Amsterdam Weekend Guide for June 20, 21 and 22!
Friday, Saturday and Sunday are the best days of the week if you ask me :-). And this weekend Amsterdam is full of things to do. So no fuzzy socks and pajamas this weekend! I’m asked by Eastpak to create a very cool city guide for them about Amsterdam East. So I will be running around from hotspot to hotspot this weekend to cover my personal view on my neighbourhood for their blog. Can’t wait!
– There’s a new pop-up in town! June 21 the no waste pop-up restaurant InStock opens the doors at the Westergasfabriek in Amsterdam.
– COOL! A bring your own meat BBQ at De Tolhuistuin this Saturday. Starting at 3 pm.
– New hotspot for Amsterdam North! Cafe De Ceuvel opens the doors at the Korte Papaverweg on June 21. This place looks really laid back so can’t wait to check it out!
– NEW location for the Neighbourfoodmarket this weekend. This cool market goes to Amsterdam East and pops up at the Krugerplein not far from hotspots Rum Baba and Michel-inn. So check it out Saturday June 21.
– Another food market Sunday June 22 is the Pure Markt at the Beatrixpark.
– Do you have your own boat? Check out Bluespoon on Board for the best take out on the Prinsengracht!
– Vuurtoreneiland is back! You can now book your dinner at this very special restaurant at an island near Amsterdam.
– Best oyster happy hours in Amsterdam! Every Saturday and Sunday between 3 – 7 pm at Hugo’s Bar & Kitchen. All oysters for only € 1,-! And also &Samhoud Places has oyster happy hour between 5-7 pm with oysters for only € 1,-. Great deal right?! And soooo NY ;-).
– Nothing better than shopping at the weekly farmers markets in Amsterdam. Our Saturday favourites!
– Always great for some good healthy food on Saturday or Sunday: my 10 favourite healthy hotspots here.
– Did you see the post yet with the 25 new food hotspots in Amsterdam? Check them out in the overview here.
– Live concerts at the Amsterdamse Bos. All summer long at the open air theater in the forest! Yay :-).
– If you like theater check out the Rode Loper Festival (red carpet festival) in Amsterdam East this weekend. Unique stories told by artists!
– This summer WESTwaarts organizes 5 cultural Sundays at the Erasmuspark in Amsterdam West. Expect live music, performing arts and a market.
– Most canal houses have amazing historic gardens and this weekend these secret gardens open the gates for the public. From June 20-22. Tip: the Waldorf Astoria is one of the gardens. Fun to drink a coffee or tea afterwards at this very chic hotel!
– Every summer one of my fav things to do! The ZOOmer avonden at Artis.
– New expo at the Stadsarchief. Vintage Amsterdam photos by legend Ed van er Elsken.
– Do you and your friends know where to watch the World Cup yet? I think Rio020 is the best choice if you want to go to one of the larger parties. Watching the games next week in a huge orange living room with furniture from local thrift shops!
– If you rather watch in a bar or cafe I listed 19 of my favourite hotspots to watch the World Cup soccer here.
– The Vondelpark Openluchttheater (open air theater) is back in business every Sunday! Check the website for the latest artists.
– Last week I went to the new theater show about the diaries of Anne Frank. Beautiful stage and great to see the story at Theater Amsterdam (Dutch speaking).
– One of my favourite photo exhibits of the year: the World Press Photo! This year now at the Oude Kerk but at the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam.
– Did you already book a foodie workshop at Sla LAB! Discover all the workshops here! Most of them under € 30,-.
– There’s a mini festival at PLLEK in Amsterdam North this weekend! And you all know how much we love this summer hotspot. With music, food and a mini market. They also serve a special dinner!
– Club Odeon has a cool new club night on Friday: Nachtdieren!
– A bit older crowd, great tunes and good vibe: Disco Dolly.
– New exhibit at the Eduard Planting Gallery: Reflecting Identities by dindi. An expo with colourful XXL photographs.
– Did you know that the Van Gogh Museum is open till late every Friday? To me it feels very NY where the Guggenheim museum hosts cool parties during the weekend nights.
– New exhibit at the Tropenmuseum! Black & White tells the story how ‘black’ and ‘white’ live together in Holland. Until July 1st.
– New store in town! At the Thuyskamer all products are for sale. And the good news is that everything is made from re-used materials. Great concept.
– New at the Kinkerstraat! Gekaapt the latest pop-up by the guys from the Jan Eef.
– Three of my favourite vintage shops in Amsterdam:
* Trash to Treasure has a new location at the Van Baerlestraat 97.
* Tatski & Kar celebrated their 1st year anniversary. Congrats girls! You can check out their store at Koningsstraat 27a.
* Libertine is the newest project of Casper Reinders. It’s a gallery slash store for vintage curiosities at the Prinsengracht.
* Kaufhaus is a cool vintage clothing and furniture store at the Sweelinckstraat 21 in Amsterdam.
– I blogged about many other cool stores that opened the doors this years. Discover 5 other new stores in Amsterdam here.
My long list of hotspots that I’ve been to recently or that are top of my mind!
