Amsterdam Weekend Guide for December 15, 16 & 1714 December 2017
Are you also totally in the Christmas mood yet? Maybe it’s still busy at work, but I’m slowly counting down to next week. After this weekend 5 more days and then it’s CHRISTMAS! I’m personally flying and driving this week from here to everywhere for my new books, so I can lock myself up from next week with a refrigerator filled with chocolate milk and get some writing done. And how pretty was Amsterdam with all the snow?
Do you have plans yet for this weekend? Go for Christmas shopping, perhaps make an appointment at the hairdresser or test that one restaurant with friends last minute in 2017? Before the quiet January month comes around this is the moment to enjoy the coziness in Amsterdam. Score yourself a lovely Christmas gift at the open house of Extreme Cashmere or transform your old shoes to a comfy woolly socks at the woolly socks pop-up atelier. This weekend the Christmas market at Museum Square also starts and there’s a nice market at the Mercator square. Keep an eye on the weather forecasts before you leave the house! In this new Amsterdam Weekend Guide for December 15, 16 and 17 I’ve lined up the best tips for you again and below we’ll share all the Christmas tips once more.
- Sunday December 17 it’s Cheesy Sunday at Restaurant MOER. So what to expect? Exactly, lots of cheese. There are several types of cheese fondue for € 15,- per person including vegetales and bread. They serve several specialty beers with it! A DJ will spin some funky jazz tunes on the background. Check out the Facebook event here.
- More cheese fondue? Check out a list with 10 hotspots in Amsterdam where you can get the best cheese fondue.
- Izakaya hosts a Supreme Brunch – The Christmas Edition on Sunday December 17. The brunch starts at 1PM, but if you’re joining later just for lunch you can also enjoy the live music, the entertainment and the DJ. Click here for the Facebook event.
- Mister Makan is a pop-up restaurant that’s opening its doors in the Kopstootbar. Up until the 13th of January you can come here for the best Indo street food. Does Mister Makan seems familiar to you? That can be correct, as they could be found at several festivals with their dishes from Jakarta and Bali. Good to know: they also have vegan options.
- Craving lobsters and oysters? If so, you should go to Proefwerk Sunday December 17! This Street Food Sunday is all about these two delicacies. So no street food this time, but sea food. Oysters are € 1,- but you could also of course choose a whole or half a lobster, and there are also lobster bitterballen on the menu.. Yum! Check the Facebook event here.
- More tips in our winter lists:
- Would you like to know which restaurants will be opening soon? Keep a close eye on our ‘Coming Soon‘ list! We’ve just added some new gems.
Tip: We’ve got many more great lists! Check them here >>
- We can finally go ice skating in Amsterdam again! On the ice rink ICE Amsterdam on Museum Square all the skaters are welcome, from the pros to the beginners. Or also if you just want to drink a glühwein and support the skaters from the side, of course.
- The beautiful Hortus Botanicus is open during the evening for a couple of dates in the winter. You can get a tour across the magical enlightened garden, have a three course dinner or just stop by for a drink. The Hortus By Light is very nice to do as a romantic evening with your lover!
- The Amsterdam Light Festival has started. This yearly light festival can be seen across the entire city and it’s yet again such a special sight from a boat. Very special to see all the pieces of light art from the water and there’s also lots of things to do at the Marine terrain!
- The Christmas Mercator Market is on the Mercator Square in the West of Amsterdam. You can score several musthaves here, either as presents for friends of for yourself ;-). They also sell locally brewed beer here and great food as snacks. Fun detail: the profits of lots of the food stalls benefit a charity. Check out the Facebook event here.
- Besides ice skating on the Museum Square you can also go to the Museum Market – Christmas Edition there on Sunday. A classic Christmas market for the ultimate Christmas feeling. Of course there’s also food and drinks. The market is open from 12PM till 6PM, so you can easily go straight onto the ice rink afterwards. Click here fot the Facebook event.
- And have you heard that the curling track at Floor 17 is open again?
- Up until February you can visit the Beurs van Berlage to see the exposition “Legendary Trunks” about the history of the iconic Louis Vuitton suitcase. A must visit for anyone who’s into travelling, because you hear all about the history of travelling and the part the suitcase plays in that. I secretly would love one of those suitcases that you can put down as a wardrobe. Good old times!
- Do you need to take it slow because all your budget is spent on doing Christmas shopping? These 13 things in Amsterdam will cost you absolutely nothing but are fun to do!
- Feel like doing something different in Amsterdam for a change, but don’t know what? Check out our Amsterdam Bucketlist with 56 things you have to have done at least once in your life!
- From December 14 – 17 you can go shopping at the Extreme Cashmere Pop-up Store. You can score the most beautiful items here on the Herengracht for four days. And believe me, once you’ve put on their sweaters you really don’t want anything else. Also fun: they have glühwein here to keep you warm during shopping! Check out the Facebook event here.
- WOW! This pop-up atelier on December 15 and 16 is all about woolly socks. And that is supposed to be the trend of 2018. Shoe designer Luc Aarts will show you what is possible with woolly socks and you can customize your old shoes here by him! Got you excited? You can read all about it here >>
- You can go shopping at the IJ-Hallen this weekend again? Saturday and Sunday is the very last edition of the year. Come early so you can score all the hidden gems before the rest of Amsterdam has awoken. On this best flea market of The Netherlands you can find the best vintage and second-hand items. Check out the Facebook event here.
