YES WEEKEND! Time to spend time with your lover, friends and family in Amsterdam. No idea what to do this weekend? We made a list with the nicest things to do in Amsterdam this weekend. Of course you start the weekend on Friday at Terrazza Martini at Strandzuid from 5 pm till late! And this weekend you can also go to our favourite ceviche pop-up restaurant: Sjefietshé, visit The Maker Market with your lover or go to Baut Paradijs to try the perfect burger and beer combination. Check out all our tips in this new Amsterdam Weekend Guide for July 28, 29 & 30.
TIP: We just added new addresses to our Amsterdam City Guide app! With 700 of the best addresses we’ve collected during 5 years of Your Little Black Book our app will guide you to only the best places in town. From lunch spots to neighborhood guides, restaurants and a nearby map search so you can always find a spot close by. Available for iOS and Android, for only € 3,49. I really hope you like this new extension of Your Little Black Book!
PS: did you see the latest vlog on YOURLBB.TV yet?
- Tip for all vegetarians and flexitarians ! Till July 28 you can go to the vega pop-up #BurgerProof in Amsterdam. The very first vegan rice & bean burger bar in the Netherlands!
- Every Friday and Saturday pop up chefs are preparing their signature dishes in the kitchen of Bar Sue. This Friday en Saturday you can go to our favourite ceviche restaurant: Sjefietshé. Get a 3-course ceviche dinner inspired by Peru, Korea and Amsterdam for € 25. And no worries, dessert won’t include fish ;-) Extra fun: the TonTon Club will be here too!
BAUT Paradijs found the perfect beer burger combination and you can try it yourself this Friday in the transformed BAUT-bierparadijs (beer paradise). Come from 5 PM and let them surprise you.
- This Sunday, you can go to the INK Hotel to visit the Bottomless Brunch where you can enjoy the nicest savoury and sweet snacks, cocktails and unlimited bubbles. This is how a Sunday should be.
Every Sunday morning, young and old in Berlin leave the house for a cozy joint breakfast somewhere in the many cafés in Berlin. From early in the morning till late in the afternoon you can go to the city for the famous Berliner frühstücks. Poesiat & Kater starts this tradition in beautiful Amsterdam. So visit Poesiat & Kater this Sunday morning for a Berlin breakfast on the terrace.
- Attention all Bloody Mary lovers! This summer you can go to a new boozy brunch pop-up in Amsterdam (but also in Rotterdam and The Hague)! We’ve tested it for you so check the date quickly and read all about it >>
- At Restaurant Luwte you can eat oysters on the terrace this month. Keep an eye on their Instagram for the exact dates.
- This Sunday you end the weekend at Proefwerk with oysters for 1 euro, Bloody Mary’s, homemade vodka, Dj’s, live-acts and hopefully some sunshine.
Last oyster call: at Remise47, the whole month July is all about oysters (visit the restaurant during the Crazy Oyster Days and get oysters for only € 1,50!). Btw: during August it’s all about the best mussels of Amsterdam.
- Do you want to know which restaurants will open soon? Keep an eye on our new ‘Coming Soon’ section! We just added new ones.
- 3 new restaurants in Amsterdam to go to real quick with your lover of friends:
- Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday you can have a brunch at Strangelove. Done eating? Then you can go to the movies at LAB 111.
- Do you want to eat healthy but not in the mood to cook? Order online, because we listed our 12 favourite spots where you can order a healthy breakfast and 17 favourite spots where you can order healthy things. But also our favourite places in Amsterdam West and Amsterdam Oost where you can order too.
- Every Sunday you can go to Sunday Roast at Mr. Porter at the W Hotel and believe us, this is nice! Read the blog here!
- Throughout the month of July and August you can sip oysters on Sundays and cheers with bubbles at Restaurant MOER. The oysters are € 1 and a glass (bio) Cava only € 5.
- Tip: We have a lot more fun lists! Check them here >>
- On Saturday July 29, you can go to the best Friday afternoon drink spot Edelwise but this time at Rembrandtpark. It’s time for Edelwise Festival. Get your tickets for the most surprising day of the year!
- And there’s of course an afterparty. Come to Lokaal Edel in Het Sieraad after the Edelwise Festival and dance till the late hours.
- This Saturday (July 29) Pride Amsterdam 2017 begins with the famous Pride Walk and Pride at the Park. Join the Pride Walk from the Homomonument to Vondelpark. At Vondelpark you can go to the Pride at the Park with all kinds of sports clinics, a Rainbow Market, Youth Pride and Lesbian pride corners. There will be many artists with live music performances at the Open Air Theater until 11 PM.
- It’s time for the seventh edition of The Maker Market this weekend! The coolest makers from Amsterdam get together at De Hallen. That means shopping, eating and enjoying live performances.
- This Friday Pride Amsterdam starts and that’s for movie theater LAB111 a wonderful opportunity to show the most beautiful films in which love (for the same sex) are the main focus. Where to go this weekend? On July 27 you can go to Weekend (2011), July 28 to La Vie D’Adele (2013) and next Thursday, August 3 you can go to A Single Man (2009).
Tip: In the year that four independent bookstores in Amsterdam closed their doors, Boycott Books decided to open their doors in Amsterdam North. They sell special (international) children’s books, art books, illustrated books and posters at the Waddenweg 10 and are open from Wednesday to Sunday.
Do you want to go away for the weekend? Come to Ibiza Festival in Noordwijk for the perfect Ibiza experience. On Saturday 29 and Sunday 30, the second Ibiza Festival will be held in Noordwijk aan Zee. During the festival you will find about 150 stands with fashion items, bags, jewelry, interior accessories and many handmade products with an Ibiza vibe.
