WEEKEND inspiration fOR may 20, 21 & 22
Only a few days left and I will be back in Amsterdam. Time flies when your on workation! And of course even faster when you have so much to discover in beautiful Tokyo. So while I’m still here, I’m going to enjoy all the beautiful and delicious things in Seoul! But also you can do a lot of fun things! Discover Amsterdam South East during the fun 24H Zuidoost or enjoy the last oysters at Zilte Zondag. And there are also a lot of festivals this weekend. Which festivals? You’ll discover in this brand new Amsterdam Weekend Guide! >> Enjoy!
PS: you can listen to the Amsterdam Weekend Guide on Amsterdam FM every Friday around 11:45!
– If you’re looking for a nice coffee spot this weekend, then you want to try the new establishment of Vascobello V bar. This beautiful coffee house has just opened in the Canal District!
– Good news! Soon, the men behind the fantastic Rijsel will open a second restaurant. This pearl is going to be called Scheepskameel and also this hotspot can be found in East.
– Family expansion! Hanneke’s Boom and Cannibale Royale got a new brother, yay! Meneer Nieges is located in the old Nevel building. I didn’t went there yet, but I will visit this new place as soon as possible!
– Not in the mood to go out for dinner but to stay in and cook? Then this is a must try recipe! Wonderfully fresh, healthy and super delicious: spring rolls. Enjoy! ;-)
– If you’re still looking for a great event for your Friday afterwork drinks, then you have to be at The Pool. Be prepared for an evening filled with fun, drinks and delicious bites during The Pool terrace launch party!
– Yes! On Saturday, it’s time for the biggest gin festival of The Netherlands: Gin Festival Amsterdam. Enjoy the best gin mixes all day long. Make your choice from over 100 different brands. Hungry? Go feast at one of the three food trucks!
– On Sunday, oyster lovers can say goodbye to their favorite food event: Zilte Zondag. The beautiful oyster season is being closed with this last edition. But do not worry! In Autumn, they’re back with the most delicious briny Sundays! ;-)
-We love these places for Friday afterwork drinks:
* Check our list with 10 Friday afterwork drinks spots in Amsterdam!
* Pllek is always a good idea for Feeling Friday.
* SoSo Lobi at Waterkant is highly recommended for summer vibes, beer and roti!
Some foodie proof lists to make your life easier :-)
* 32 x restaurants in Amsterdam you must have dinner once
* 19 nicest breakfast spots in town
* 20 healthy hotspots we love
* 47 great coffee bars in Amsterdam
* 24 cocktail bars in Amsterdam
Check the blog for more lists! >>
– In the mood for a fun event filled with art, music and food? Then you have to be at Kampeergarage Kempering on Saturday and Sunday! It’s the perfect hangout spot without getting bored. With among others live performances of Lil Kleine and Girls Love DJs, pop-up shops and street art, Garage Amsterdam is your perfect weekend trip!
– This Sunday it’s also time for Good Hair Festival at the Tropenmuseum! Like the name suggests, this whole event evolves around hairstyles as a sign of self-expression. And more good news! Sunday Market will be part of this edition with a beauty and tropics market, yay!
– This is thé tip for a trip with your friends on Friday! Rent a room in the Jaz in the City hotel and go loose during The Sleepover Part 2! One ticket contains a night in the hotel for two persons, entrance to the party and a delicious breakfast. And you can sleep-in thanks to the late check-out, yay!
– You want to get to know South-East inside out? Then you can go to 24H Zuidoost! During this 24 hour event, you’ll have the chance to get to know this lively neighbourhood on the basis of fun activities at 42 locations!
– Close the weekend with a fun day festival! On Sunday, you can go to Sloterdijk for the lovely festival De Zon. Enjoy the sun, sea, beach and even palm trees in your own city! ;-) You want to attend this tropical party? Then don’t forget to order a ticket on the website!
– On Sunday, you can also go to Beauty in the Streets of Ms. Mokum. With a mini-festival at daytime and a fun party in Canvas at night. An expo, market and live music? You’ll find everything at one place!
– It’s the fourth weekend of the month and that means it’s time for NeighbourFood & Flea Market. And also this time, Amsterdam BLEND Market is joining, win-win! So, it’s going to be a day full of feasting and looking around at the many stands!
– But you can also go to De Hallen for Local Goods Weekend Market! It’s the Summer edition and that means ‘sunny’ sales. ;-) You can find craft and homemade foods and non-food products at this market. Enjoy!
– On Friday and Saturday, you can buy great items at low prices at the MEGA Design Fashion Stock Sale at the Home is Concept Store. Score items of brands like Baum und Pferdgarten, Nanushka, Stine Goya and Suzie Winkle for low prices!
– And also POM is having a sample sale this weekend. Gather your friends and go bargain hunting at the POM Amsterdam Sample Sale! ;-)
– Looking for nice addresses in De Pijp? Check this list and discover the best hotspots on the Van der Helststraat!
