HELLO WEEKEND! It’s only mid-autumn and we’re already really excited for the winter season. We can’t wait to bike over the romantically lit canals and to sit by the fireplace with hot chocolate, you? Well, before it’s winter we’re going to enjoy the weekends as much as we can. This weekend there are special burger nights, indoor markets and even a cinema weekender. Fun! Check out all our tips for this weekend in the Amsterdam Weekend Guide for October 13, 14 and 15. Have fun! TIP: We just added new addresses to our Amsterdam City Guide app! With 700 of the best addresses we’ve collected during 5 years of Your Little Black Book our app will guide you to only the best places in town. From lunch spots to neighborhood guides, restaurants and a nearby map search so you can always find a spot close by. Available for iOS and Android, for only € 3,49. I really hope you like this new extension of Your Little Black Book!
- Burger lovers pay attention! Friday October 13 the first edition of the Butcher’s Heaven Burger Night will take place. 30 restaurants serve a slider burger for €5,- per piece in the Centrale Markthal.
- This Sunday is Street Food Sunday at Proefwerk. Think of shared dining with oriental delights for 2 to 3 people for €25,- per person. Ps: drink a specialty beer of Proefwerk with your burger ;-)
- Every Sunday is Rauwe Zondag at MOER! Live music, Magnum wines for €5,- per glass and delicious raw bites. Sounds good!
- On Sunday October 15 at Café Schilders in the Pijp you can eat your hangover away and have drinks on the new terras. With good Sunday afternoon tunes, bar games and nice drinks this promises to be a good weekend closure. Tip: taste the homemade cheese fondue (truffle & classic), flamkuchen with serrano ham or go for a luxurious snack platter. Nice!
- This Sunday Restaurant C launches the new Sunday of C: every Celsius Sunday they serve a 3, 4 or 5 course 360º menu for the price of the lunch menu. The menu composed by chef Arnout van der Kolk will contain two brand new dishes! We are excited ;-)
- Sunday October 15 BLACK COFFEE will be at The Butcher Social Club. In the A’Dam tower the burger bar will get an urban twist with surprising music and lots of creativity… We are curious ;-)
- Long tables, beer, German Schlagers, bockwurst und sauerkraut: what else do you want? Come celebrate Boktoberfest in De Prael this Sunday! Score the last tickets ;-)
- On Saturday October 14 there is a Caribbean pop up by NYam at Hoogtij in Amsterdam North. For €35,- you get a tropical three course menu. Be surprised!
- Oeh-la-la so many great food places have opened their doors over the past few weeks. We are still very busy visiting them all for a full report, but have you been to these new hotspots yet?
PS: Did you already see our new video on YOURLBB.TV?
Do you want to know which restaurants will open soon? Keep an eye on our new ‘Coming Soon’ section! We just added new places to the blog.
Do you tend to often hang out in your own neighbourhood during the weekend? We get you! But Amsterdam is so diverse that it’s nice to try to discover another part of the city too and that’s why we updated some of our favourite street blogs for you!
- Tip: We have a lot more fun lists! Check them here >>
- This weekend from October 13 until 15 LAB111 organizes the Cinema Weekender: Stop worrying, Start loving. At this weekender you’ll see films that have not been shown in the Netherlands, quirky modern classics and extensive documentaries. Ps: the Cineville Filmquiz will also be there!
- Until November 15, Rademakers Gallery in Amsterdam presents the latest work by Jimmy Nelson. With ‘ONLY NEW’ the photographer shows colourful portraits of native people he made for his new book. Cool!
- Did you have an expensive holiday and need to watch your money? These 13 things in Amsterdam cost nothing and are actually fun to do at least once!
- No idea what to do today? Check out our Amsterdam Bucketlist with 56 things you should have done at least once in your life in Amsterdam!
- Planning a movie date? These are the nicest movies to watch this month! From scary clowns to an actual cat documentary.
- This Saturday and Sunday it’s time again for the IJ-Hallen. From 9 AM until 4:30 PM you can stroll through the many stalls to score the most beautiful vintage items!
- This weekend on October 14 and 15 you can go to De Kloffie Markt in De Hallen. A shopping walhalla for second-hand designers, vintage treasures and collector’s items. Have fun!
- Can’t you get enough of the beautiful concept stores in Amsterdam? If you’re looking for a nice gift for someone else or for yourself: there is always something nice or cute to find in a concept store. That’s why we listed our favourite concept stores to shop the most beautiful items.
- Want a new wardrobe for Autumn? Then go to Essentiel, one of our favourite shops in Amsterdam! The new Fall / Winter 2017 collection is all about miracles and fairy tales. Mythical figures and heroines can be seen in the prints of the clothes, but also in the accessories, like bags, sjawls and jewelry. How nice!
