WEEKEND! We love summer and especially the one in Amsterdam. On the weekends you can visit countless festivals with friends, markets, brunches and new hotspots that opened their doors to catch the last moments of sunshine. And then there are of course the ‘old but gold’ locations that are always fun in the summer. Think of Waterkant, Pllek and DOK Amsterdam. No idea what to do this weekend in Amsterdam? Check out all our tips in this new Amsterdam Weekend Guide for August 11, 12 & 13.
TIP: We just added new addresses to our Amsterdam City Guide app! With 700 of the best addresses we’ve collected during 5 years of Your Little Black Book our app will guide you to only the best places in town. From lunch spots to neighborhood guides, restaurants and a nearby map search so you can always find a spot close by. Available for iOS and Android, for only € 3,49. I really hope you like this new extension of Your Little Black Book!
This Sunday it’s time for Zilte Zondag at RAZMATAZ. That means enjoying oysters with hopefully some sunshine on the terrace!
Craving fish and meat of the bbq, but don’t feel like standing behind the grill this Saturday? Come to Surf & Turf at Atelier Restaurant & Bar and eat oysters, chicken, lobster and lots of meat from the barbecue.
- Come to the Planet Oedipus Music & Beer Festival in Amsterdam North this weekend and enjoy craft beers, a lot of fun and a lot of food.
- At Remise47, the whole month August is all about the best mussels of Amsterdam. With who do you want to go on a mussels date?
- The renovated Amstel Boathouse lays within walking distance of the Martin Luther Kingpark where De Parade in Amsterdam takes place this year. During this theater festival (from August 11 til 27) the existing menu will be transformed into a culinary Parade menu. Enjoy a shared dining menu with 7 dishes and get an entry ticket and a ticket for one of the shows for only € 45, – per person.
On Sunday August 13 you can go to DOK’s Silent Disco & Hamburgers. Dance with your feet in the sand while the burgers are waiting for you on the barbecue.
- Attention to all food lovers! In the weekend of August 12 and 13 de Foodhallen is all about 24Kitchen because it’s time for another edition of the 24Kitchen Festival. There will be lots of things to do, to see and of course to taste.
- Every Sunday in August you can go to the Summer Nights at Park Café – Restaurant. Enjoy a 3 course dinner with a glass of bubbles for € 33.50 or a sangria with a piadina for € 24 euro.
- Attention all Bloody Mary lovers! This summer you can go to a new boozy brunch pop-up in Amsterdam (but also in Rotterdam and The Hague)! We’ve tested it for you so check the date quickly and read all about it >>
- Till September 2 you can go to island Pampus with the boat for a culinary surprise evening at pop-up restaurant Zomerlicht. No boat? No worries. You will be picked up with the motor clipper Sailboa at IJburg and you’ll arrive 30 minutes later at Pampus.
PS: did you see the latest vlog on YOURLBB.TV yet?
- Do you want to know which restaurants will open soon? Keep an eye on our new ‘Coming Soon’ section! We just added new ones.
- 2 restaurants in Amsterdam to go to real quick with your friends or lover:
- Do you want to eat healthy but not in the mood to cook? Order online, because we listed our 12 favourite spots where you can order a healthy breakfast and 17 favourite spots where you can order healthy things. But also our favourite places in Amsterdam West and Amsterdam Oost where you can order too.
- Every Sunday you can go to Sunday Roast at Mr. Porter at the W Hotel and believe us, this is nice! Read the blog here!
- Throughout the month August you can sip oysters on Sundays and cheers with bubbles at Restaurant MOER. The oysters are € 1 and a glass (bio) Cava only € 5.
- Tip: We have a lot more fun lists! Check them here >>
- YES this Friday De Parade finally starts! The most fun theater festival of the Netherlands streches down in the Martin Luther Kingpark. For two weeks long you can visit over 60 theater-, dance-, mime- and music performances at various theater tents, enjoying great food at the special food trucks and hopefully enjoy the sun.
From August 11 till 13 NEMO shows movies on the roof in collaboration with Filmtheater Kriterion. Every evening from 8 PM till 11 PM you can enjoy a movie on Amsterdam’s highest city square while enjoying a drink and a bite. After the movie you can dance on the best tunes in the restaurant until 1 AM. Friday you can watch the movie Her, Saturday Back To The Future and Sunday Moon.
Shopping time at the IJ-Hallen. On Saturday and Sunday there are plenty of stalls ready to complete your summer wardrobe!
On Saturday August 12 you can go to a new Vondel Disco! Expect confetti, shots, Corona’s and lots of fun. This time there will be old and new faces and no less than: Lumière, Mia More en Sheila Hill.
- On Saturday you can go to Noorderlicht Café for a nice beach party; Life’s A Beach Festival. Ps: It’s completely free!
- On Sunday the Pure Markt will strike down in the Amstelpark. Enjoy a day out with friends and a lot of tasting and drinking.
- Until August 20 the Grachtenfestival will be present in Amsterdam. Thé festival for classical music in the heart of the city. Check out the entire festival program here.
- TIP: Lowlands has an amazing line up. Artists like Alt-J, Moderat and Solange(!) will be on stage this year and we will be there.
- In for a cultural afternoon? These are the best exhibitions in Amsterdam of this month!
- No idea what to do today? Check out our Amsterdam Bucketlist with 56 things you should have done at least once in your life!
