Amsterdam Weekend Guide: February 21-23!21 February 2014
Amsterdam Weekend Guide for February 21-23
Sometimes being a travel blogger is hard… Amsterdam is just to cool on the weekendsto go abroad ;-). This weekend there are so many cool things going on! From hippies market to a new club opening. Never a dull moment in Amsterdam ;-). I’m in NewCastle this weekend to visit the Traverse travel blog event and meet up with my blogger friends. And score some cheap outfits for my holiday to Austin next week!
But first it’s time for the Amsterdam Weekend Guide! As you all know I’m a weekly guest with Your Little Black Book on English Breakfast Radio (local radio 99.4 FM, or SALTO on TV). Every Friday I curate the coolest events in town for the weekend guide with handpicked things to do in Amsterdam. Enjoy your weekend!!
– This weekend the new location of Spaghetteria opens in Amsterdam West. From Saturday February 22 you’re welcome for one of the delicious pastas! Please check their Facebook page before you go to make sure that there’s no delay in the opening date.
– A new coffee slash juice bar slash lunchroom opened the doors in Amsterdam West at the Bilderdijkstraat. We love the interior and can’t wait to try and test some of the coffee at Berry Amsterdam!
– Remember Ome Adje? The soulful Chef who’s present at a lot of festivals and food events? He celebrates his 3rd b-day at the new Disco Dolly in Amsterdam. A cooking demo with delicious bites, tunes and interactive games. A unique experience guaranteed! Saturday 22 February 5 pm – 05 am.
– Did you already book one of the foodie workshops at Sla LAB? Discover them here! Most of them under € 30,-.
– Club Odeon opens the doors again after a year of remodelling! Years ago this was a cool place to go clubbing… and from tonight on it’s again. With the cool parties of Nachtdieren every Friday!
– YES! This Sunday you can go to the Moderne Hippies Market at Amsterdam Roest again. Check out and buy the cool items of many Indie designers in Amsterdam, meet with friends for a drink and enjoy the food. One of the best Sunday markets in town!
– The Stedelijk Museum is all about art, technology and science this weekend at the Sonic Acts Art festival. Expect a lot of audio visual art presentations and lectures.
– I kinda have the feeling that the winter is over already… but at the Olympic Stadium it’s more winter-ish than ever. With the coolest ice skating rink in town. Until March 2.
– From Monday February 17 to Sunday February 23 you can check out the exhibit Follow Your Heart at Hutspot. 12 designers created a unique poster that will also be featured in more than 300 outdoor advertising displays in Amsterdam. So keep your eyes open and maybe you spot one!
– Do you remember all the parties you had a as a teenager where you went bowling? Ready for a flashback? Go out and play at Trouw’s pop-up ‘Club Lebowksi‘ with a real bowling lane.
– Every Sunday there’s a mini festival called Wintercircus going on at Thuishaven in Amsterdam Westpoort at the Moermanskade.
– This month it’s movie month at Bar Bukowski! With every Sunday evening a different movie (with beers and snacks!).
– Psssst… save the date for the weekend of the Rollende Keukens (food trucks) at Westerpark from May 28 to June 1. Read more here.
– Amsterdam East has a ‘new’ theater! Actually it’s a merge of two theaters, but what is brand new is the restaurant. The Oostblok theater serves dishes of local produce. Check out the agenda of the theater here.
– This week the exhibit for Barbie’s 50th birthday bash opened at Tassen Museum Hendrikje. This exhibit is celebrating that Barbie is in The Netherlands for 50 years. Fun to go to with your mum or sister! They also serve a special Barbie High Tea. Until May 5.
– I have to confess… I’ve been to one of the most touristy attractions in Amsterdam… The Heineken Experience. And did I every tell you that my grandpa used to work for Heineken? To celebrate the 150th bday of this beer. At the Stadsarchief until May 11.
– We always love the exhibits at the Eduard Planting Gallery and I have good news.. they have a new exhibit opening this weekend! From 11 January – 8 March 2014: ‘Arte e Eleganza’ – fashion photography by Gian Paolo Barbieri.
