Amsterdam Weekend Guide for March 21-23!
How nice was the weather on Thursday! If it was up to me we would only have
sunny weather like this from now on :-). I’m back from my holiday to Austin and ready for a weekend of fun and relaxing in Amsterdam.
Every Friday I’m a guest on English Breakfast Radio with the Amsterdam Weekend Guide (local radio 99.4 FM, or SALTO on TV). In this hot list I tell you about the cool things to do in Amsterdam. All items are handpicked by me… spots where I would all go when I had all the time in the world :-). Hope you enjoy them too!
– Hartje Oost is a new coffee boutique in Amsterdam East. At this hotspot at the Javastraat you’re welcome for coffee, lunch and shopping! Read my blog about Hartje Oost here.
– Pssst…. Next week the most beautiful building in the Vondelpark opens the doors again as Vondelpark3 (former Vertigo).
– Bakhuys is a new foodie hotspot at the Sarphatistraat perfect for coffee with cake during the day and dinner at night. All organic products and everything homemade at the in house bakery!
– Yourlbb selected the best weekly farmers markets in Amsterdam. These markets are there every Saturday!
– For more hotspots that just opened the doors scroll down this weekend guide or check out the latest hotspots that opened in 2013 here.
– Yourlbb loves markets! Saturday March 22 the Mercatormarkt is back in Amsterdam West. For tasty local produce and more. Check out the details here.
– Four new exhibits at FOAM! Richard Mosse – The Enclave (until June 1), Taiyo Onorato & Nico Krebs – Adding, Adding, Adding (until May 11), Kaveh Golestan – The Citadel (until May 4) and Foam 3h: Ola Lanko – All year round (until May 7). More info here.
– Party party this weekend at:
* Lentekriebels is all about the spring with: live music , art, vintage fashion market and a cool afterparty… Studio K. March 22.
* Last chance to go to Ontrouw (Unfaithful) at Club Trouw on March 22. Let go of your surroundings and find your essence without context. Your attitude is even more important than the dresscode. More info here.
– Do you know the Eduard Planting Gallery at the Eerste Bloemdwarsstraat 2? From March 15 until May 3 there’s a new exhibit by Dan Isaac Wallin called ‘Steps on snow, dust on the lips’ with pictures from his favourite places from his childhood in Sweden.
– Kooza is the new show of Cirque De Soleil! It’s all about acrobats and as all other Cirque Du Soleil shows will probably blow your mind with the performances. The show is in town until April 27. Read all about Cirque Du Soleil here.
– Do you like Amsterdam North? The ‘Oostveer’ is a new ferry that goes from the KNSM Eiland (Azartplein) to Zamenhofstraat. Last year I created a very nice cycling rout in Amsterdam North. So take that ferry and check out his route here! It’s free so fun to do!
– New exhibit at the Tropenmuseum! Black & White tells the story how ‘black’ and ‘white’ live together in Holland. Until July 1st.
– Did you know that the Van Gogh Museum is open till late every Friday? To me it feels very NY where the Guggenheim museum hosts cool parties during the weekend nights. At the Van Gogh Museum the theme is TRAVEL this month.
– Every Sunday there’s a mini festival called Wintercircus going on at Thuishaven in Amsterdam Westpoort at the Moermanskade.
– Psssst… save the date for the weekend of the Rollende Keukens (food trucks) at Westerpark from May 28 to June 1. Read more here.
– Amsterdam East has a ‘new’ theater! Actually it’s a merge of two theaters, but what is brand new is the restaurant. The Oostblok theater serves dishes of local produce. Check out the agenda of the theater here.
– This week the exhibit for Barbie’s 50th birthday bash opened at Tassen Museum Hendrikje. This exhibit is celebrating that Barbie is in The Netherlands for 50 years. Fun to go to with your mum or sister! They also serve a special Barbie High Tea. Until May 5.
– Fashion exhibit at the Rijksmuseum about the history of the coat. From 1630 to 1940! Until June 8 2014.
– LAST WEEKEND! Fashion icon Fong Leng is honored with an exhibit about her life at the Amsterdam Museum. Until March 16 2014.
– This Saturday and Sunday there’s a cool vintage per kilo sale in Amsterdam North again. You can full your bags with vintage gems for only € 15,- per kilo. Grasweg 50. More info here.
– Les Deux Frères is a great concept store in town for guys (sorry ladies!). At Les Deux Frères you can shop unique vintage and stylish fashion. Read all about this cool concept store here.
– The first home and living store at the NDSM Wharf is now open! Woodies At Berlin is an industrial looking store and workplace where all the furniture is locally produced.
