WEEKEND! No idea what to do this weekend in Amsterdam, but do want to go out? Lucky you! We of course made a list with the nicest things to do in Amsterdam this weekend. Check out the new menu of Ree7, drink some beers at Strandzuid with your colleagues or take a look at Zomerfeest Blijburg and enjoy some bites and drinks on the beach! Check out all our tips in this new Amsterdam Weekend Guide for July 21, 22 & 23.
TIP: We just added new addresses to our Amsterdam City Guide app! With 700 of the best addresses we’ve collected during 5 years of Your Little Black Book our app will guide you to only the best places in town. From lunch spots to neighborhood guides, restaurants and a nearby map search so you can always find a spot close by. Available for iOS and Android, for only € 3,49. I really hope you like this new extension of Your Little Black Book!
PS: did you see the latest vlog on YOURLBB.TV yet?
- Scoop! PARK Café Restaurant at Hotel Arena launched a new food concept with a delicious plant-based menu with veggies from their own herb garden. We went there for a tasting and tell you all about it in the new blog >>. If you’re looking for a great outdoor hotspot to go to with friends this weekend this is one of our favourite patios in Amsterdam! Check the video below to get a nice impression of PARK Café Restaurant.
- From July 21, Bar Sue starts with pop-up restaurants. Every Friday and Saturday pop up chefs are preparing their signature dishes in the kitchen of Bar Sue. On Friday you can enjoy a Fusion Asian Food 3-course menu. Check the Facebook of Bar Sue for the dishes and make a reservation!
- At Restaurant Luwte you can eat oysters on the terrace this month. Keep an eye on their Instagram for the exact dates.
- Ree7 has a new menu and of course that needs to be tested! Drop by for a nice breakfast or have a good lunch.
Always wanted to make your own sausage? Come to Gebroeders de Wolf on Sunday and follow a workshop on how to make your own goose sausages. This includes a tasting and of course you can take your sausages home.
Come to Strandzuid on Friday with friends or colleagues to drink a beer. Enjoy a night of a lot of fun, good music and table football.
- Attention all Bloody Mary lovers! This summer you can go to a new boozy brunch pop-up in Amsterdam (but also in Rotterdam and The Hague)! We’ve tested it for you so check the date quickly and read all about it >>
- Good news for everyone who is crazy about Italy’s taste. This whole summer, restaurant 5 & 33 serves a Sicilian menu and we already went there to taste.
- Tip: at Remise47, the whole month July is all about oysters (visit the restaurant during the Crazy Oyster Days and get oysters for only €1,50!). Btw: during August it’s all about the best mussels of Amsterdam.
- Do you want to know which restaurants will open soon? Keep an eye on our new ‘Coming Soon’ section! We just added new ones.
- There’s a terrace festival coming where the best terraces of Amsterdam are coming together for just a couple of days to end summer!
- 2 new restaurants, 1 store and 1 city escape in Amsterdam to go to real quick with your lover of friends:
- Do you want to eat healthy but not in the mood to cook? Order online, because we listed our 12 favourite spots where you can order a healthy breakfast and 17 favourite spots where you can order healthy things. But also our favourite places in Amsterdam West and Amsterdam Oost where you can order too.
- Every Sunday you can go to Sunday Roast at Mr. Porter at the W Hotel and believe us, this is nice! Read the blog here!
- Throughout the month of July and August you can sip oysters on Sundays and cheers with bubbles at Restaurant MOER. The oysters are € 1 and a glass (bio) Cava only € 5.
- Tip: We hebben nog véél meer leuke lijstjes! Check ze hier >>
IJburg is the place to be this Saturday. You can go to Zomerfeest Blijburg where you can hop from stage to stage for the best bands and DJ’s. Now let’s hope for some sun!
- This weekend you can go to the Over het IJ Festival! For 10 days, from July 14 to 23, you can visit several theater plays of new and already known art makers at unique locations in Amsterdam North, on the shore of the IJ and at the NDSM Wharf. Check out the Facebook page for the full program of the festival and have fun!
- Every Saturday afternoon there’s live music in the Vondelpark Openluchttheater. This Saturday you can listen to Esther von Haze en FALT!
This Sunday (with nice weather) city beach Dok Amsterdam will be transformed into a jungle for Don’t Feed The Animals. Take a seat on a beach chair and enjoy Soul and Jazz music. In the afternoon RnB, House, confetti and Jagermeister shots will be added.
From Saturday to August 6 you can visit the biggest Surinamese and Multicultural festival of the Netherlands, the Kwaku Summer Festival. Expect delicious Surinam and Caribbean food ;-)
- TIP: Lowlands has an amazing line up. Artists like Alt-J, Moderat and Solange(!) will be on stage this year and we will be there. Did you already buy a ticket?
- In July and August, Artis is open until sunset on Saturdays during Zoomeravond. Nice!