– There are so much cool shops in Amsterdam! Check them here! >>
– What do you think of a musical journey at the Tropenmuseum? During Rhythm & Roots, you discover how different music styles influenced each other and how it was possible that they went from one continent to another. Rhythm & Roots is a fascinating music expo which will blow your mind! :-) Until October 30!
– The British-Dutch photographer Jimmy Nelson exhibits from never before seen and new work at Rademakers Gallery from May 13 until June 19. For years he travelled around the world to remote places to portray tribes. He wanted to capture what is in danger to disappear. This is a must visit expo for everyone who is curious about special travel pictures.
– Big fans of The Rolling Stones have to go to the Eduard Planting Gallery on Saturday! Until July 9, you can enjoy the beautiful nostalgic (and never before seen) pictures of the band during the expo Breaking Stones 1963-1965: A Band on the Brink of Superstardom.
– Made in Amsterdam takes you on a time travel on the base of 100 art works. During this exposition, you’ll get to know different movements and artists in the Amsterdam art world of the last 100 years. You have the chance to see this with your own eyes until July 31.
– The Jewish Historical Museum still honours the legendary Amy Winehouse. During the Amy Winehouse: A Family Portrait you’ll get a glimpse in the private live of the deceased star. This intimate and personal exposition was put together by Amy’s brother Alex Winehouse. You can visit this expo until September 4.
– The most beautiful, awful and intense photos are exposed in the Nieuwe Kerk. Here you can visit the World Press Photo 16 until July 10. During this exposition, you can admire the impressive photography of many price winning (press) photographers.
– The new cool sister of the museums of Amsterdam: The Moco Museum. This museum focuses on Modern Contemporary Art. And what better way to start this then with the work of Andy Warhol (July 3) and Banksy (September 4)?
– If you’re a fan of the expressive movement De Amsterdams School, you have to visit Stedelijk. During the exposition Wonen in de Amsterdamse School you’ll be able to have a look at more than 500 designs of Jaap Gidding, Michel de Klerk, Piet Kramer, Hildo Krop and Marie Kuyken until August 28.
– From April 8 till June 5, you can admire the beautiful art of Roe Ethridge at Foam. In Shelter Islandhe shows you the end of a nostalgic Summer. Ethridge combines commercial photography with the fine art of photography.
– This one has to be on your to do list: the Catwalk exhibition in the Philipsvleugel of the Rijksmuseum. Rijks presents fashion of the Netherlands from 1625 to 1960. A must visit for fashion lovers! This expo runs until May 22 so this weekend it’s your last chance!
– Have you already been to Close-Up – A New Generation of Film and Video Artists in the Netherlands at EYE Film Instituut? An exhibition featuring numerous recent film and video works and spatial installations by a new generation of filmmakers and artists in the Netherlands. Have a look yourself before the end of this weekend because this expo runs until May 22.
– A must visit expo at Tassenmuseum Hendrikje: Street Couture. At this exhibition it’s all about mix and match: high end fashion is combined with street fashion, sports and pop culture. Visit this expo before June 5!
– In the mood for a tropical party? Then you have to go to Fiesta Macumba XL at Melkweg on Friday. It’s going to be an evening full of dancing, flirting and enjoying the best Latin music! ;-)
– On Saturday A Fat Kids Cake is organizing a crazy part at Chicago Social Club. With a tropical line-up, this is going to be a balmy evening full of dancing and fun!
– Also Ruigoord is having a heavy party on Saturday during Ruigoord invites Bang ‘n Mash. Put on your funky outfit and enjoy some electronic funk and old school hip hop!
– Want to go clubbing this weekend? Get to know the 13 clubs in Amsterdam where you must go dancing.
– Feel like dancing but not in the mood for clubbing? On Saturday Pllek is thé place to be! DJs wil play some of the best records at dinner time and late into the night. After dinner the tables will be set aside so you can dance! See you at Beatroots!
– Up for some good weekend music? Every month we make a new playlist on Spotify! Check our playlists here >>
Anne de Buck
- Amsterdam Tips -
- To do -
Amsterdam Light festival
The Amsterdam Light Festival 2023/2024 are now on sale!More info & tickets »
Rent a bike!
Do you want to see a lot in a short time? Rent a bike and discover the city in a day.Rent a bike here »
Fabrique des Lumières
Perhaps the best new experience in Amsterdam West where art comes to life!Reserve a time slot »
- Stay -
Pillows Maurits Park
Pillows Maurits at the Park is one of the best new hotels in Amsterdam with spa and wellness.Discover prices »
Hotel Jakarta is sustainable, has a wonderful Indonesian restaurant and a nice swimming pool.Discover prices »
Hotel Boat & Co
Affordable and family-proof hotel with studios and a cozy restaurant near the Westerpark.Discover prices »
- Deals -
Escape to nature
Find a nice cabin or house in the Duch nature to escape your busy life for a short (weekend) break.Find a cabin »
Train City Trips
Going on an international city trip in Europe by train? You can do that from € 20,- for a one-way ticket!Check prices »
Want to escape the Netherlands for a holiday? We got you! Check out all the last-minute deals you should knowCheck all last-minutes »