Amsterdam weekend guide for November 15, 16 and 17!
I’m a weekly guest with Your Little Black Book on English Breakfast Radio (local radio
99.4 FM). Every week I create an Amsterdam weekend guide with only the best handpicked things to do in Amsterdam. This week my favourites are the new salad bar Venkel and Restaurant Day!
Food & Drinks
– Hugo’s Bar & Kitchen is a new hotspot at the Hugo de Grootplein. You can now make a reservation for dinner! I went there yesterday and loved it :-).
– Is the Bakkerswinkel also one of your favourites for breakfast and lunch? This weekend you can go to the Bakkerswinkel at Westerpark for a pop-up dinner. Saturday at 19 o’clock! Reserve your table here.
– Do you love Italian food just as much as I do? Then book a table at the Italian dinner days. My favourite participating restaurants in Amsterdam are: Campo de Fiori (check out my review here), Assagi and La Storia Della vita. 4 courses, including coffee and welcome drink for only € 34,50. Until November 24.
– one of my all time favourites on a budget: oyster happy hour at &Samhoud Places! Every Saturday from 17-19 o’clock all oysters only € 1,-. Such a good deal! I went there with 2 friends and we had almost 90 oysters. Are you going to &Samhoud Places to break our personal record? ;-)
– Venkel is the newest salad bar at De Pijp! Super healthy salads made from local produce :-). Another great salad bar is SLA!
– This weekend it’s Restaurant Day again! Saturday 16th pop-up restaurants all over town open the doors for just one day. Foodie proof!
– Cafe Kiebert is the newest hotspot at the Marathonweg that opens the doors on the 15th! A cosy brown cafe with good food.
Out & About
– The Kahmann Gallery opened a pop-up location in Amsterdam Old South! At the Van Baerlestraat you can enjoy both vintage photography and work of contemporary photographers. Until December 31!
– Ever heard of Klik!? It’s a festival dedicated to animation movies. This year’s theme is Fabulous Fifties! I recommend going on Sunday since all the award winning animation films will be played at EYE on the 17th.
– I LOVE the ice skating rinks in the winter! The one at Leidseplein is now open until January 5. Perfect for a corny date ;-).
– Sunday the 17th it’s foodie Sunday at the Westergasfabriek again! You can check out the Neighbourfood market there between 11-18 o’clock.
– Fashionista alert! Sunday November 17 you can swap your clothes with other fashionistas at the Fashion swap party at the fashion hotel. Great way to shop without spending money!
– The best VrijMiBo for after work drinks is in Amsterdam West today! Essen is all about beer, food and dancing.
– If you ask me… One of the best foodie stores is Dille & Kamille! And I have great news, they open a store at the Nieuwedijk 16-18 on the 16th :-).
Still there to visit:
– &Samhoud Places is one of my favourite restaurants in Amsterdam. The food is delicious and the service is great! Because the Dutch movie ‘Het Diner’ is filmed at &Samhoud Places they created an exclusive ‘Het Diner’ menu including movie tickets. I had the luck to taste it yesterday and it’s a true foodie night out! Until November 24.
– Pop-up ART in canal houses! Until November 17 twenty of the most beautiful canal houses and museums turn into a pop-up contemporary art exhibit called: Chambres des Canaux.
– From November 7 to 24 the NDSM wharf is all about Russia. Perestrojka is a festival about the underground scene in Russia covering themes like fashion culture, photography, music, art and film. Check out the website for the exact dates and events.
– In FOAM there’s a new exhibit about 40 years of magazine photography. As a print and photography lover I will definitely check this one out! Until December 11.
– A new pop-up restaurant opens at People’s Place at the Stadhouderskade :-). If you love the real authentic Italian cuisine created by a top chef than Solo Venerdi is an event not to miss. Every Friday until December. More on Solo Venerdi here.
Pssssst… here’s a list with the new shops, restaurants and bars in Amsterdam that opened last month
– A new concept store in Amsterdam! Home Is opened the doors at the Van Baerlestraat and sells a beautiful collection of fashion brands, home and living and is a perfect location for coffee while shopping in Amsterdam Old South.
– The first Samsøe & Samsøe store opened the doors at the Utrechtsestraat in Amsterdam! So happy with it :-). They have great clothes for ladies and boyfriends with the clean Scandinavian design.
– Vintage lovers alert. The ladies from C4CVintage opened a warehouse and shop close to the Nieuwmarkt in Amsterdam. What we like: Vintage Wearhouse is open til 7 pm almost every night. So drop by after work.
