34 fun things to do in our amsterdam weekend guide
YES, there’s an extra long weekend waiting for us yet again. A three day weekend is something I could really get used to, same for the sleeping in on Monday morning ;-). An extra weekend day also means more time to do fun things. And we have enough options the upcoming days! From cultural trips to parties in De Marktkantine (techno lovers will definitely want to go here). But we can also score vintage items at the flea market in the IJ-Hallen. And the festival season has really begun now! From the Women’s Health Fit For Summer 2018 till dancing at De Zon Festival. Whatever you’re going to do this weekend: Enjoy!
HAPPY WEEKEND! <3
PS: There’s a new vlog this week on Travelkids.co! I’ll tell you all about my new life, with all its ups and downs that come with being a parent! Have a sneak peek behind the scenes and you can also follow me on Instagram! And for whoever is interested there’s also an extensive baby room tour ready.
34 tips for things to do this weekend in Amsterdam
- Lemonade brand Karvan Cevitam is turning 70 years and they’re celebrating it with a Pop-Up Lemonade Bar at the Prinsengracht. You can visit the bar up untill May 26th. You can create your own mocktail together with the shakers. From sweet to spicy, from refreshing till bitter. Click here for the Facebook event.
- Attention Gin lovers! This weekend is the Gin Festival at the Undercurrent. All the G&Ts that you can imagine, but also wodka, vermouth and several kinds of cocktails. Check the Facebook event here.
- Up for a fit Saturday? The Women’s Health Fit For Summer Festival 2018 will take place in the East of Amsterdam. You can participate in several workshops, learn everything about a healthy lifestyle and beauty tips. A healthy lunch is also included! Check out our elaborate blog here >>
- This Saturday the Midnight Market will take place in Amsterdam North. You can find the best vintage items here, but also music, food and drinks. Perfect as a pre-party on Saturday! Check out our blog about the Midnight Market here >>
- This Sunday the Museum Market is back at the Museum Square. You can score gerat items for inside your home, stop by the food stands or just go for a drink. Click here for the Facebook event.
- The festival season has officially begun! This Sunday is De Zon Festival 2018 at Blijburg aan Zee. It’s almost sold out, so be quick! Check the Facebook event here. Would you prefer another festival? Check out our festival guide here >>
- Hotspot Restaurant C is opening their terrace this Sunday. Expect a 360 degrees cocktail experience, with bar bites and music. Nice! Check out the Facebook event here.
- Would you like do to something with the kids? Then go to the Pampus Island this weekend. They’re hosting Proef Pampus, which means that the entire island has been transformed into a village where children are the boss. They can build forts here, go for a picknick, there are market stalls, music and shows. Fun for every age! The only thing you’ll need is a ticket for the boat ride to Pampus. Check the website for more info.
- Do you feel like doing something cultural this weekend? Then pay a visit to the Park Hotel Amsterdam. They’ve set up all kinds of art works by local artists in their special room The Gallery Zone. Every two months a different artist or gallery gets the spotlight. Nice to have a peek inside! Click here for more info.
- Score some gems at the flea market in the IJ-Hallen: a nice option for this weekend! As usual try to get there early in order to get the best finds. Check the Facebook event here.
- At the Tropenmuseum they’re hosting the third edition of My Kitchen is Your Kitchen this Saturday. This time the Asian kitchen plays the lead at a six course walking dinner. You can still reserve a spot! Check out the Facebook event for more info.
- In the East of Amsterdam they’re hosting a Vietnamese Street Food Night starting at 5PM in the QRU Amsterdam Café. After three courses the karaoke set will be turned on! Click here for the Facebook event.
- BBQ with a view at Canvas op de 7e this Friday at Canvas op Hete Kolen. They have meat, as well as fish or vegetarian. And in the evening a DJ will be playing. Click here for the Facebook event.
- New York New York! If you’re a fan of the Big Apple you’ll want to see this exposition. You can visit it up until June 30th 2018 in the gallery of Eduard Planting in the Jordaan. Photographer of the series, Richard Koek, lives in Brooklyn and Amsterdam and wants to show his love for New York through his photos. Click here for more info.