– New fashion exhibit at the Rijksmuseum about the history of the coat. From 1630 to 1940! Until June 8 2014.
– In FOAM there’s a new exhibit by William Klein from until March 12 2014.
– Fashion icon Fong Leng is honored with an exhibit about her life at the Amsterdam Museum. Until March 16 2014.
– Have you been to the pop-up store at the Jan Eef yet? Go there while you can! The town is giving them a hard time… stupid, because concepts like this make the Amsterdam experience so much richer. So go to check them out if you haven’t been there yet and show your support. Great hotspot for coffee and sandwiches at coffee bar Cup of Jo.
– Modemusthaves one of our favourite webshops for affordable and on-trend fashion opened a pop-up store at the Haarlemmerdijk 41. This Friday to Sunday 23rd 10 am – 6 pm.
– CP113 is a new concept store on the East side of town. Located at the upcoming Tsaar Peterstraat in Amsterdam you’re welcome for coffee, clothes and more.
– If you’re into beautiful stationary the Misc store is the place to be in Amsterdam. What started as a successful webshop is now one of the coolest stationary stores in Amsterdam.
– Click here for an overview of the best shops in Amsterdam that opened the doors last 6 months.
– Dophert is a new foodie hotspot at the Spaarndammerstraat in Amsterdam West where it’s all about vegan deliciousness! Open for lunch during the day and take-out dinners!
– Do you like Japanese food? Then Ku Kitchen at the Utrechtsestraat is a restaurant you will like!
–Dr. Blend is a great new place for superfoods! For the healthiest smoothies and wraps in Amsterdam at the Herenstraat. I’m sure you will love it!
– Did you already go to Dvars for the best cocktails in town? Good news! They serve brunch now as well.
– Bar Mick is a new cafe restaurant in the Spaarndammerbuurt in Amsterdam West. Beside De Walvis one more reason to go down to this district!
– Have you been to pop-up restaurant Repéré yet? My full report about this temporary hotspot is now online and I can’t wait to go back again!
– Do you have plans for coffee with friends this weekend? Here are some of our favourites:
* Coffee Bru
* Six and Sons
* De Ruyschkamer
* Two For Joy
* De Laatste Kruimel
* Bakers & Roasters
* Stach Food
– Great hotspots in Amsterdam West! Voldaan is the place to be for soup and (meat)balls. I was there this Saturday and love this place and the food. Perfect for an easy dinner or lunch!
– Recently I discovered restaurant De Luwte at the Jordaan. This place is around for 27 years and has a brand new concept since last year. It’s a real neighbourhood gem and if you haven’s been there yet… it’s a must go. Check out the delicious food we had there. You will love it.
– The Culinaire Werkplaats is open again! With a brand new tasting experience with the theme ‘Moscow Design’. Until March 2. If you’re looking for a vegetarian restaurant this is a great place!
– Our favourite salad bar SLA opened a second location at the Westerstraat last week. So start the new year with a healthy salad! They are also going to do workshops at SLA LAB this year so stay tuned for more info on that.
– YES! The pop-up store at the Jan Evertsenstraat in Amsterdam West is open again. With more than 14 vendors with unique items. Almost like Artists and fleas in New York!
– Curious about the restaurants that opened late 2013? Click here for an overview with the best new restaurants in Amsterdam
Have a great weekend everyone!
PS: more hotspots are in the Amsterdam Little Black Book. A city guide to Amsterdam with the best restaurants, shops and things to do. Always new addresses coming up so check out your online Little Black Book daily for the latest hotspots in town!
- Get our
- Amsterdam app
- With over 800 hotspots nearby
Now on Yourlbb.tv
Up for a day at the beach? These are the best beach clubs in The
Up for a day at the beach? These are the best beach clubs in The
A quick bite, shared dining or extensive dining at De Pijp? Check out our restaurant
For everyone who loves upscale dining and finger licking good food!