Amsterdam weekend guide for September 13, 14 and 15!
I’m a weekly guest with Your Little Black Book on English Breakfast Radio (local radio
99.4 FM). Every week I create an Amsterdam weekend guide with only the best handpicked things to do in Amsterdam! It’s getting colder outside and it’s time to go to cosy coffee places and great restaurabts again :-). This weekend it’s all about the new hotspots in Amsterdam!
Food & Drinks – Amsterdam Weekend Guide
– Chow at the Rozengracht is the newest hotspot from nightlife icon Casper Reinders (Jimmy Woo, Roses Cantina). The interior is stylish as always and the food pan Asian.
– Another hotspot by Casper Reinders is totally renewed. Bo5 turned the lounge area into a French-Moroccan bistro with a classy bistro style interior design. Perfect for dinner after a day of shopping in the city center.
– The Ruyschkamer is a new all day cafe in the street where I live (Yeah!): the Ruyschstraat in Amsterdam East. This hotspot is open from 7.59 am for coffee to go or stay, offers free wifi and you can stay for the dinner of the day after work.
– Remember Toren in Amsterdam North I was raving about a few weeks ago? Just behind the former Shell toren you find ‘A lab’ that is home to The Coffee Virus. A new cafe serving coffee, cake and lunch from Monday to Friday. Overhoeksplein 2 in Amsterdam North.
– Opening this Sunday September 15th for brunch: Staring at Jacob at the Jacob van Lennepkade. Serving Californian style brunch, so expect all the traditional American brunch dishes but then light and healthy.
– Do you love frozen yogurt just as much as I do? At De Pijp there’s a new frozen yogurt hotspot called Yoghurt Barn at the Eerste van der Helststraat. They also serve a high tea style brunch!
– The newest club in town is ABE. Located at the Amstelstraat this club is for 27 and up. Finally a place where I don’t feel old ;-). Expect a New York or London style private club, with classy velvet couches and great service.
Out & About – Amsterdam Weekend Guide
– As you all know from my blog and Instagram posts I like street art! This whole month on Sunday’s there are street art events at the Westergasterras. With workshops and street artists making pieces.
– Also on Sunday the 15th at the Westergasterrein: the Neighbourfoodmarket. This food and flea is always a great place to spend your lazy Sunday with delicious food and drinks and some vintage shopping!
– Saturday the 14th you can go to the Stadsboeren festival at Amsterdam Roest. Expect local produce food stalls, food trucks and flea market. This festival is always great fun and very foodie proof! The girls from Trash to Treasure a great vintage concept are there too :-).
– More food on the Russian Food Festival at Museumplein this weekend. Let the Russian kitchen surprise you between September 13 and 15.
– Another food and flea market on September 14th is the Mercatormarkt in The Baarsjes at the Mercatorplein. Here you can enjoy organic food and buy fleas.
– If you’re more into theater than food check out the experimental Fringe festival with many locations in Amsterdam. Until September 15th!
– For those who love culture it’s open monuments day on September 14 and 15 in Amsterdam. Check out the website for the full agenda.
Still there to visit – Amsterdam Weekend Guide:
– At the Eduard Planting Gallery a very cool exhibit opens with newly discovered black and white photographs of celebrity photographer Terry O’neill opens this wekeend. Until October 19!
– More beautiful photo’s to check out at the new exhibit in the OBA (public library) near Amsterdam Central Station. An Amsterdam Street Diary with pictures from my favourite city by the young photographer Julie Hrudova. Until October 30.
– Last chance to go to Magneet Festival. Until September 15 you’ll get a dose of creativity with crowd sourced theater, music and art. And if you’re there anyway go for dinner at the new restaurant Magnetico!
– Floating pop-up restaurant in Amsterdam North from Chef’s Table. Expect the most culinary dishes at the beautiful location Undercurrent, a floating restaurant on the IJ! Until October 1.
– Urban Campings are hot! In Amsterdam North you find Urban Campsite at the Vliegenbos. Here you can rent mobile objects that are transformed into mini cabins. Also nice restaurants like Bar Moustache do pop-up dinners at the Urban Campsite. Until September 30.
– Every Thursday the Ten Kate Markt in Amsterdam West turns into the foodie event “Kanen bij Ten Kate” and “Kanen aan het IJ”. With the best food trucks in town and long tables to enjoy your food and meet new people!
Pssssst… here’s a list with the new restaurants and bars in Amsterdam that openeed last month
– There’s a new bar concept in the beautiful Conservatorium hotel. If you’re up for a small snack during the day while shopping in Amsterdam Old South or late at night you can now go to the Tunes Bar!
– From the creators of Magneet Festival: Magnetico! A new restaurant in the shape of a submarine. Starting with small bites during Magneet Festival and in October a full menu.
– Cafe Vrijdag is a new grand cafe hotspot on the border of the Rivierenbuurt in Amsterdam and Amsterdam East. A huge cafe and restaurant with a very trendy interior!
– Société Wunderbär is a new bar and restaurant concept in a tiny alley between the Kalvertstraat and Rokin.
– Toren is the new creative hub in Amsterdam North. Opened by ID&T founder Duncan Stutterheim and Sander Groet from club Air the former Shell toren Overhoeks will be turned into a multi functional meeting place. From a 24h club and cafe / restaurant that are already opened to offices and a viewing point.
– Ricardo’s in Odeon is finally open! It’s the newest addition to the pure and rough farm to table restaurant scene. No set menu’s but dinner made and created fresh to order. Read all about Ricardo’s in Odeon here!
– There’s a new club at the Volkskrant building. Until the remodeling of Canvas is ready you can dance the night away at Doka in the basement of the building.
Happy weekend everyone!! What are your plans? Let me know at @yourLBB or #yourLBB :-).
PS: more hotspots are in the Amsterdam Little Black Book. A city guide to Amsterdam with the best restaurants, shops and things to do. Always new addresses coming up so check out your online Little Black Book daily for the latest hotspots in town!
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
Anne de Buck
- Read more? -