- Planning a movie date? These are the nicest movies to watch in cinema this month!
- Do you like to go to a festival? But don’t like camping? Then Lowlands Gllamcamp has the perfect solution for you! Never sleep in a leaking tent again.
- Come to the Kloffie Boutique in de Hallen on Friday August 11 and shop second hand designer, vintage treasures and collectors items!
This Saturday and Sunday you can go to the Zipper Super Summer Sale at Proefwerk. Score the most beautiful vintage items of your favourite brand Zipper for a nice price and go with your new outfit to that fun barbecue or festival.
- This summer, you can shop at Batavia Stad during the week until 8 PM and you will get extra high discounts during the SALE period (till August 20). Did you know that they have brands such as Scotch & Soda, Fred de la Bretonière, Summum Woman, Tommy Hilfiger, Denham, Calvin Klein, America Today, Shabbies Amsterdam, G-Star and Samsonite at Batavia Stad? Check out all the brands at Batavia Stad Outlet over here. Tip: From Amsterdam, a shuttlebus runs to Batavia Stad Fashion Outlet every day.
- SALE! At most webshops you get 50-70% discount. Perfect if you need anything for your next city trip or holiday. Check out our favorite stores: MANGO -50%, ZALANDO -70%. NET-A-PORTER -70%, ASOS -70%, SCOTCH & SODA –50% and HUNKEMÖLLER -50%:
- Until September 23 you can go to Legends Passed at Eduard Planting Galerie, they give a tribute to legends that are no longer with us. Think of Prince, David Bowie, Muhammad Ali, Chuck Berry, Johan Cruijff and Roger Moore. Let yourself be enchanted by seeing nostalgic portraits of the legends that we still miss each day.
- Come to Streets of the World of Jeroen Swolfs until September 30. Streets of the World is a project by Dutch photojournalist Jeroen Swolfs. Over the last 7 years, the photographer traveled around the world to take pictures of street life in every capital of the world. 195 photos and 195 countries later, he wants to give the world a new, positive perspective of the world now that the negative images are spreading daily through the news. Make a trip through different countries and cities based on his special photos.
- Until August 27 you can go to Het Scheepvaartmuseum Amsterdam for Ode aan een Amsterdammer. Amsterdam is a city where everything is possible and allowed and this exhibition understood that well. You can wacht about 70 portraits of inhabitants of Amsterdam that show how much diversity and character the city of Amsterdam has.
- Visit the Moco Museum, our favourite museum in Amsterdam! On the ground floor you can go to Banksy: Laugh Now. About 50 works can be seen here from the street art legend, and you have to have seen that at least once. You can also go to the beautiful exhibition of Salvador Dalí. 28 years ago, one of the most famous artists died and his most iconic works, for example the melting clocks and tables with ‘high heels’ are ready to be seen at the Moco Museum till August 30.
Our newest lists
- Go to the Tropenmuseum (until July 2018) for the exhibition Body Art where you learn everything about body decorations. From make-up and tattoos, to skin implants and surgical changes. Sounds cool right?
- At Tassenmuseum Hendrikje you can go to the exhibition; It’s a Men’s World. Since 15 years we can’t think of a world without the men’s bag. For every type of man, there’s a bag that fits him. But this is not new. Till August 27 you can go to the exhibition about the man, his world and his bag.
- Do you need more inspiration? Check out the other 16 exhibitions in Amsterdam of this month.
- Do you already have a ticket for THE summer festival of 2017? The Ark Festival cruise travels from Barcelona to Marseille and Ibiza, and back to Barcelona from August 31 till September 4. Check our blog with 18 reasons why you want to be there!
- Come to the Schuifelbingo at Sexyland this Friday evening for a night of romance and sticky slow dancing. Get a hold of your ‘eight grader self’, because there will be slow dancing until the early morning.
- Feel like going to a beach party? Come to the Downtown Beach Party at DOK Amsterdam this Saturday August 12 with DJs like Isaac Blaze en Miss Sugaware.
End the week with Sloppy Sundae at Disco Dolly on Sunday, the perfect spot to forget about your hangover and actions from the weekend.
This Saturday it is fi-na-lly time for Appelsap Festival. Do you already have tickets? Believe it or not, even Lil Wayne is performing ;-)
Or come to Loveland Festival at Sloterpark this Saturday with DJs like Joris Voorn, Solomun and Benny Rodriques.
- On Sunday you can go to one of the last editions of Festimi, so gather your friends and dance to the greatest hits until the late hours.
- 21 x the nicest clubs in Amsterdam to go to every weekend.
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
- Amsterdam Tips -
- To do -
(Private) Canal Cruise
Make a boat tour and enjoy the Amsterdam Light Festival from the water during a cruise on the canals.Tickets from € 16,- >>
This new experience with unique and colourful installations is the Instagram hit of Amsterdam.Book a time slot >>
- Stay -
This trendy hotel with a rooftop, restaurant and club is located in hot and happening Amsterdam East.Check the rates >>
This lifestyle hotel is located on Herengracht in the Canal District and also loved by locals.Check the rates >>
- Deals -
Visit the number one photography museum of Amsterdam for exhibits about contemporary photography.Get tickets for € 12,50 >>
Tulips at Keukenhof
One of the most Instagrammable places in Holland during this season!Get that Insta-photo >>