27 fun things to do this weekend in amsterdam
Are you one of the lucky ones that have an extra long weekend this coming weekend, or is Friday just another work day for you? Either way, an extra day off is never a bad thing of course ;-). And it is nice to fill an extra free day like Liberation Day this Thursday with something nice. For example De Rollende Keukens in the Westerpark, or go for a boat ride from terrace to terrace in Amsterdam. But let’s not forget what day it is this Sunday, as it’s Mother’s Day! We’ve lined up the 14 x Best tips for Mother’s Day 2018 for you. Outside of all the festivities you can also go to brunches this weekend, a silent disco party, the opening party of StrandZuid and much more. Check out our 27 best tips for THIS weekend in the Amsterdam Weekend Guide for May 11, 12 and 13. Enjoy!
HAPPY WEEKEND! <3
PS: There’s a new vlog this week on Travelkids.co! I’ll tell you all about my new life of draining breast milk & cuddling! Have a sneak peek behind the scenes, and you can also follow me on Instagram! And for whoever likes to see it I also have an extensive baby room tour video for you.
27 tips for things to do this weekend in Amsterdam
- This Sunday it’s Mother’s Day! Do you already have a good plan on what to do on this day? Check out our 14 x Best tips for Mother’s Day 2018 >>
- De Rollende Keukens are back in the Westerpark this weekend! Nice: because of Liberation Day it’s an extra long edition! Check out our extensive blog on De Rollende Keukens Amsterdam here >>
- StrandZuid is open fur business again! And they’re celebrating that this Friday with a Grand Opening Bierborrel. It starts at 5 in the afternoon so you can get there straight from the office ;-). The entrance is free and you can also get there by boat (till 9PM). Check out the Facebook event here.
- Do you feel like doing something cultural this weekend? Then pay a visit to the Park Hotel Amsterdam. They’ve set up all kinds of art works by local artists in their special room The Gallery Zone. Every two months a different artist or gallery gets the spotlight. Nice to have a peek inside! Click here for more info.
- For a minute it seemed like it would be called off, but luckily that hasn’t been the case! The Vondel Disco isn’t held in the Vondeltuin anymore, but the party will go on, in the Amsterdam Museum that is. Check out the Facebook event here.
- New York New York! If you’re a fan of the Big Apple you’ll want to see this exposition. You can visit it up until June 30th 2018 in the gallery of Eduard Planting in the Jordaan. Photographer of the series, Richard Koek, lives in Brooklyn and Amsterdam and wants to show his love for New York through his photos. Click here for more info.
- Fashionista’s beware! This weekend is the International Fashion Week in the World Fashion Center. Both Saturday as Sunday you can come here and watch catwalks, go shopping and get to know everything about fashion and design there is. Check the Facebook event here.
- Want to go to a festival this weekend? That’s possible! Don’t Feed The Animals is at the Houthavens this Saturday. Expect many blow up animals, vega tropical food, and of course music! Click here for the Facebook event.
- YES, oysters for € 1,- at Alex + Pinard this Friday. Talking about a good start of the weekend, right? ;-) With a little bit of luck we can sit out on the terrace at this hotspot in Amsterdam East. Check out the Facebook event here.
- Gebrouwen door Vrouwen is celebrating their third anniversary! They’re celebrating it this Friday at Broer Frederik Hendrikplantsoen. It starts at 5PM and it’s including a BBQ, a beer relay and of course all their types of beer! Gin Weizen, anyone? Click here for the Facebook event.
- Razmataz is all about the Lobster this weekend during their Lobster Weekend. From Friday till Sunday, you can take place here (or on their terrace for example ;-) ) for a lobster prepared as it’s meant to be: with clarified butter, fries and salad Check the Facebook event here.
- Are you going for a boat ride this weekend? Check out the 25 x Best terraces that you can visit by boat in Amsterdam!
- Do you already have tickets for Taste of Amsterdam? Check out our blog to have a chance of winning 10 x 2 tickets >>
- Nice: The World Press Photo Exhibition in De Nieuwe Kerk is still in full swing. Have you already been there? Check the Facebook event here.
- Are you more an evening person? This weekend the Verknipt Techno Special is in the Warehouse Elementenstraat. This is a party that techno lovers for sure won’t want to miss out on! Click here for the Facebook event.
- Hotspot with a large terrace, Dapper, on the corner of the Jacob van Lennepkade and the Bilderdijkstraat, is turning four years this weekend! They’re celebrating it the entire Saturday. With live music, cocktails and bar bites among other things. Nice! Check out the Facebook event here.
- At Bar Fisk in De Pijp the oysters are € 1,50 this Sunday. Of course their terrace is open as well and we can order a glass of champagne or cava with it. Check the Facebook event here.
