35 tips for this weekend in the amsterdam weekend guide
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! The days that I have been looking forward to MOST this year are just around de corner. When you are reading this I am on my way to the Ardennes, to celebrate Christmas with my family. This year will be extra special because it is our first Christmas as new parents! I am driving the brand new Peugeot 5008 to test out this spacious new car, so at least I will have plenty of space for all the presents. Other than quality family time, I am planning on a whole lot of quality me-time. Watching Christmas movies, Netflix and of course enjoying all the delicious food. I also love to use this more quiet time to reflect on my business and plan for things to come. We are preparing for a re-design of Your Little Black Book that will include a more efficient search bar, so you guys can enjoy all the great content we have made over de past 6 years! But first… some major relaxing and quality time with friends and family. This edition of the Amsterdam Weekend Guide is bursting with tips for a fun weekend in Amsterdam, but we also made sure to include all the fun activities and events for December 24, 25 & 26.
TIP: Have you already subscribed to our newsletter? Submit your e-mail and get the weekend guide, among other great tips in your inbox every week!
PS: Good news for the loyal viewers of the Travelkids.co vlogs! There’s a brand new vlog ready where I bring you along on our amazing trip to beautiful Tulum. You can also watch our adventures with the little family behind the scenes on Instagram!
everything you want to know about the holidays in amsterdam
Happy holidays with these handy lists:
- This entire December you can book this Festive Afternoon Tea at the Waldorf Astoria in Amsterdam
- 14 x Restaurants in Amsterdam that are open for Christmas and can be booked online
- 8 x Great parties for after the Christmas dinner
- 9 x Places in Amsterdam to score a last minute Christmas tree
- 7 x Christmas departments where you can buy the best stuff for in the tree
- 9 x Adresses where we love to go for a hot chocolate
- 8 x Things that are always good to do during the winter in Amsterdam
- 11 x Great parties on New Years Eve
- 11 x Restaurants that are open on December 31
A couple of winter events you don’t want to miss:
- The Hortus by Night is back this year
- Go for a walk up until January 20 by the Amsterdam Light Festival
- Go curling at 85 meters high
- The Amsterdamse Winterparadijs from December 21 till 30
- Up until February 3rd: The ice rink on Museum Square!
Can’t get enough of the Christmas markets? These tips are for you!
- 6 x Christmas markets in Amsterdam you don’t want to miss
- 10 x The nicest Christmas markets across The Netherlands
- 10 x The best Christmas markets in Germany
Are you celebrating the holidays abroad?
- 10 x Tips for Christmas in New York
- The ultimate guide to celebrate Christmas in Paris
- 8 x Tips if you’re going to Disneyland Paris for the holidays
Or would you prefer to skip Christmas and watch movies and series the entire day?
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
25 fun things to do in Amsterdam this weekend
- NICE, De Amsterdamse Winterparade has started in the RAI. Are you already going this weekend or did you purchase a passe-partout? This year the Winterparade is bigger and better than last year, so we’re really excited. And they’re hosting lots of events like Terug Naar Toen that’s this Saturday. Read everything you want to know about De Amsterdamse Winterparadijs here >>
- Every year it’s a magical evening, at Hortus by Night in the Hortus Botanicus. The tickets for the dinner are already sold out unfortunately, but keep an eye on Facebook – they’re offering tickets every now and then over there! Taking a walk through the lighted garden is also really fun to do, with hot cocoa or a glühwein. Read all about it here >>
- Did you already went ice skating at ICE*Amsterdam on the Museum Square? The Ice*Village is also back this year where you can buy Christmas items. And yes, also the cutest bridge is present! A winter in Amsterdam is not complete without it if you ask me. Read all about the best ice rink of the city here >>
- One of the best Friday afternoon drinks (and parties in the evening) if you ask me: EdelWise in Edel. It’s back this Friday! As always, tickets can only be bought at the door, so get there early and avoid a huge line, or even worse – a sold out party. Check the Facebook event here.
- Would you like to make a picture this month while standing in front of a giant Christmas tree? Take a look in the winter garden of the Pulitzer hotel in Amsterdam, to see the 11 meters tall tree that looks amazing this year!
- Are you one of the lucky ones and are you spending the holidays in New York? Check out our 10 x Tips for the Holidays in The Big Apple >>
- Besides De Amsterdamse Winterparade, the RAI is also the host of Valhalla this Saturday. As every year they go all out with this party, so it’s bound to be a spectacle. Acts by Lil Kleine to Girls Love DJs, and everything in between. Check the Facebook event here, there are still a couple of tickets available!
- At Restaurant Bluespoon they’re serving a cocktail with one ingredient that they always throw away in the kitchen. This is because they want to pay more attention to sustainability and throw less away. And believe me – the cocktail is one you’ll want to try!
- All I want for Christmas…. is youuu! I can’t imagine that there’s anyone in Amsterdam who hasn’t broken out in spontaneous singing while hearing this song. And you can sing it this Friday at the Christmas Party at Duke of Tokyo with a microphone and background music and all! Of course you can also pick a different Christmas song, or if you prefer to sing Justin Bieber – that’s also allowed. Check the Facebook event here.
