4 x the best beaches in Athens close to the city center15 August 2017
Tip: go to the beach during your city trip in athens!
Lisbon, Nice and Barcelona are the classicly known cities to go to for a city / beach vacation. But what you might not consider, is that Athens is also located by the beach! If you take a tram you’re at the beautiful Greek Rivièra in no time (around 20-30 minutes), where you can lay down your towel for a well-deserverd day on the beach and some swimming. The beach in Athens is several kilometers long, which means there are lots of different coastal places and beach hotspots to be found here. The tram drives along the coast which means you can get out whenever you please. Of course we’ve asked the locals where THEY like to go to the beach on their day off. That’s why, in this blog, the best beaches in Athens according to the locals.
4 x the best beaches in athens to relax
One of the most popular beaches is Glyfáda, also known as the urban beach of the coastal region. Here you’ll find lots of beach clubs where they party until late in the evening. The beach is pretty sheltered and it progressively decreases, so it’s very suitable for some paddling. Voúla is also recommended. A pretty gold-yellow beach where you can engage in watersport activities, and there are terraces, shops and restaurants. Besides these two Vouliagmeni and Kavouri also belong to the best beaches in Athens to enjoy the Greek sun.
Take the tram, especially at night when the temperatures rise in the city, to the Greek Rivièra. Go out for a walk on the beach or visit one of the beach clubs and have some delicious sea food.
Athens Travel Tips
MORE TRAVEL TIPS ON ATHENS: Are you looking for more tips on Athens? Make sure to check out these handy lists from our extensive Athens Travel Guide with lots of more tips or pay a visit to the site visitgreece.gr for all practical information needed.
- 13 x fun things to do in Athens
- 9 x rooftop bars to watch the sunset from
- 11 x cocktail bars not to miss
- 4 x the beach beaches in the area of Athens
- 9 x cute coffee bars to get a frappé
- 5 x (foodie) markets to visit in Athens
- 14 x the best stores of Athens
- 13 x the best restaurants in Athens
THIS IS HOW YOU GET THERE: To name a few, Aegon Airlines, Transavia and KLM fly from Amsterdam to Athens. Would you like to be sure of the cheapest ticket? Then use the ticket searching engine Skyscanner.nl.
YOURLBB’S FAVOROURITE HOTELS IN ATHENS: During our last trip we’ve stayed in several nice boutique and design hotels in Athens. And good news: almost all the hotels have a rooftop bar that offer an amazing view of the city and with a little bit of luck they also have a pool there. These are some of the hotels that are guaranteed to let you have a great time:
– Electra Metropolis: a very great location, lovely pool and breakfast while enjoying the view of the Akropolis
– COCO-MAT Hotel: go to the lobby via the store and then check into your own studio with a commonly shared rooftop
– Semiramis: with an awesomely coloured pool
– New Hotel: on a mere 200m of the Syntagma Square
– A For Athens: without a doubt one of the best locations and best rooftop bars
– Twentyone: design hotel in the district Kifissia
– Periscope: modern boutique hotel in the Kolonaki area
– Athens Was: the buzzing rooftop bar alone will make you want to stay here
– Fresh Hotel: modern hotel with a beautiful rooftop pool
Now on Yourlbb.tv
Hallo 3e trimester! Na heerlijke weken merk ik dat het nu écht weer een stuk
Check our list with our favourite spots to order the tastiest milkshakes in Amsterdam.