23, 24 and 25 August Amsterdam weekend guide!
I’m a weekly guest with Your Little Black Book on English Breakfast Radio (local radio
99.4 FM). Every week I create an Amsterdam weekend guide with only the best handpicked things to do in Amsterdam! With a lot of cool events to celebrete summer in the city :-)
Shopping – Amsterdam Weekend Guide
– I LOVE markets! This weekend in Amsterdam Oost at the Oostpoort there’s a Pop-up Market handcraft edition with traditional craftsman producing trendy and modern product. Also a perfect market to shop vintage furniture with a personal story! August 24 10-18 hours.
– The rumour where all design lovers are talking about is that the Danish design brand HAY will open a store in Amsterdam. Soon this new Hay Amsterdam will open close to the Spui.
Out & About – Amsterdam Weekend Guide
– Tonight Magneet Festival will open it;s doors. For 3 weeks the Oostpunt will be the area of this creative and alternitive festival. Here it’s all about performing arts, music and theater. If you’re going try the new restaurant Magnetico!
– Aperativo XL is a new event in Amsterdam West! Around restaurant Du Cap at the Kwakersplein on Friday night August 23 the square will turn into a mini festival and on Saturday 24th you can enjoy food and drinks and more DJ’s!
– From 16 – 25 August it’s the annual ‘Grachtenfestival‘ or Canal Festival. All around town there are music performances. From classical to modern with as the highlight the Prinsengrachtconcert on August 24.
– Sunday August 25 Amsterdam Roest will be the place to be for modern hippies :-) with the Moderne Hippies Markt. At this cool market you can buy cute stuff like jewelry and vintage, but also fresh juices and good food. It promises to be a sunny day so perfect to head to Roest! Piece!!
– For the food lovers this Sunday there’s a Pure Markt at Park Frankendael again! Enjoy yummy organic food and local beers. And when you’re at the Pure Markt also visit the ‘Eat-in in de Moestuin’ lunch of the Youth Food Movement between 14-18 o’clock. Just bring a dish to share, free entrance!
– Festival tip of the week: Dekmantel weekender at the Amsterdam forest!
Still there to visit – Amsterdam Weekend Guide:
– Urban Campings are hot! In Amsterdam North you find Urban Campsite at the Vliegenbos. Here you can rent mobile objects that are transformed into mini cabins. Also fun restaurants like Bar Moustache do pop-up dinners at the Urban Campsite. Until September 30.
– The coolest theater festival is finally in town! The Parade is open daily from 9 – 25 August at the Martin Luther Kingpark with theater shows, silent disco, food and drinks!
– Floating pop-up restaurant in Amsterdam North from Chef’s Table. Expect the most culinary dishes at the beautiful location Undercurrent, a floating restaurant on the IJ!
– Now showing at the Amsterdamse Bos Theater: Cyrano! Bring your own picnic basket and enjoy a night of outdoor theater.
– If you’re looking for a unique dining experience book a table at the Zomerrestaurant. On Vuurtoren island, an island normally not open to the public, but close to Amsterdam a pop-up restaurant will open from Thursday to Sunday. A daily changing menu by some of the best known chef in Amsterdam. Reservations are required. Prices include the boat ride!
-The Artis Zoo summer nights are on again! Until the end of the summer Artis stays open on Saturdays until after 21 hours. With every Saturday live shows and a special programme.
– My favourite theater… the Vondelpark theater with shows every Sunday afternoon until August 25th. Free entrance! You can check out the agenda here.
– Fun for a Sunday walk is to stroll around Art Zuid. Lots of sculptures and outdoor art around the Apollolaan. It’s a local initiative to support art and I think it really cheers up the street view! Until September 22th.
– New exhibit in Foam Amsterdam! It’s all about fashion with Edward Steichen – In High Fashion, the Condé Nast Years, 1923–1937. Untill September 6th!
– Every Thursday the Ten Kate Markt in Amsterdam West turns into the foodie event “Kanen bij Ten Kate” and “Kanen aan het IJ”. With the best food trucks in town and long tables to enjoy your food and meet new people!
Have a great weekend everyone!! Love to hear all about your plans! Let me know at @yourLBB or #yourLBB :-). Talk to you soon!
PS: more hotspots are in the Amsterdam Little Black Book. A city guide to Amsterdam with the best restaurants, shops and things to do. Always new addresses coming up so check out your online Little Black Book daily for the latest hotspots in town!
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
| PS: Traveling to Amsterdam with kids? My other website Travelkids.co & @travelkids.co is dedicated to family friendly travel. Check it out here >>
Anne de Buck
- Amsterdam Tips -
- To do -
How fun is this? Discover Amsterdam on a 2.5-hour e-fat bike tour through the center and Amsterdam North.More info & tickets »
Fabrique des Lumières
Perhaps the best new experience in Amsterdam West where art comes to life!Reserve a time slot »
STRAAT street art Museum
STRAAT is Amsterdam’s newest museum that is entirely devoted to street art.Search for tickets »
- Stay -
Pillows Maurits Park
Pillows Maurits at the Park is one of the best new hotels in Amsterdam with spa and wellness.Discover prices »
Hotel Jakarta is sustainable, has a wonderful Indonesian restaurant and a nice swimming pool.Discover prices »
Hotel Boat & Co
Affordable and family-proof hotel with studios and a cozy restaurant near the Westerpark.Discover prices »
- Deals -
Antwerp from € 21,-
What about a day trip to Antwerp? Go by train! Check the direct connections here.Find train tickets »
London return from € 91,-
Travel in 4 hours and 13 minutes and without changing trains with the Eurostar from Amsterdam to London.Find train tickets »
Paris from € 35,-
Much more relaxed than flying! With the Thalys to Paris and get off at Gare du Nord.Find train tickets »