- Dog lovers will want to go here! On Sunday you can bring your furry friend to the great movie Isle of Dogs (by the same director as The Grand Budapest Hotel) in the Cinecenter. So go for a nice walk with your dag and grab a movie on the way, sounds good doesn’t it? Click here for the Facebook event.
- Is the Veggie Festival already noted in your schedule? June 15 till June 17 2018 this festival is held on the NDSM wharf.
- In Amsterdam East it’s party time on Saturday and Sunday at 24H Oost. In collaboration with IAmsterdam they’re organizing an art and culture festival, with music, cocktails, and many sorts of art. It’s on the Middenweg, check the Facebook event here with more info.
- YOU’LL WANT TO SEE THIS: The “My Name Is Prince” exposition can be visited up until June 8th in the Beurs van Berlage. Read all about this unique exposition on the life of pop legend Prince here >>
- This weekend is also the weekend of the Eurivision Song Festival. Are you going to cheer for “our” Waylon? Many bars are airing it live!
- We just recovered from the last edition, but the next one is already knocking on our door at Lokaal Edel. Of course I’m talking about the Boozy Brunch on Sunday! Good to know: no menu stress, but several brunch platters that you can choose from. Check the Facebook event here.
- Do you already know which Food Festivals you’re going to attend? Check out our ultimate Food Festival Guide 2018!
- A Drink with a View at Juniper & Kin this weekend. Every Friday night they have several DJs playing here, lots of cocktails and of course the view over our city. Click here for the Facebook event.
- Would you like to stay up to date of all the spots that are opening soon? Then keep an eye on our ‘Coming Soon‘ list!
- Feel like meeting up with friends this weekend? How about: one of these best coffee bars in Amsterdam? Or at one of these nice wine bars?
THINGS TO DO:
⋙ Canal Cruise by day or in the evening
⋙ A bike tour through Amsterdam OR Rent a bike by yourself
⋙ The best view over Amsterdam from the A’DAM Lookout
⋙ Visit Artis Royal Zoo
⋙ Rijksmuseum with the Dutch masters
⋙ Van Gogh Museum, a staple in Amsterdam
⋙ Stedelijk Museum for modern art lovers
⋙ MOCO Museum for street art
⋙ Photography museum FOAM
⋙ Amsterdam Light Festival (during winter months)
⋙ Cruise like a local with your own boat (great with good weather!)
ONE OF A KIND:
⋙ Discover the Instagrammable experience WONDR
⋙ Red Light District tour
⋙ Get out of town and into the Dutch country side of Giethoorn
| TIP: Buy an I amsterdam City Card. Save money on entrance fees to museums and attractions, public transport and profit from discounts on everything from restaurants to concerts. You can also skip some lines to make the most of your time in Amsterdam! You can buy a card for 24 hours up to 120 hours. Check the prices here >>
Our favourite hotels:
AFFORDABLE // €
☾ Generator Hostel: the best poshtel of the city located in a park.
☾ The Student Hotel: budget proof in trendy East.
☾ Het Volkshotel: affordable and with a cool rooftop bar.
☾ CitizenM: all you need is that XL bed (location near Amstel is great).
☾ Motel One: budget design hotel with locations at
VERY VERY NICE // €€
☾ Hotel V: with two locations and a great restaurant, in the city center and East.
☾ Sir Adam: with the coolest view over Amsterdam.
☾ Sweets: a unique stay in former bridge houses.
☾ Park Plaza Vondelpark: located next to Vondelpark and beautifully renovated.
☾ Hotel Dwars: small scale around the corner of the trendy Utrechtsestraat.
☾ Pillows Anna van den Vondel: great hotel close to Vondelpark.
☾ Hotel Mercier: new hotel in the cosy and historic Jordaan district.
☾ INK Hotel: lifestyle hotel in the heart of the city.
☾ The Hoxton: favourite lifestyle hotel right on the canals.
☾ Morgan & Mees: boutique hotel in Amsterdam West.
☾ Conscious Hotel Westerpark: in a beautiful building at the industrial Westergas area.
☾ QO Amsterdam: eco design hotel with a great skybar.
TOP LUXURY // €€€
☾ Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam: if you have something to celebrate this is the one.
☾ Pulitzer Amsterdam: on the canals at the border of the Nine Streets and the Jordaan.
☾ L’Europe: this hotel has the best spa with a view in Amsterdam.
☾ Conservatorium Hotel: located in one of the most beautiful buildings in town.
☾ W Amsterdam: with great restaurants and a rooftop bar with swimming pool.
Let’s get social
I really hope you enjoy your time in Amsterdam! On my Instagram account @yourlbb you can find more recommendations and new hotspots in town.