– For cool clothes you don’t have to go to New York… or Antwerp anymore ;-). Since Friday October 20 just go to Urban Outfitters in Amsterdam for your dose of street style clothes and accessories. We like!
– Great news for the vegetarians or flexitarians among us! There’s a butcher shop that only sells vegetarian meat at the Rozengracht now called ‘De Vegeratische Slager’. Love their products and you really don’t taste that it’s not real meat :-).
– Do you love Scandinavian design? Then hurry to the HAY store close to the Spui. At this design lover heaven you can buy everything from furniture to table wear.
– Caffe Parma is the new Italian restaurant hotspot at the Marie Heinekenplein at De Pijp. Expect high quality Italian food in a trendy interior!
– Another Italian food hotspot is the delicatessen store Cuore Italia where all products come straight from Italy and where you can take out dinner. Can’t wait to go try and taste it!
– This new hotspot is one not to miss for everyone who loves meat :-). At Bar Brouw it’s all about artisanal meat… slow roasted or smoked! Yummy.
– Do you love art ánd food? Then hotspot 5&33 is the place to be for you! Yummy food great cocktails.
– I LOVE New York style all day bistros! Amsterdam is home to a new all day cafe with delicious food and a after midnight snack menu. I’m a fan of The Dutch Co!
– Oldschool is a new hotspot that’s now open with the restaurant. I love the interior! It’s a mix of industrial and bistro which reminds me of other great restaurants like De Goudfazant and Rijsel.
– Do you know the great butcher and delicatessen shop in Amsterdam Old South called Van Dam? Good news! They opened a bistro next door called Brasserie Van Dam. Expect classic bistro style dishes with some of the most popular dishes and meats from the butcher shop!
– Chow at the Rozengracht is the newest hotspot from nightlife icon Casper Reinders (Jimmy Woo, Roses Cantina). The interior is stylish as always and the food pan Asian.
– Another hotspot by Casper Reinders is totally renewed. Bo5 turned the lounge area into a French-Moroccan bistro with a classy bistro style interior design. Perfect for dinner after a day of shopping in the city center.
– Nieuwe brunch hotspot: Staring at Jacob at the Jacob van Lennepkade. Serving Californian style brunch, so expect all the traditional American brunch dishes but then light and healthy.
– Cafe Vrijdag is a new grand cafe hotspot on the border of the Rivierenbuurt in Amsterdam and Amsterdam East. A huge cafe and restaurant with a very trendy interior!
– Société Wunderbär is a new bar and restaurant concept in a tiny alley between the Kalvertstraat and Rokin.
– From the creators of Magneet Festival: Magnetico! A new restaurant in the shape of a submarine.
– Ricardo’s in Odeon is finally open! It’s the newest addition to the pure and rough farm to table restaurant scene. No set menu’s but dinner made and created fresh to order. Read all about Ricardo’s in Odeon here!
Cafes, bars and clubs:
– The Ruyschkamer is a new all day cafe in the street where I live (Yeah!): the Ruyschstraat in Amsterdam East. This hotspot is open from 7.59 am for coffee to go or stay, offers free wifi and you can stay for the dinner of the day after work.
– Remember Toren in Amsterdam North I was raving about a few weeks ago? Just behind the former Shell toren you find ‘A lab’ that is home to The Coffee Virus. A new cafe serving coffee, cake and lunch from Monday to Friday. Overhoeksplein 2 in Amsterdam North.
– The newest club in town is ABE. Located at the Amstelstraat this club is for 27 and up. Finally a place where I don’t feel old ;-). Expect a New York or London style private club, with classy velvet couches and great service.
– There’s a new bar concept in the beautiful Conservatorium hotel. If you’re up for a small snack during the day while shopping in Amsterdam Old South or late at night you can now go to the Tunes Bar!
– There’s a new club at the Volkskrant building. Until the remodeling of Canvas is ready you can dance the night away at Doka in the basement of the building.
What are your plans for the weekend? Found anything cool to do in the guide?
I’m going to Zeeland to visit my parents and celebrate my moms B-day! Love to hear what you’re going to do :-). Have fun!
PS: more hotspots are in the Amsterdam Little Black Book. A city guide to Amsterdam with the best restaurants, shops and things to do. Always new addresses coming up so check out your online Little Black Book daily for the latest hotspots in town!
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
Anne de Buck
- Read more? -