- In for a cultural afternoon? These are the best exhibitions in Amsterdam this month.
- No idea what to do today? Check out our Amsterdam Bucketlist with 56 things you should have done at least once in your life!
- Have you already seen our list with the best festivals that are happening soon? Buy your tickets quickly!
- Planning a movie date? These are the nicest movies to watch in cinema this month!
- New: Do you like to go to a festival? But not like camping? Then Lowlands Gllamcamp has the perfect solution for you! Never sleep in a leaking tent again.
- Going to the beach this weekend? Don’t forget to pack these items.
- Are you in the mood to shop this weekend? It’s SALE in Batavia Stad Fashion Outlet so you now get a lot of extra discount at brands such as: Scotch & Soda, Fred de la Bretonière, Summum Woman, Tommy Hilfiger, Denham, Calvin Klein and G-star Raw. No time this weekend? Until September 3 Batavia Stad is open till 10 PM and there will be a Shuttlebus bringing you from Amsterdam Central Station. Tip: Check out what brands you can find at Batavia Stad.
- SALE! At most webshops you get 50-70% discount. Perfect if you need anything for your next city trip or holiday. Check out our favorite stores: MANGO -50%, ZALANDO -70%. NET-A-PORTER -70%, ASOS -70%, SCOTCH & SODA –50% and HUNKEMÖLLER -50%:
- Need a new suitcase? Check our favourite suitcases that are not boring at all.
- NEW: until September 3 you can visit the exhibition Animalia Amsterdam from photographer Isabella Rozendaal in Stadsarchief Amsterdam. Isabella photographed pets from Amsterdam for a year. Think of dogs, cats, pigs and giant slugs. Pets take the feeling of loneliness in the big city away and make sure we take care of somebody. This exhibition shows that in a beautiful way.
- Visit the new exhibition from Gordon Parks – I Am You in Foam until September 6. Gordon Parks used photography to capture and share the division of society in America. He fought for equal rights for Afro Americans and wasn’t afraid to talk about themes like poverty and injustice.
- The photographer Lionel Wendt (1900-1944) from Sri Lanka seems to be re-discovered. The work he used to make was eclectic: from sensual and homo-erotic portraits to tropical images of Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). After his death, most of his negatives were destroyed, but the work he left behind lives on. In Huis Marseille you can see some of his work till September 3.
- Visit the Moco Museum, our favourite museum in Amsterdam! On the ground floor you can go to Banksy: Laugh Now. About 50 works can be seen here from the street art legend, and you have to have seen that once. You can also go to the beautiful exhibition of Salvador Dalí. 28 years ago, one of the most famous artists died and his most iconic works, for example the melting clocks and tables with ‘high heels’ are ready to be seen at the Moco Museum till August 30.
Our newest lists
- Go to the Tropenmuseum (until July 2018) for the exhibition Body Art where you learn everything about body decorations. From make-up and tattoos, to skin implants and surgical changes. Sounds cool right?
- At Tassenmuseum Hendrikje you can go to the exhibition; It’s a Men’s World. Since 15 years we can’t think of a world without the men’s bag. For every type of man, there’s a bag that fits him. But this is not new. Till August 27 you can go to the exhibition about the man, his world and his bag.
- Do you need more inspiration? Check out the other 14 exhibitions in Amsterdam of this month.
- Do you already have a ticket for THE summer festival of 2017? The Ark Festival cruise travels from Barcelona to Marseille and Ibiza, and back to Barcelona from August 31 till September 4. Check our blog with 18 reasons why you want to be there!
- Finally it’s here, this Saturday you can go to Welcome to the Future Festival in Amsterdam North. Do you already have a ticket?
- Come Saturday July 22 to the second edition of Tropendisco in the court yard of De Tropen in Oosterpark. Dance on RnB, HipHop and your favourite House hit.
The most fun tram of Amsterdam is ready for another party this Saturday. Tram 10 opens its doors for a special summer ride with techno DJ Bram Fidder.
- End the week with Sloppy Sundae at Disco Dolly, the perfect spot to forget about your hangover and actions from the weekend.
On Saturday you can listen for 8 hours straight to Hip Cox Hop at Leidsetuin / Kopstootbar. The first four hours DJ’s DJ Teknix and Jip Merkies will play some nice hits at Leidsetuin and the last 4 hours in the Kopstootbar.
- Every Saturday you can dance in De Zomerkantine in De Marktkantine, for the best after-festival-parties. Different national and international artists will play special sets at De Zomerkantine and there will be a secret headliner.
- On Saturday July 22 you can visit the Waterkant for De Feestzusjes. From J.Lo to Diddy and Mercy, all the legendary hits from the last years will be played to dance on!
- 21 x the nicest clubs in Amsterdam to go to every weekend.
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
- Read more? -