- Come to Pllek this Sunday for the Stille Disco (Silent Disco). Put your headphones on, stand with your feet in the sand and dance for 10 hours straight on disco, hip hop & afro tunes or classics from years ago.
Till August 6 you can visit the biggest Surinamese and Multicultural festival of the Netherlands, the Kwaku Summer Festival. Expect delicious Surinam and Caribbean food ;-)
- TIP: Lowlands has an amazing line up. Artists like Alt-J, Moderat and Solange(!) will be on stage this year and we will be there. Did you already buy a ticket?
- These are the 13 restaurants that opened their doors last month in Amsterdam. And these are the 7 breakfast and lunch spots. Have fun!
- In for a cultural afternoon? These are the best exhibitions in Amsterdam this month.
- No idea what to do today? Check out our Amsterdam Bucketlist with 56 things you should have done at least once in your life!
- Planning a movie date? These are the nicest movies to watch in cinema this month!
- New: Do you like to go to a festival? But don’t like camping? Then Lowlands Gllamcamp has the perfect solution for you! Never sleep in a leaking tent again.
- Do you like Dutch designer items? Then visit this Sample Sale on Sunday with designers such as Barbara Langendijk, Camiel Fortgens, Liselores Frowijn, Hardeman and Schüller de Waal.
This summer, you can shop at Batavia Stad during the week until 8 PM and you will get extra high discounts during the SALE period (till August 20). Did you know that they have brands such as Scotch & Soda, Fred de la Bretonière, Summum Woman, Tommy Hilfiger, Denham, Calvin Klein, America Today, Shabbies Amsterdam, G-Star and Samsonite at Batavia Stad? Tip: From Amsterdam, a shuttlebus runs to Batavia Stad Fashion Outlet every day.
- SALE! At most webshops you get 50-70% discount. Perfect if you need anything for your next city trip or holiday. Check out our favorite stores: MANGO -50%, ZALANDO -70%. NET-A-PORTER -70%, ASOS -70%, SCOTCH & SODA –50% and HUNKEMÖLLER -50%:
- This is the great Lowlands packlist. What do you need to take with you to thé festival of the year?
De Tropen is coming alive Saturday night. Blackstereo brings the nightlife of Brooklyn to Amsterdam and that means that you can expect sexy, hot, dark and rhythmic music.
- Until September 3 you can visit the exhibition Animalia Amsterdam from photographer Isabella Rozendaal in Stadsarchief Amsterdam. Isabella photographed pets from Amsterdam for a year. Think of dogs, cats, pigs and giant slugs. Pets take the feeling of loneliness in the big city away and make sure we take care of somebody. This exhibition shows that in a beautiful way.
- Visit the new exhibition from Gordon Parks – I Am You in Foam until September 6. Gordon Parks used photography to capture and share the division of society in America. He fought for equal rights for Afro Americans and wasn’t afraid to talk about themes like poverty and injustice.
- The photographer Lionel Wendt (1900-1944) from Sri Lanka seems to be re-discovered. The work he used to make was eclectic: from sensual and homo-erotic portraits to tropical images of Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). After his death, most of his negatives were destroyed, but the work he left behind lives on. In Huis Marseille you can see some of his work till September 3.
- Visit the Moco Museum, our favourite museum in Amsterdam! On the ground floor you can go to Banksy: Laugh Now. About 50 works can be seen here from the street art legend, and you have to have seen that at least once. You can also go to the beautiful exhibition of Salvador Dalí. 28 years ago, one of the most famous artists died and his most iconic works, for example the melting clocks and tables with ‘high heels’ are ready to be seen at the Moco Museum till August 30.
Our newest lists
- Go to the Tropenmuseum (until July 2018) for the exhibition Body Art where you learn everything about body decorations. From make-up and tattoos, to skin implants and surgical changes. Sounds cool right?
- At Tassenmuseum Hendrikje you can go to the exhibition; It’s a Men’s World. Since 15 years we can’t think of a world without the men’s bag. For every type of man, there’s a bag that fits him. But this is not new. Till August 27 you can go to the exhibition about the man, his world and his bag.
- Do you need more inspiration? Check out the other 14 exhibitions in Amsterdam of this month.
- Do you already have a ticket for THE summer festival of 2017? The Ark Festival cruise travels from Barcelona to Marseille and Ibiza, and back to Barcelona from August 31 till September 4. Check our blog with 18 reasons why you want to be there!
- This Saturday it’s time for Frits Festival at Dok Amsterdam. Better said: bare feet in the sand, sunglasses on and start dancing on the best hits. Get your tickets now!
Fuifje is travelling and this time they found a really nice location for their party; Waterkant! Expect a tropical party, nice tunes and of course a lot of ice cold drinks.
On Saturday and Sunday you can go to Milkshake Festival. The festival to celebrate who you are, regardless of your skin color, sexuality or religion. Let’s celebrate!
Get your friends together on Sunday for Thuishaven Zomercircus where Acid Pauli and Satori b2b for the first time play a set of 10 hours in De Loods.
End the week with Sloppy Sundae at Disco Dolly, the perfect spot to forget about your hangover and actions from the weekend.
- This Saturday you can enjoy the best of vinyl at Zwarte Liefde at Cut Throat. An evening with the nice analog sound of the black gold. Hip, Hop, RNB, Disco, Funk, Soul and Jazz.
- Yes, it’s time for Vunzige Deuntjes! The whole weekend (Saturday and Sunday) you can enjoy the best artists and live music, eat & drink and do some nice activities with friends. Who’s ready for maybe the funniest festival of Amsterdam?
- Every Saturday you can dance in De Zomerkantine in De Marktkantine, for the best after-festival-parties. Different national and international artists will play special sets at De Zomerkantine and there will be a secret headliner.
- 21 x the nicest clubs in Amsterdam to go to every weekend.
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
- Read more? -