 to 1940! Until June 8 2014.
– Three of my favourite vintage shops in Amsterdam:
* Trash to Treasure has a new location at the Van Baerlestraat 97.
* Tatski & Kar celebrated their 1st year anniversary. Congrats girls! You can check out their store at Koningsstraat 27a.
* Libertine is the newest project of Casper Reinders. It’s a gallery slash store for vintage curiosities at the Prinsengracht.
* Kaufhaus is a cool vintage clothing and furniture store at the Sweelinckstraat 21 in Amsterdam.
– I blogged about many other cool stores that opened the doors this years. Discover 5 other new stores in Amsterdam here.
My long list of hotspots that I’ve been to recently or that are top of my mind!
– Great new spot for drinks and bites on the banks of the river Amstel: Thuis Aan De Amstel. Located behind the Amstelstation at the area of the former gass union. Very nice with sunny weather!
– New location for Stach Food at the Admiraal de Ruyterweg!
– Alert for lovers of industrial design… Blom & Blom is the latest addition for factory style vintage furniture and more! Located at the Chrysantenstraat 20A.
– A new concept store around the corner of the Nine Streets. Brainy Days is a collection extraordinaire with unique items.
– Les Petites Puces has a new location. This cute vintage cafe and store is now open in the heart of the Red Light District.
– Go for a refreshing ice-cream to the IJsboefje in Amsterdam East is a ice-cream shop worth checking out.
– Bar Brouw in Amsterdam East opened the doors! I was there with my love for some good meat :-). Love this new addition to the restaurant and bar scene in my neighbourhood!
– As you all know… I LOVE coffee! And last week I discovered a new coffee spot in town: Filter.
– Coffee, afternoon drinks and late night cocktails. It’s all possible at Swych! And did you know that Rembrandt used to live in exactly the building where Swych is located?
– As a girl from Zeeland you can Imagine that I LOVE my roots. So I’m very happy to let you know that Amsterdam has its own restaurant for mussels and G&T’s now. Mossel & Gin at the Westergasfabriek area is great for afternoon drinks and bites with friends.
– Have you been to Rein yet? The newest healthy food hotspot at the Rijnstraat in the Rivierenbuurt. For breakfast, lunch or just a smoothie.
– YES!! The guys who had the very good pop-up restaurant Repéré open a new pop-up restaurant called Foyer at Felix & Foam this weekend. With 3 – 5 courses starting at € 29,50. I was there last week and loved it!
– The Waldorf Astoria Hotel is now open! With a restaurant and cocktailbar. The restaurant is called Librije’s Zusje Amsterdam and I’m sooo curious if it’s as good as the one in Zwolle… Will check it out soon!
– Do you know Oostblok? At this vintage style cafe and restaurant you can enjoy a seasonal 2 course menu for only € 20,-. It’s also a theater so check the agenda for the shows.
– Headfirst Coffee Roasters is open again! Check out the new location at the Westerstraat here.
– Since the weather is getting better every weekend it’s time to check out these favourite summer hotspot! Click here for the summer hotspot blog.
– Recently I discovered restaurant De Luwte at the Jordaan. This place is around for 27 years and has a brand new concept since last year. It’s a real neighbourhood gem and if you haven’s been there yet… it’s a must go. Check out the delicious food we had there. You will love it.
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
Anne de Buck
- Amsterdam Tips -
- To do -
Amsterdam Light festival
The Amsterdam Light Festival 2023/2024 are now on sale!More info & tickets »
Rent a bike!
Do you want to see a lot in a short time? Rent a bike and discover the city in a day.Rent a bike here »
Fabrique des Lumières
Perhaps the best new experience in Amsterdam West where art comes to life!Reserve a time slot »
- Stay -
Pillows Maurits Park
Pillows Maurits at the Park is one of the best new hotels in Amsterdam with spa and wellness.Discover prices »
Hotel Jakarta is sustainable, has a wonderful Indonesian restaurant and a nice swimming pool.Discover prices »
Hotel Boat & Co
Affordable and family-proof hotel with studios and a cozy restaurant near the Westerpark.Discover prices »
- Deals -
Escape to nature
Find a nice cabin or house in the Duch nature to escape your busy life for a short (weekend) break.Find a cabin »
Train City Trips
Going on an international city trip in Europe by train? You can do that from € 20,- for a one-way ticket!Check prices »
Want to escape the Netherlands for a holiday? We got you! Check out all the last-minute deals you should knowCheck all last-minutes »