Amsterdam Weekend Guide for May 9-11!
I’m so excited about this weekend! There are simply to many cool things to do.Like the Food Film Festival and the Pure Markt. I also have a super special dinner coming up… My love takes me and his mum to &Samhoud Places**. I’m a lucky girl :-). If you want to go out to grab some food with me too… check out my invitation for a farmers brunch here.
– This weekend it’s finally time for the Food Film Festival at the Westergasfabriek! I’m very excited to check it out on Sunday :-). Do you like food events? Check out my blog with 4 food events you don’t want to miss this spring!
– Food stalls with tasty produce to eat on the spot or to take home with you. That’s the Pure Markt in Amsterdam. Sunday May 11 at the Amstelpark in Amsterdam!
– Too bad the weather is not that nice this weekend… Because the IJsboefje in Amsterdam East is a ice-cream shop worth checking out.
– Bar Brouw in Amsterdam East opened the doors last week. I was there with my love for some good meat :-). Love this new addition to the restaurant and bar scene in my neighbourhood!
– Another new spot in Amsterdam East: Lokaal Amsterdam is now open on the Wibautstraat where once cafe Leentje was. An all day cafe!
– As you all know… I LOVE coffee! And last week I discovered a new coffee spot in town: Filter.
– Coffee, afternoon drinks and late night cocktails. It’s all possible at Swych! And did you know that Rembrandt used to live in exactly the building where Swych is located?
– As a girl from Zeeland you can Imagine that I LOVE my roots. So I’m very happy to let you know that Amsterdam has its own restaurant for mussels and G&T’s now. Mossel & Gin at the Westergasfabriek area.
– The new restaurant at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel is named Librije’s Zusje Amsterdam. I’m thinking of going there for my 31st b-day and am quite excited about that!
– Best oyster happy hours in Amsterdam! Every Saturday and Sunday between 3 – 7 pm at Hugo’s Bar & Kitchen. All oysters for only € 1,-! And also &Samhoud Places has oyster happy hour between 5-7 pm with oysters for only € 1,-. Great deal right?! And soooo NY ;-).
– Nothing better than shopping at the weekly farmers markets in Amsterdam. Our Saturday favourites!
– Always great for some good healthy food on Saturday or Sunday: my 10 favourite healthy hotspots here.
– Did you see the post yet with the 25 new food hotspots in Amsterdam? Check them out in the overview here.
– Do you like denim? Then this weekend the Amsterdam Denim Days are something you will like. A two day festival all about jeans! With a lot of special things going on and if you’re at the Westergasfabriek area anyway… check out the Food Film Festival too!
– One of my favourite photo exhibits of the year: the World Press Photo! This year now at the Oude Kerk but at the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam.
– This tip is for treasure hunters! This weekend on Saturday and Sunday there’s a IJ-hallen flea market in Amsterdam North again. I found so many treasures there already… def. worth checking out!
– Did you already book a foodie workshop at Sla LAB! Discover all the workshops here! Most of them under € 30,-.
– Club Odeon has a cool new club night on Friday: Nachtdieren!
– A bit older crowd, great tunes and good vibe: Disco Dolly.
– Did you know that the Van Gogh Museum is open till late every Friday? To me it feels very NY where the Guggenheim museum hosts cool parties during the weekend nights.
– Four new exhibits at FOAM! Richard Mosse – The Enclave (until June 1), Taiyo Onorato – Adding, Adding, Adding (until May 11). More info here.
– New exhibit at the Tropenmuseum! Black & White tells the story how ‘black’ and ‘white’ live together in Holland. Until July 1st.
– Tassen Museum Hendrikje has a new exhibit about 10 years Vlieger & Van Dam. The cool Amsterdam based brand! More info here.
– Fashion exhibit at the Rijksmuseum about the history of the coat. From 1630 to 1940! Until June 8 2014.
– The new Pull & Bear store is now open! There’s more and more cool high street fashion coming to town and I bought the cutest anchor sign loafers there at the VIP opening :-).
– Alert for lovers of industrial design… Blom & Blom is the latest addition for factory style vintage furniture and more! Located at the Chrysantenstraat 20A.
– A new concept store around the corner of the Nine Streets. Brainy Days is a collection extraordinaire with unique items.
– Les Petites Puces has a new location. This cute vintage cafe and store is now open in the heart of the Red Light District.
– Three of my favourite vintage shops in Amsterdam:
* Trash to Treasure has a new location at the Van Baerlestraat 97.
* Tatski & Kar celebrated their 1st year anniversary. Congrats girls! You can check out their store at Koningsstraat 27a.
* Libertine is the newest project of Casper Reinders. It’s a gallery slash store for vintage curiosities at the Prinsengracht.
* Kaufhaus is a cool vintage clothing and furniture store at the Sweelinckstraat 21 in Amsterdam.
– I blogged about many other cool stores that opened the doors this years. Discover 5 other new stores in Amsterdam here.
My long list of hotspots that I’ve been to recently or that are top of my mind!
– Have you been to Rein yet? The newest healthy food hotspot at the Rijnstraat in the Rivierenbuurt. For breakfast, lunch or just a smoothie.
– YES!! The guys who had the very good pop-up restaurant Repéré open a new pop-up restaurant called Foyer at Felix & Foam this weekend. With 3 – 5 courses starting at € 29,50. I was there last week and loved it!
– The Waldorf Astoria Hotel is now open! With a restaurant and cocktailbar. The restaurant is called Librije’s Zusje Amsterdam and I’m sooo curious if it’s as good as the one in Zwolle… Will check it out soon!
– Do you know Oostblok? At this vintage style cafe and restaurant you can enjoy a seasonal 2 course menu for only € 20,-. It’s also a theater so check the agenda for the shows.
– Headfirst Coffee Roasters is open again! Check out the new location at the Westerstraat here.
– Since the weather is getting better every weekend it’s time to check out these favourite summer hotspot! Click here for the summer hotspot blog.
– Recently I discovered restaurant De Luwte at the Jordaan. This place is around for 27 years and has a brand new concept since last year. It’s a real neighbourhood gem and if you haven’s been there yet… it’s a must go. Check out the delicious food we had there. You will love it.
The weekend quote for this week is designed by Charlene Kwee. Thanks Charlene for contributing to
Your Little Black Book.
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram