Amsterdam Weekend Guide for January 19, 20 & 2119 January 2018
YES, it’s time for the weekend again! And it’s the third weekend of 2018 and we just discussed at the office that it already seems so long ago that it was Christmas. Pretty weird if you think about it and that the new year has really started. In this Amsterdam Weekend Guide you’ll find 40 tips witht hings to do, from cultural trips to clubbing tips and of course the foodie proof things to do! For example, you can go for a Sunday Lunch XL at Restaurant C, and it’s your last chance to watch the Amsterdam Light Festival and the Coolste Baan van Nederland in the Olympic Stadion has been opened. This and many more is what you’ll find in the Amsterdam Weekend Guide for January 19, 20 and 21.
HAPPY WEEKEND! <3
40 tips voor leuke dingen om dit weekend te doen in Amsterdam
- Haven’t been to the Amsterdam Light Festival yet? This weekend is your last chance! This Sundau is the last day that you can do the walking tour and boat rides and enjoy all the lighted art pieces.
- The sporty types can participate in the Vondelparkloop – Light the Night this Saturday at 7PM. Together with a large group you’ll run 10 kilometers and along the way you’ll cross some pretty lighted ornaments. That’s something else for a change to do on our Saturday evening ;-). Check out the Facebook event here.
- This Sunday you can score yourself a chick at Chicks on Sunday at Razmataz.A whole chicken out of the oven for 2, mashed apples and fries together with a beer by Gebrouwen door Vrouwen. Sounds like a good Sunday, doesn’t it?
- Would you rather have oysters than chicken? That’s also possible, at Remise47. On Sunday it’s time for Oesters & Bubbels. From this Sunday on you can check in here every week from 3PM – 7PM and they’ll take care of some live music.
- After Mister Makan it’s now the turn to Meatless District to host a pop-up at the Kopstootbar. So veggies will definitely want to visit here! Up until February 10 they’ll serve a 3-course menu every day (except for Monday and Sunday) in De Kopstootbar.
- Want to go to the party with the best view of Amsterdam? Then check out Madam this Saturday. Because the houseparty Madam’s View will then take place. Beforehand you can of course have something to eat there or go on the Over The Edge swing!
- On Sunday the Museum Market can be visitied on the Museum Sqaure. Here you can score the best and most unique gifts, for someone else or for yourself of course ;-). There are also lots of stalls with tasty food.
- The past couple of years, maybe tens of years, this has been a hot topic and now the end finally seems near. This Saturday is the very last open day of the North-South tracks before it finally opens on July 22nd 2018. Register for free through this site.
- Are you a fan of art? Then you’ll definitely want to check out De Hallen this Saturday. Because then they’ll host the Rembrandt Art Market in their passage again. The artists themselves are present to promote their work, or just to have a talk and the art is for sale for a affordable price. Check out the Facebook event here.
- Do you always have trouble finding nice clothes because of your length and/or size? Then check out the Kenzaa pop-up store in the Reguliesdwarsstraat. You’ll find the newest collection as well as items on sale. Click here for the Facebook event.
- This Saturday it’s National Tulip Day and that means that on the Dam you can get yourself a free bouquet from 1PM, taken from the over 200.000 tulips that have been stalled there. It’s always super busy so make sure to be there on time!
- Of course it’s time for a party this Saturday at the Chin Chin Club. The best house hits are being mixed with the best hiphop, so that’s a win-win for sure at Chin Chin Dynasty. Between dancing there are of course a lot of arcade games to play!
- It’s time for Thuishaven Wintercircus at Thuishaven this Sunday. Today techno legend Karotte will be the DJ for 10 hours long! Check out the Facebook event here.
- De Coolste Baan van Nederland is finally open and will be till February 28! So that means ice skating a lot of rounds in the Olympic Stadion. And afterwards you can have a seat at Loetje On Ice for the best steak by Loetje at this pop-up restaurant. You’ve earned it after the ice skating of course ;-).
- Are you a fan of music? Her music might not be to your exact liking, but that the woman can sing is a fact. Lady GaGa is performing in the Ziggo Dome this Saturday and there are still tickets. Her previous concerts had to be canceled because of illness so the expectations have been set high. Order your tickets here.
- want to do something else this Saturday evening for a change, other than clubbing or hanging out in a bar? Then check out the midnight show in Toomler. 6 stand up comedians will entertain you from midnight on, often by familiar faces like Theo Maassen, Henry van Loon and Patrick Laureij.
- Whoever feels like a fine dining lunch on Sunday definitely has to check out Restaurant C. They’ll host a Celsius Sunday XL then. You can choose from a 3 course to a 5 course menu, which can be extended with a wine arrangement or even a cocktail arrangement! Check out the Facebook event here.
but make sure to not skip these tips…
- At the end of last year we’ve looked back on all the new restaurants that have opened! In this list we’ve lined up 32 of our favourites suitable for every budget.
