WEEKEND tips fOR may 27, 28 & 29
It’s almost June and it’s so bizarre how fast this year is going! Do you also have that feeling? Probably also because there are always so many fun things to do during the weekend. :-) No doubt one of my favorites this weekend is the Lentemarkt of Sissy Boy in the Vondelpark. And we also have a scoop on Sunday: Frank en Vrij, the first gluten free food festival of Amsterdam! Or maybe you score a leather jacket at the Goosecraft Sample Sale. You’ll discover all the other fun things to do in this new Amsterdam Weekend Guide! >> Enjoy!
PS: you can listen to the Amsterdam Weekend Guide on Amsterdam FM every Friday around 11:45!
– Yes! From now on, you can enjoy delicious food of Latin America at De Clercqstraat. Huis van López just opened its door and is definitely worth a visit! From different kinds of ceviche to tasty wraps to mussels, they got it all!
– With Visbar Beer, Amsterdam East is getting an extra hotspot in their area. This place doesn’t only sell fresh fish to cook yourself but after six pm, you can also enjoy a takeaway kibbeling or herring, yum!
– Nevertheless, I’m not a big fan of the Marie Heinekenplein, Ecole Amsterdam stole my heart. With its cosy and domestic interior, this all day spot is a must go to when you’re looking for a great eatery in De Pijp.
– Looking for a wonderful high tea? Then you definitely have to try the fantastic Honey Afternoon Tea at Waldorf Astoria! Savory dishes as well as sweet dishes are being served with the most delicious teas. In June, they serve the madeleine with honey and pecan and macarons with honey and lemon thyme, yum! Already starting mouth-watering? ;-)
– This Friday it’s time for Frits bij BAUT! Unfortunately, this edition is sold out but maybe you can get tickets at the entrance! ;-)
– Or go to a fabulous edition of EdelWise! First a drink on the terrace and afterwards a great night full of dancing and fun. Hello Friday!
– Oyster lover can go to the C Oesterfest at Restaurant C! Just one euro per oyster.
– Go to BierOost on Saturday and discover the most delicious special beers! And that’s not all. With its good music, lovely food, games and awesome artists, this beer festival is the ideal hangout spot!
– Everyone who is looking for a brunch on Saturday has to be at Instock! This time, they invited March Hochstenbach (Slow Food Nederland) as guest chef. If you don’t want to miss this Instock Chef’s breakfast, make sure to make a reservation on the website.
– Some food bloggers are taking over De Foodhallen this weekend during the Foodhallen Blogger Take Over! You really don’t want to miss this event if you want to try the dishes of your favorite food blogger in real life. ;-)
– Ready for a scoop? Because on Sunday, it’s the very first gluten free food festival at Undercurrent. Frank en Vrij is a must visit for everyone who lives gluten free and want to enjoy all the tasty things on a food festival without any worries.
-We love these places for Friday afterwork drinks:
* Check our list with 10 Friday afterwork drinks spots in Amsterdam!
* Pllek is always a good idea for Feeling Friday.
* SoSo Lobi at Waterkant is highly recommended for summer vibes, beer and roti!
Some foodie proof lists to make your life easier :-)
* 32 x restaurants in Amsterdam you must have dinner once
* 19 nicest breakfast spots in town
* 20 healthy hotspots we love
* 47 great coffee bars in Amsterdam
* 24 cocktail bars in Amsterdam
Check the blog for more lists! >>
– On Saturday and Sunday, Kaap de Groene Hoop is organizing a small festival called What is Fashion?! And what can you find here? Everything from clothes to food to cosmetics to lifestyle and much more. So, a very fun to do with your girlfriends this weekend! ;-) But do you want to start your day totally perfect? Then reserve your picknick bag and enjoy some drinks and bites at the water on Sunday!
– Test your general knowledge during the monthly Pubquiz at ‘t Blauwe Theehuis! Gather your best friends, register and I promise you, it will be a great night! :-)
– Tattoo fans are welcome at the twelfth edition of Amsterdam Tattoo Convention. Admire the work of many tattoo artists or get one yourself! ;-)
– A great Saturday tip for the partygoers among you is the Lentekabinet Festival. Be prepared for a day full of electronic music, art and culture at Het Twiske!
– Looking for the perfect trip on Sunday? Then you have to be at Atelier! It’s the perfect place to dance and have fun during the Spring festival Festimi.
– Always wanted to play an instrument? Then this is your chance! Go to the Workshop Ukelele at Blijburg on Sunday and learn the basics of this little instrument within two hours.
– Finally, on Saturday it’s time for the Sissy Boy Lentemarkt! Go to the Vondelpark with your favorite shopping buddy and discover the many stands. From fashion to decoration to workshops, you’ll find it all at one place! ;-)
– Or go to the biggest flea market of Europe at the IJ-Hallen. This time, the 750 stands are in open air at the NDSM wharf!
– It’s also Mercatormarkt this weekend! This always fun neighbourhood market is organizing a lot of fun activities for the kids and you can look around at the many stands.