-This weekend healthy food hotspot Lite/Dark opens the second location at the Zeedijk. Makes me really happy!
– New Coffee spot in Amsterdam Old South: Coffee Concepts.
– Vinnies Deli opened a second location last week. This weekend they’re on full speed with the new menu, so go out and taste! Nieuwezijds Kolk 33hs.
– Bar Hutspot is now open! Ik was there last weekend and to me this new bar and restaurant has all the ingredients to become Amsterdam’s next hot door!
– Did you hear about Van ‘t Spit yet? The new chicken only hotspot in Amsterdam West!
– New hotspot in Amsterdam East! Walter’s is the new all day cafe and restaurant at the Javastraat.
– Great news for foodies! A new Stach Food store in Amsterdam West and Marqt at the Ceintuurbaan :-). Yay to healthy food!
– Just open for one week! Restaurant THT next to the Tolhuistuin. Affordable food and a great view over the IJ.
– If the weather is sunny Floor 17 is perfect to enjoy the sun and great views. It’s the highest rooftop bar of Amsterdam is now open! Floor 17 is 85 meter hight. And trust me… that’s NY-ish high!
– Great new spot for drinks and bites on the banks of the river Amstel: Thuis Aan De Amstel. Located behind the Amstelstation at the area of the former gass union. Very nice with sunny weather!
– New location for Stach Food at the Admiraal de Ruyterweg!
– Alert for lovers of industrial design… Blom & Blom is the latest addition for factory style vintage furniture and more! Located at the Chrysantenstraat 20A.
– A new concept store around the corner of the Nine Streets. Brainy Days is a collection extraordinaire with unique items.
– Les Petites Puces has a new location. This cute vintage cafe and store is now open in the heart of the Red Light District.
– Go for a refreshing ice-cream to the IJsboefje in Amsterdam East is a ice-cream shop worth checking out.
– Bar Brouw in Amsterdam East opened the doors! I was there with my love for some good meat :-). Love this new addition to the restaurant and bar scene in my neighbourhood!
– As you all know… I LOVE coffee! And last week I discovered a new coffee spot in town: Filter.
– Coffee, afternoon drinks and late night cocktails. It’s all possible at Swych! And did you know that Rembrandt used to live in exactly the building where Swych is located?
– As a girl from Zeeland you can Imagine that I LOVE my roots. So I’m very happy to let you know that Amsterdam has its own restaurant for mussels and G&T’s now. Mossel & Gin at the Westergasfabriek area is great for afternoon drinks and bites with friends.
– Have you been to Rein yet? The newest healthy food hotspot at the Rijnstraat in the Rivierenbuurt. For breakfast, lunch or just a smoothie.
– YES!! The guys who had the very good pop-up restaurant Repéré open a new pop-up restaurant called Foyer at Felix & Foam this weekend. With 3 – 5 courses starting at € 29,50. I was there last week and loved it!
– The Waldorf Astoria Hotel is now open! With a restaurant and cocktailbar. The restaurant is called Librije’s Zusje Amsterdam and I’m sooo curious if it’s as good as the one in Zwolle… Will check it out soon!
– Do you know Oostblok? At this vintage style cafe and restaurant you can enjoy a seasonal 2 course menu for only € 20,-. It’s also a theater so check the agenda for the shows.
– Headfirst Coffee Roasters is open again! Check out the new location at the Westerstraat here.
– Since the weather is getting better every weekend it’s time to check out these favourite summer hotspot! Click here for the summer hotspot blog.
– A few months ago I discovered restaurant De Luwte at the Jordaan. This place is around for 27 years and has a brand new concept since last year. It’s a real neighbourhood gem and if you haven’s been there yet… it’s a must go. Check out the delicious food we had there. You will love it.
PS: more hotspots are in the Amsterdam Little Black Book. A city guide to Amsterdam with the best restaurants, shops and things to do. Always new addresses coming up so check out your online Little Black Book daily for the latest hotspots in town!
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
Anne de Buck
- Amsterdam Tips -
- To do -
Amsterdam Light festival
The Amsterdam Light Festival 2023/2024 are now on sale!More info & tickets »
Rent a bike!
Do you want to see a lot in a short time? Rent a bike and discover the city in a day.Rent a bike here »
Fabrique des Lumières
Perhaps the best new experience in Amsterdam West where art comes to life!Reserve a time slot »
- Stay -
Pillows Maurits Park
Pillows Maurits at the Park is one of the best new hotels in Amsterdam with spa and wellness.Discover prices »
Hotel Jakarta is sustainable, has a wonderful Indonesian restaurant and a nice swimming pool.Discover prices »
Hotel Boat & Co
Affordable and family-proof hotel with studios and a cozy restaurant near the Westerpark.Discover prices »
- Deals -
Antwerp from € 21,-
What about a day trip to Antwerp? Go by train! Check the direct connections here.Find train tickets »
London return from € 91,-
Travel in 4 hours and 13 minutes and without changing trains with the Eurostar from Amsterdam to London.Find train tickets »
Paris from € 35,-
Much more relaxed than flying! With the Thalys to Paris and get off at Gare du Nord.Find train tickets »