- The Pure Markt in the Amstelpark had to be canceled last weekend unfortunately, because of the snow storm, luckily there’s a round two this weekend. Not in the Amstelpark, but in the Park Frankendael this time. You can find entrepreneurs here that sell all sorts of food, but also non-food items are for sale. Want to know more? Check out the Facebook event here.
- Do concept stores in Amsterdam also make you really happy any time? Whether you’re looking for nice gifts to give to friends or for yourself; in concept stores the options are really diverse and you are very likely to succeed. That’s why we’ve lined up our favourite concept stores to go shopping for the best items..
- Are you going shopping for Christmas gifts this weekend? We’ve lined up the best items for you:
- Are you going on a holiday in December and are you travelling from Schiphol? I’m lucky enough that I will be in Milan a couple of days next week and then London! I already can’t wait to go shopping after security, because I’ve got my eye on a very nice gift for myself :-). Are you flying from Schiphol before December 26? Do your Christmas shopping here, because via this link you can download a voucher for € 5,-, € 15,- or € 25,- worth of discount!
- Friday December 16 is the opening of the exposition Art is Trash in the O.D. Gallery on the Singel in Amsterdam. As the name might suggest, this exposition is all about pieces of art that has been made only from garbage. It’s the nickname of the Spanish artist Francisco de Pájaro and especially for this exposition he also made a piece of art from garbage in Amsterdam. Check out the Facebook event here.
- Check out the most beautiful photos at 5&33. From November to January they host the New Dutch Photography Talent here. The editors of the magazine by the same name have made a selection of what they think are the most special photos by talented upcoming photographers. Click here for all the dates on the Facebook event.
- Till January 2019 you can see the exposition Fashion Cities Africa in the Tropenmuseum. At this new exposition in the Tropenmuseum the scenes of fashion in four large African cities play the lead: Casablanca, Johannesburg, Nairobi and Lagos. Lots of fashion designers, bloggers and stylists from these cities have gained worldwide popularity on social media. With their designs, photos and videos they inspire fashion lovers from all around the world.
- Are you totally into the Christmas songs? Then go to the Nationale Opera & Ballet on Saturday December 16 around 3.30PM. In front of the entrance they host a sing-a-long under the name Christmas Carols. You can sing all you want here and there will be some free hot drinks and snacks. Click here for the Facebook event en start memorizing the lyrics ;-).
- The exposition EXPOSED x Jesper Just opens Saturday December 16 in the EYE Film Museum in Amsterdam. In this exposition the artist will let you see the space and architecture differently. All the actual topics will be discussed like gender and sexual identity. Check out the Facebook event here.
- In need of more inspiration? These are the 12 bext expositions in Amsterdam of the month.
- And read all about at which museums you can have a great dinner closeby here!
- It’s already time for Christmas on Friday December 15 at Mama Makan. Between 6PM and 9PM there will be some nice tunes by the DJs, they mix the best cocktails and make sure you get into the Christmas vibes in the Sound Bites x Hermit Gin | Jingle & Mingle Edition! And very nice detail: the first two drinks are on the house. Nice! Check out the Facebook event here.
- Dance to Hiphop, R&B, Dancehall hits from back then to the present. At Coconuts in the Bitterzoet the DJS will spin the best and most cheerful tunes. And of course the coconuts will not be missed, but there are also other tasty for you to drink on the dance floor. Click here for the Facebook event.
- This Sunday it’s time for party again at the Wintercircus at Thuishaven! Every Sunday it’s a festival here and the tickets are selling out fast, so be quick if you want to be there. Check out the Facebook events and tickets here.
- A party with a very special theme this Friday in the Marktkantine. Because this party is aimed at pregnant women! Knocked up – Party like your pregnant will be from 5PM till 11PMand is organized by Marinka, who is now 7 months pregnant. There is a silent disco and nice virgin cocktails. Great for mommy’s to be!
- This Sunday the W Hotel will host the Sunday Social X-Mas Special. Great for if you want to go dressed up on a Sunday. The entrance is free, all you need to do is to click ‘attending’ on the Facebook event.
- Flex working is hot! You might not immediately think of a party then, but they think differently at the Chin Chin Club. At this FLEX-werk party on Friday December 16 you can bring all your colleagues and coffee buddies with you on the dancefloor. Is great for the working vibe, isn’t it? ;-) Click here for the Facebook event.
- SkateCafe, the hotspot of the North of Amsterdam, is already 1 year old. They celebrate this on Saturday December 16 with a birthday party. Nice to eat something here beforehand, as they have a delicious menu here! Check out the Facebook event here.
TIP: We’ve put some new hotspots in our Amsterdam City Guide APP again. Discover over 700 of our best tips collected in 5 years of Your Little Black Book. From lunch spots to the best addresses in all of the areas in Amsterdam, restaurants and a ‘NEARBY’ function with a map so you’re sure to find the best addresses anytime and anywhere close to you. Our Amsterdam City Guide app is available for iOS and Android and will only cost you € 3,49, doesn’t contains any ads and will be provided of an update every two weeks with the latest hotspots. I hope you’ll have lots of fun with it!
Now on Yourlbb.tv
From East to West and from North to South. Discover the best coffee bars in
From East to West and from North to South. Discover the best coffee bars in
YES, it’s time for the weekend again! And it’s the third weekend of 2018 and
The Dirty Chicken Club Amsterdam has the golden combination: chicken, cocktails and street art!