- Want to plan a coffee date with friends in the new year? These 12 coffee spots have opened their doors in Amsterdam in 2017!
- Every Saturday and Sunday it’s time for drinks at Partisan starting from 3PM. Delicious wines or a nice cocktail together with the best bar bites. Also a 3-course lunch menu is possible. Check the Facebook event here.
- On Sunday you can get the best Boozy Brunch at Lokaal Edel. From January 14 on they will host an extensive brunch on Sunday and they even have the option for unlimited Bloody Mary’s! Dangerous, but very tasty… And what’s convenient too is that it starts at 11AM and you only have to leave if you want to yourself. Check out the Facebook event here.
- Chances are that you’ve took a Polaroid photo while on a night out in the town. In a way this always beats a simple photo taken with your phone. And that’s exactly what Bettie Ringma and Marc Miller thought as well. Their exposition Polaroid Amsterdam can be seen in Galerie Stigter & Van Doesburg from January 13. They show the polaroids that they’ve took in the years 1979/1980 in the bars of Amsterdam. Fun! Check out the Facebook event here.
- Do you prefer a high tea over a boozy brunch? If yes, check out our list with 12 nice spots for a high tea in Amsterdam!
- Up until May 2018 the exposition by Roy Lichtenstein can be visited in the Moco Museum. Doesn’t the name ring a bell? Chances are you do know his work. This pop-up artist has made lots of well-known pieces of art and can be compared to Andy Warhol. The exposition of Banksy can also be seen up until May 2018.
- Till January 2019 you can see the exposition Fashion Cities Africa in the Tropenmuseum. At this new exposition in the Tropenmuseum the scenes of fashion in four large African cities play the lead: Casablanca, Johannesburg, Nairobi and Lagos. Lots of fashion designers, bloggers and stylists from these cities have gained worldwide popularity on social media. With their designs, photos and videos they inspire fashion lovers from all around the world.
- Would you like to make more cultural trips in 2018? Then check out our list with 13 beautiful expositions you can visit this January!
- Have you started this new year in a healthy way? Check out our list with 30 healthy hotspots to go for a guilt-free dinner!
- We can finally go ice skating in Amsterdam again! On the ice rink ICE Amsterdam on Museum Square all the skaters are welcome, from the pros to the beginners. Or also if you just want to drink a glühwein and support the skaters from the side, of course.
- And read all about at which museums you can have a great dinner closeby here!
- This Sunday a new expo will open at Pllek in the North of Amsterdam. This expo is called 1033 and is an ode to the NDSM wharf. According to the artist it’s both an art project as a cleaning project as he collected lots of garbage besides taking photos. Check out the Facebook event here.
- Are you a real lover of pizza? You’ll definitely want to know these 21 hotspots with the best pizzas!
- In 2018 Restaurant MOER has continued with their Seafood Sunday! At Bubbels & Oesters you can get the finest oysters for €1,-, G&T’s and live Jazz music! Click here for the Facebook event.
- Would you like to make a belated toast with your friends on the new year? Check out 18 hotspots in every neighbourhood of Amsterdam that are perfect for a drink here.
- More tips in our winter lists:
- Did you know that the curling track at Floor 17 is still open?
- Up until February you can visit the Beurs van Berlage to see the exposition “Legendary Trunks” about the history of the iconic Louis Vuitton suitcase. A must visit for anyone who’s into travelling, because you hear all about the history of travelling and the part the suitcase plays in that. I secretly would love one of those suitcases that you can put down as a wardrobe. Good old times!
- Feel like doing something different in Amsterdam for a change, but don’t know what? Check out our Amsterdam Bucketlist with 56 things you have to have done at least once in your life!
- Would you like to know which restaurants will be opening soon? Keep a close eye on our ‘Coming Soon‘ list! We’ve just added some new gems.
- Tip: We’ve got many more great lists! Check them here >>
PSSSST… DISCOVER MORE (TRAVEL)tips IN my (NEW) BOOKS!
- Feed Your Wanderlust – Travel Guide for a bohemian lifestyle (new in 2018)
- Staycation – 22 guides and shortlists for a vacation close to home (new in 2018)
- Wanderlust – Urban Travel Style Guide
- De Amsterdam City Guide (Dutch) & The Amsterdam City Guide (English)
Now on Yourlbb.tv
These are the restaurants that will soon open in Amsterdam!
These are the restaurants that will soon open in Amsterdam!
We’ve survived it yet again, the week is done and now it’s time for weekend! Of
SUNDAY FUNDAY! Don’t have a clue on what to do today in Amsterdam? Perhaps make