- Sunday the Social Sunday Sessions are back at The Butcher Social Club. Relaxing music, nice food and drinks. Click here for the Facebook event.
- Starting from Sunady Ali B will be performing his own comedy show ‘Koorts’ in de Kleine Komedie. You maybe know him from his music career, but he’s also a comedian! Regulars of the comedy club Toomler are bound to have seen him there at least once. Click here for the Facebook event with more info and tickets.
- Craving asparagus? Then go to Restaurant Moer this Sunday. From the classic dish with egg to experimental dishes. When the sun’s out you can sit on the terrace! Click here for the Facebook event.
- Techno legend Pan-Pot will be playing the entire Friday evening and night in De Marktkantine. You won’t want to miss this! Besides presales they also have door sales. Click here for the Facebook event and tickets.
- Are you a real sneaker freak? Then you won’t want to miss Sneakerness Amsterdam this Friday and Saturday in the Kromhouthal. All sorts of sneakers can be found here, from vintage to designer items. Check the Facebook event with more info here.
- LAST CHANCE: go to Envy for a full-on asparagus dinner while you still can. Check out the elaborate blog here >>
- Are you exploring the city by boat this week? Check out the 25 x Best terraces where you can go by boat!
- Do you already have tickets for Taste of Amsterdam? Check out our blog and you could win 10 x 2 tickets >>
- TIP: The World Press Photo Exhibition in De Nieuwe Kerk is still in full swing. Have you already been there? Check the Facebook event here.
- Starting on Monday De Merkenwinkel is hosting a new pop-up store: Zand-Erover. Cute minimalistic design items. Definitely stop by when you’re close to the Gerard Doustraat! Check the Facebook event here.
- Sunny weekend! Have you already been to La La IJs for some resfreshing? Especially the vegans will want to know this spot.
- On Monday you can stroll around on the Dappermarkt. Because of Pentecost they have a special edition! Click here for the Facebook event.
- You don’t want to miss this: Cantina at De Marktkantine. Boris Werner, Dennis Ferrer and Makossa will be playing. Nice! Click here for the Facebook event.
- Is the Veggie Festival already noted in your schedule? June 15 till June 17 2018 this festival is held on the NDSM wharf.
- Hotspots Reuring and Paskamer are collaborating this Sunday. They’re hosting a Fruit de Mer dinner together at Reuring. Expect many oysters, lobster and other sorts of seafood. Check the Facebook event here.
- YOU’LL WANT TO SEE THIS: The “My Name Is Prince” exposition can be visited up until June 8th in the Beurs van Berlage. Read all about this unique exposition on the life of pop legend Prince here >>
- Back to the HipHop 90s at the Chin Chin Club. You can already buy your ticket online, but they also have doorsales. The party is officially called ‘No Scrubs’ so the old TLC hit is bound to be played! Check the Facebook event here.
- Do you already know which Food Festivals you’re going to attend? Check out our ultimate Food Festival Guide 2018!
- Would you like to stay up to date of all the spots that are opening soon? Then keep an eye on our ‘Coming Soon‘ list!
- Feel like meeting up with friends this weekend? How about: one of these best coffee bars in Amsterdam? Or at one of these nice wine bars?
Our newest lists
AND MAKE SURE TO NOT FORGET THESE TIPS…
- Feel like going for a walk this weekend and discover a new neighbourhood? Check out the best spots around the Gerard Dou!
- Would you like to visit a sunny terrace this weekend, but you don’t know which one to pick? Click here for our list with the 74 best terraces in Amsterdam in every neighbourhood!
- Want to have a quiet weekend? Check out these 11 x Netflix series you’ll want to see!
- Don’t have any inspiration on what to do? Check out our Amsterdam Bucketlist with 56 things you’d want to have done at least once in your life!
- Tip: We have many more lists! Check them here >>
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.
Follow @yourlbb on Instagram
Anne de Buck
- Read more? -
- Vlogs & Videos -