– Have you been to the pop-up store at the Jan Eef yet? They’re open until the end of March.
– CP113 is a new concept store on the East side of town. Located at the upcoming Tsaar Peterstraat in Amsterdam you’re welcome for coffee, clothes and more.
– If you’re into beautiful stationary the Misc store is the place to be in Amsterdam. What started as a successful webshop is now one of the coolest stationary stores in Amsterdam.
– Click here for an overview of the best shops in Amsterdam that opened the doors last 6 months.
– Do you like good coffee? Then check out the new coffee spot White Label Coffee at the Jan Evertsenstraat!
– Have you been to the new delicatessen store Deli-Caat yet? For delicious take-out and fresh local produce! You can also drop by for lunch.
– Looking for a nice place to have breakfast or lunch? Omelegg is only open for a few months now and has the best omelets and other egg dishes in town!
– Club Odeon is open again!
– The new and second location of Spaghetteria opened the doors in Amsterdam West.
– Another new hotspot in Amsterdam West is located at the Bilderdijkstraat for coffee and juices you can now go to Berry Amsterdam!
– Did you already book one of the foodie workshops at Sla LAB? Discover them here! Most of them under € 30,-.
– Dophert is a new foodie hotspot at the Spaarndammerstraat in Amsterdam West where it’s all about vegan deliciousness! Open for lunch during the day and take-out dinners!
– Do you like Japanese food? Then Ku Kitchen at the Utrechtsestraat is a restaurant you will like!
–Dr. Blend is a great new place for superfoods! For the healthiest smoothies and wraps in Amsterdam at the Herenstraat. I’m sure you will love it!
– Did you already go to Dvars for the best cocktails in town? Good news! They serve brunch now as well.
– Bar Mick is a new cafe restaurant in the Spaarndammerbuurt in Amsterdam West. Beside De Walvis one more reason to go down to this district!
– Do you have plans for coffee with friends this weekend? Here are some of our favourites:
* Coffee Bru
* Six and Sons
* De Ruyschkamer
* Two For Joy
* De Laatste Kruimel
* Bakers & Roasters
* Stach Food
– What about some healthy food for the weekend? Yourlbb’s favourite healthy hotspots are: SLA, Venkel, Dr. Blend and Lite/Dark. Get ready for spring!
– Great hotspots in Amsterdam West! Voldaan is the place to be for soup and (meat)balls. I was there this Saturday and love this place and the food. Perfect for an easy dinner or lunch!
– Recently I discovered restaurant De Luwte at the Jordaan. This place is around for 27 years and has a brand new concept since last year. It’s a real neighbourhood gem and if you haven’s been there yet… it’s a must go. Check out the delicious food we had there. You will love it.
– The Culinaire Werkplaats is open again! With a brand new tasting experience with the theme ‘Moscow Design’. Until March 2. If you’re looking for a vegetarian restaurant this is a great place!
– Our favourite salad bar SLA opened a second location at the Westerstraat last week. So start the new year with a healthy salad! They are also going to do workshops at SLA LAB this year so stay tuned for more info on that.
– YES! The pop-up store at the Jan Evertsenstraat in Amsterdam West is open again. With more than 14 vendors with unique items. Almost like Artists and fleas in New York!
– Curious about the restaurants that opened late 2013? Click here for an overview with the best new restaurants in Amsterdam
Enjoy your weekend!
More hotspots are in the Amsterdam Little Black Book. A city guide to Amsterdam with the best restaurants, shops and things to do. Always new addresses coming up so check out your online Little Black Book daily for the latest hotspots in town!
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
image via Pinterest
Anne de Buck
- Amsterdam Tips -
- Doen -
Amsterdam Light festival
Het Amsterdam Light Festival is terug in 2021 met de mooiste kunstwerken van de afgelopen 10 jaar in Amsterdam Centrum van 2 december tot en met 23 januari. Tip: wacht niet te lang met het kopen van tickets voor de beste time slots!Boek hier je tickets »
Recent verbouwd en absoluut een bezoek waard (zeker met kleine kids).Kaartjes met korting »
Houd je van street art en moderne kunst? Dan is MOCO hét museum dat je wilt bezoeken in Amsterdam, met onder andere werken van Banksy.Tickets met € 2,- korting »
- Deals -
Day-trips with discount
Recognizable? You want to spend a day out in the Netherlands with the kids, but without expensive entrance tickets for the whole family.Discover the deals »
Train City Trips
Going on an international city trip in Europe by train? You can do that from € 20,- for a one-way ticket!Check prices »
Want to escape the Netherlands for a holiday? We got you! Check out all the last-minute deals you should knowCheck all last-minutes »