– And also some pop-up stores are opening their doors this weekend. This weekend, you’ll find the pop-up store S.o.P Amsterdam x A. Nordling Art at the Gerard Doustraat. We’re already looking forward to this temporary shop because not only do they sell timeless pieces but also exclusive limited edition clothes of Alina Nordling, yay!
– Are you looking for the ultimate festival outfit? Then you have to visit the pop-up store of Open Air Festival! Together with Isabelli, Open Air is designing their own clothing line which will be sold at the festival area. So, do you want to score such a awesome bohemian festival outfit? Then visit the pop-up store before June 3 or shop the collection online!
– No lack of sample sales this weekend. The first on is the Art Book Sale where you can buy the best (second hand) books at the lowest prices.
– Not a bookworm? Then maybe you can have a look at the Goosecraft Sample Sale where you find everything such as leather jackets, bomber jackets and bags. :-)
– And it’s also time for the annual Summer Sample Sale van MY BRAND, yay! With discounts up to 75%, this sample sale is definitely worth a visit!
– Always wanted to have a look at the garderobe of fashionistas? Then you definitely need to go to the Super Sale of NSMBL! Editors, fashion professionals and the best bloggers of the Netherlands are exposing their closet for you. Enjoy! ;-)
– Looking for great addresses in Amsterdam East? Then check this list!
– There are so much cool shops in Amsterdam! Check them here! >>
– From Saturday you can admire the art work of the Brazilian street artist Cranio at the Amsterdam art gallery Vroom &Varossieau. During Amazonian Diet Cranio shows the true life in the twenty-first century in a critical way. Not only paintings and drawings are being exhibited but also toys and a statue of two meters high.
– What do you think of a musical journey at the Tropenmuseum? During Rhythm & Roots, you discover how different music styles influenced each other and how it was possible that they went from one continent to another. Rhythm & Roots is a fascinating music expo which will blow your mind! :-) Until October 30!
– The British-Dutch photographer Jimmy Nelson exhibits from never before seen and new work at Rademakers Gallery from May 13 until June 19. For years he travelled around the world to remote places to portray tribes. He wanted to capture what is in danger to disappear. This is a must visit expo for everyone who is curious about special travel pictures.
– Big fans of The Rolling Stones have to go to the Eduard Planting Gallery on Saturday! Until July 9, you can enjoy the beautiful nostalgic (and never before seen) pictures of the band during the expo Breaking Stones 1963-1965: A Band on the Brink of Superstardom.
– Made in Amsterdam takes you on a time travel on the base of 100 art works. During this exposition, you’ll get to know different movements and artists in the Amsterdam art world of the last 100 years. You have the chance to see this with your own eyes until July 31.
– The Jewish Historical Museum still honours the legendary Amy Winehouse. During the Amy Winehouse: A Family Portrait you’ll get a glimpse in the private live of the deceased star. This intimate and personal exposition was put together by Amy’s brother Alex Winehouse. You can visit this expo until September 4.
– A must visit expo at Tassenmuseum Hendrikje: Street Couture. At this exhibition it’s all about mix and match: high end fashion is combined with street fashion, sports and pop culture. Visit this expo before June 5!
– The most beautiful, awful and intense photos are exposed in the Nieuwe Kerk. Here you can visit the World Press Photo 16 until July 10. During this exposition, you can admire the impressive photography of many price winning (press) photographers.
– The new cool sister of the museums of Amsterdam: The Moco Museum. This museum focuses on Modern Contemporary Art. And what better way to start this then with the work of Andy Warhol (July 3) and Banksy (September 4)?
– If you’re a fan of the expressive movement De Amsterdams School, you have to visit Stedelijk. During the exposition Wonen in de Amsterdamse School you’ll be able to have a look at more than 500 designs of Jaap Gidding, Michel de Klerk, Piet Kramer, Hildo Krop and Marie Kuyken until August 28.
– From April 8 till June 5, you can admire the beautiful art of Roe Ethridge at Foam. In Shelter Islandhe shows you the end of a nostalgic Summer. Ethridge combines commercial photography with the fine art of photography.
– Kiss All Hipsters is one of the parties every Friday! Everyone who likes electronic and new rave beats has to put on his or her best hipster outfit and go to Melkweg!
– Everyone who is tired of the rain can go to Pineapple at Chicago Social Club on Saturday. The tropical vibe will make you forget the awful weather in no time!
– Maar ook Sugarfactory zet haar deuren wagenwijd open! Tijdens deze Bam Boe komt Jay Shepheard z’n beste plaatjes draaien.
– But also Sugarfactory is opening its doors! During this Bam Boe edition, the legend Jay Shepheard is playing its best music.
– Want to go clubbing this weekend? Get to know the 13 clubs in Amsterdam where you must go dancing.
– Feel like dancing but not in the mood for clubbing? On Saturday Pllek is thé place to be! DJs wil play some of the best records at dinner time and late into the night. After dinner the tables will be set aside so you can dance! See you at Beatroots!
– Up for some good weekend music? Every month we make a new playlist on Spotify! Check our playlists here >>