- HELLO FALL FASHION! We listed our 8 favourite fall fashion trends that we spotted in New York. In this blog, we explain how we, without spending too much money, went on a shopping spree to Batavia Stad Fashion Outlet and tripled our budget by shopping with discounts up to 70% at shops such as: Scotch & Soda, Fred de la Bretonière, Summum Woman, Tommy Hilfiger, Denham, Calvin Klein, America Today, Shabbies Amsterdam, G-Star Raw and Samsonite. Check out all the brands at Batavia Stad Outlet via this link. Tip: From Amsterdam Central Station, a shopping shuttlebus runs to Batavia Stad Fashion Outlet every day.
Too comfortable on your couch to leave the house during these rainy days? Then you can just shop for a new wardrobe at one of these webshops: MANGO, ZALANDO, NET-A-PORTER, ASOS, SCOTCH & SODA and HUNKEMÖLLER.
- Until January 2019 you can go to the exhibition Fashion Cities Africa at the Tropenmuseum. At this new exhibition in the Tropenmuseum, fashion scenes in four major African cities are central: Casablanca, Johannesburg, Nairobi and Lagos. Many fashion designers, bloggers and stylists from these cities have become popular on social media worldwide.
- Besides that, the new (permanent) exhibition Heden van het Slavernijverleden will also be displayed in the Tropenmuseum from October 6. With their exhibition Heden van het slavernijverleden, the Tropenmuseum wants to make the visitor aware of the current legacy of slavery and colonialism in the Netherlands. Slavery and the stories of the slaves are part of a joint, shared and black-and-white past. A past that co-forms and influences Dutch society.
- Until the end of this month you can go to the exhibition Banksy – Laugh Now in the Moco Museum. On the ground floor you can go to Banksy: Laugh Now. About 50 works can be seen here from the street art legend, and you have to see it at least once. It’s the first time in history that there’s an exhibition with the work of Banksy. You can also go to the beautiful exhibition of Salvador Dalí. 28 years ago one of the most famous artists died and his most iconic work as for example the melting clocks and tables with ‘high heels’ are ready to be seen at the Moco Museum.
YourLBB's newest lists
- Until January 28 you can go to the exhibition Accessories are a Girl’s Best Friend in Tassenmuseum Hendrikje. In this new exhibiton the most remarkable pieces of the Rijksmuseum’s accessory collection are shown. Including parasols, umbrellas, hats, hair accessories, sjawls, gloves, shoes and stockings. These hidden fashion treasures are usually stored in the Rijksmuseum depot, but from September 16 2017 until January 28 2018 you can see them in Tassenmuseum Hendrikje.
- UPDATE: Do you need more inspiration? Check out the other 13 exhibitions in Amsterdam of this month.
- Dance to the best hits from the 90s and 00s at Terug Naar Toen at the Chin Chin Club. After 5 years in the Sugarfactory you can now sing along with the Spicegirls and moonwalk to the hits of Michael Jackson in the new Chin Chin Club!
- This Saturday you can go to Night Tales From: Omar Souleyman in the Marktkantine. Music from the Middle East, Scandinavia, Africa, South America and India come together at Night Tales From. In this first edition you can enjoy Omar Souleyman from Syria live.
- Saturday October 14 ROOMSERVICE celebrates her two-year anniversary in Panama. At this all white special you can enjoy nice R&B, Hip Hop and Afrobeats. Grab your most sexy white dress and have fun!
- 21 x the nicest clubs in Amsterdam to go to every weekend.
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
| PS: Traveling to Amsterdam with kids? My other website Travelkids.co & @travelkids.co is dedicated to family friendly travel. Check it out here >>
- Amsterdam Tips -
- To do -
How fun is this? Discover Amsterdam on a 2.5-hour e-fat bike tour through the center and Amsterdam North.More info & tickets »
Fabrique des Lumières
Perhaps the best new experience in Amsterdam West where art comes to life!Reserve a time slot »
STRAAT street art Museum
STRAAT is Amsterdam’s newest museum that is entirely devoted to street art.Search for tickets »
- Stay -
Pillows Maurits Park
Pillows Maurits at the Park is one of the best new hotels in Amsterdam with spa and wellness.Discover prices »
Hotel Jakarta is sustainable, has a wonderful Indonesian restaurant and a nice swimming pool.Discover prices »
Hotel Boat & Co
Affordable and family-proof hotel with studios and a cozy restaurant near the Westerpark.Discover prices »
- Deals -
Antwerp from € 21,-
What about a day trip to Antwerp? Go by train! Check the direct connections here.Find train tickets »
London return from € 91,-
Travel in 4 hours and 13 minutes and without changing trains with the Eurostar from Amsterdam to London.Find train tickets »
Paris from € 35,-
Much more relaxed than flying! With the Thalys to Paris and get off at Gare du Nord.Find train tickets »