- Did you spot it yet? The pop-up store by Chanel in the Nine Streets? You can visit it until January 6 in the Runstraat 22 to celebrate the launch of the limited edition red bottle of Chanel number 5.
- A special night out indeed: Cinderella of the National Ballet this Saturday or Sunday. Even if ballet is not really your thing, you will definitely enjoy this. Of course everyone knows the fairytale of Cinderella. And of course the dance is central, but there’s also lots of humor and a wonderful decor. Check the Facebook event here.
- Need a last minute Christmas outfit? Stop by Zipper this Friday, Saturday or Sunday, where they host the Warehouse Christmas Event. It’s at the NDSM terrain, where they host a giant Christmas Clothing Event. The warehouse is filled with clothing racks, so let the shopping begin! Click here for the Facebook event.
- Want to go out for dinner on New Years Eve? At one of these 11 x Hotspots in Amsterdam that are open on New Years Eve you’re guaranteed to have a great (and delicious) evening >>
- Such a great recommendation, for both young (from around 10 years old) to old! Murder in Artis is an exciting game that’s played in the Zoo during the evening, by using your smartphone. You’ll be listening how an intern is trying to solve a murder. Of course dress warmly! Click here for the Facebook event with more info. Murder in Artis an also be played a couple of times during the week.
- Of course we end our weekend with Sunday at Nieges at Meneer Nieges. The absolute recommendation is the ‘Patatje Stoofvlees’ and the boardgames – with a nice glass of wine with it! Click here for the Facebook event.
- If you prefer a culinary Sunday, then go to Celsius Sunday at Restaurant C. A fine dining three course lunch with fitting cocktails for € 45,- and you’re all set for a brand new week! Reservations are a must. Check the Facebook event here.
- Two of our favourite things combined: rooftops and night markets. They’re doing that this Friday at the newest rooftop in the South East, Jackie. Their Rooftop Night Market starts at 5PM and ends at 10PM. Besides the market they also have lots of food stalls, art stalls, music and a Christmas vibe. Nice! Click here for the Facebook event.
- Yes, finally! The Amsterdam Light Festival has started. Are you going for the walking tour, or perhaps rent a boat and watch it from the water? Read all about the Amsterdam Light Festival here >>
- Are you a real carnivore? Then you definitely want to go to Carters ROAST, that they’re hosting every Sunday at Carter in the South of Amsterdam. Roasted chicken or Côte de Boeuf with roasted veggies and potatoes. Tasty comfort food to end your weekend in a relaxing way! Check the Facebook event here.
- You can also close off you weekend with a nice Boozy Brunch at Lokaal Edel. Even if you like to sleep in, as this brunch starts as early as 11AM and ends at 8 in the evening! They serve big brunch platters, savoury and sweet, and of course lots of Bloody Marys. Click here for the Facebook event.
- YESS, we can go Curling at 85 meters at Floor17! Whether you’re good at it or not doesn’t really matter, you can still enjoy the view and it’s a fun activity to do with your friends. Read all about it here >>
- Very convenient if you need to do some last minute Christmas shopping: The Sunday Market at the Rokin. And of course it’s a Christmas Edition! The Rokin has been completely remodelled and it turned out really well, so another tip is to stop by one of the hotspots on this street for a drink afterwards. Click here for the Facebook event.
- In another part of town, namely the East of Amsterdam, there’s also a nice Sunday market. The Pure Market in Park Frankendael. Dress warm, as it’s all outside but certainly a markt you want to go to – especially if you’re looking for the best wines and bites to take home with you! Check the Facebook event here.
- Another market tip: the Albert Cuypmarkt is open tis Sunday! They’re having a special Christmas market. So the normal market with a touch of Christmas. Very convenient if you need to do some last minute gift shopping, but also to score the ingredients for your Christmas dish. Click here for the Facebook event.
- Would you like to stay up to date of all the spots that are opening soon? Keep an eye on our ‘Coming Soon‘ list!
Our newest lists
PSSSST… YOU CAN FIND MORE (TRAVEL) TIPS IN MY BOOKS!
- Feed Your Wanderlust – Travel Guide for a bohemian lifestyle (new in 2018)
- Staycation – 22 guides and shortlists for a vacation close to home (new in 2018)
- Wanderlust – Urban Travel Style Guide
- De Amsterdam City Guide (Dutch) & The Amsterdam City Guide (English)
- Amsterdam Tips -
- To do -
This new experience with unique and colourful installations is the Instagram hit of Amsterdam.Book a time slot >>
(Private) Canal Cruise
Make a boat tour and enjoy the Amsterdam Light Festival from the water during a cruise on the canals.Tickets from € 16,- >>
- Stay -
This trendy hotel with a rooftop, restaurant and club is located in hot and happening Amsterdam East.Check the rates >>
This lifestyle hotel is located on Herengracht in the Canal District and also loved by locals.Check the rates >>
- Deals -
Visit the number one photography museum of Amsterdam for exhibits about contemporary photography.Get tickets for € 12,50 >>
Tulips at Keukenhof
One of the most Instagrammable places in Holland during this season!Get that Insta-photo >>